Wednesday, December 29, 2010

" Something About My Christmas"

It is getting to that time when the Christmas decorations will be packed away for another year and I" vow" that I will never get overwhelmed over all this again.
I usually leave the decorations up until New Years day,but not sure there going to make it that far this year!!
I am glad that all the rich..non calorie..lol..foods of the past few weeks is done...of course nobody shoved it down my throat either, it was just pure lack of will power.  ; }
Some of you probably will have New Years party binges yet to come, but I will most likely be home with a warm fire, fall asleep in front of the TV. and turn in early!!  I really am not one to want to start my new year being over tired,and  bloated from over eating ! lol .... I don't drink alcohol so I wouldn't have to worry about that,  thank goodness...learned my lesson many, many years ago with that stuff!!
I don't made resolution about anything either !!   I know I'm pretty boring..lol
I am rambling again..... and I just wanted to give you and idea what Christmas is like for me ,in the way I decorate and some of the goodies I make !!
If you have read my( about me)  I like primitive, antiques and old item , and you will see that show in the photo's of my decorations and etc...


Backdoor entrance wreath with rusty bells for the Primitive look!!


Front of my garage with..pair of old ski's given to me...my former husbands
 grandfathers snowshoes on the left..,old LL bean boots, my fathers snowshoes (over 70 yrs.old)
my old sled and fur topped skates with bells on the laces ( anybody relating here)!! lol
My dads backpack over 70yrs. old made by Passamaquoddy Indians and the
 green backpack(my Dad got for me when I was about 13 teen years old) it  
was made by the Maliseet Indians.  Both  tribes plus two others live here in Maine!!

Antique Runner Sled that I restored!!



Looking out of kitchen area; left is the sidebar or buffet I restored that
I inherited from my Aunt ( it is over 100yrs. old) . The oil lamp on it belonged
to my Grandmother.   The hanging oil lamps are very old and and have not been
electrified to preserve there value!

If you have followed my blog for awhile you probably saw the post
where I told about how I had blacked out, fell and hit my head!!
I hit right on the outer edge of this hearth!!
This stove is 125yrs. old; still works; and throws way  more heat
than I can take.  One of the lanterns in the back my Mom used to
carry to bed when she was young, and other items there have come from family!!


Baskets all came from Grandparents, and made by Maine Indians!!
Well for the rest lets just say I collect stars ( not real ones  lol)
pears and what can I say ..I'm sort of a quack...just add some greens
red berries and ta-da !!

Sock knitted by my "sheep raising daughter"!!
Wool yarn of natural color from her sheep. Carded and
and spun by her also!   Given to me years back for Christmas!!
The mirror someone was going to throw away.  It had only a narrow
frame edge....so I made a 3 inch wider edge frame with floorboards
from the old attic and attached it to the original frame!!


My favorite .....the litttle tree's and decorations...
some are gifts ..some I have been collecting for years!!

Wow !! I feel a part two coming on so...tomorrow I will have more!!






8 comments:

  1. Grammie G, thanks for sharing your Christmas decorations. We will be taking ours down and putting them away but not until the weekend after New Year's. Surprise - we are on the road again, this time visiting family in NE - when should we stop over? Happy (early) New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beatrice...that's not a surprise..lol
    Your welcome any time!! Safe travel !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christmas decorations GG, they area bit "Old Hat" after Boxing Day.
    They just seem to be hanging around for no good reason. We don't bother with them anymore and as for the New Year, its a change of date really.
    Boring person arn't I.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Roy...Lets just say that's probably a man's opinion...; }
    I just think of as the creative side of me that's the way I am. New Years..yes I agree there!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! I love your home and your decorations! I am such a fan of old bells so your wreath is one of my favorite pieces...as well as the front of your garage. Too cool! Hope you are enjoying your snow filled world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jennifer & Steve..Thanks I thought you might..kind of right up your ally!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just read through your Christmas posts grammie.
    Looks like you have a great time. I love the decorations too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI Keith..thanks my friend...appreciate your comments!!

    ReplyDelete