Tuesday, November 16, 2010

"WHEN THE LEAVES HAVE FALLEN"

Once the trees become naked, striped of there glorious colors, it becomes hard to see the beauty of what is left other than drabness!!

I believe we as humans tend to look to what we see on the exterior, not seeking out the interior to find what is going on under that layer whether it be in nature or in human life!

This all came about after my walk one day last week.

 I was really missing all the delightful colors and, I just happened to look up into one such naked Oak tree that's branches had sprawled out over the road, and  to my surprise hanging high in the branches right over my head was a hugh Paper Wasp Hive.... and how  many times I had walked under that tree and never known it was there??
This was going on all summer long behind the scenes!!

I wish I could have gotten a better picture but it was a gray day,and when I went back on a better day it was gone!!  I think without the cover of the leaves it became vulnerable to the heavy winds and rain we had been having .  I looked around to see if I could find it but couldn't .

"It was hugh"
Hard to believe such  small insects could put that together !!

High up in the top of the White Birch Tree
a birds nest was hidden and protected by the leaves
of summer!

Another feathered friends hidden nest, until the leaves
fell and revealed it's presences!!


With the leaves of the trees you can see down
 into my little neck of the wood !!


In the foreground of the photo above, just beyond
that rows of trees, is this peaceful scene of the river!!


These berries appeared by the river
bank once the leaves of the underbrush fell!!


Would I have seen the moon visible in the middle of the day
if there had been leaves on the tree??



 It is hard to know what may be hidden, invisible, and unknown in nature our human life !!  I don't want to just see the exterior..... I want to be able to always see what the interior has to reveal....and call it beautiful!!

19 comments:

  1. Hi Grammie G, that was a beautiful post and tribute to the things we forget to look at because they may be hidden from view by other things we are seeing. Glad you are back to your walk arounds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, there are a lot of hidden gems out there that we never take the time to discover ... I'm talking people here. Some people are all on the surface ... but others ... make you dig a little ... and often they have the most to tell/share. Not the outward beauty but the inward beauty of the heart. But I don't think that's license to be a slob!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Beatrice...oh thank you so much but nature is the tutorial!!

    Hi Cicero...."I hear ya girlfriend" so true!!
    thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes GG, its quite amazing how insects can construct such a thing as that.
    Looks a nice area to walk and see lots of nature.

    ReplyDelete
  5. G'day grammie wow iv never seen a Wasp Hive before its really awesome im gonna show the kids that, and your very right we some times for get to look with in.. all of gods creations are beautiful,,and i love all the 4 changing seasons i was only reflecting on that yesterday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI Grammie, winter has a beauty all of it's own and you have revealed some of her charms.
    I am captivated by the paper wasp nest. An absolute work of art, they always fascinate me.
    We had one in our loft one year....did not worry me, I am accepting of much, provided it does not endanger those I love.

    I love to walk the gardens and see the nests hidden in trees and hedgerow.

    You live in a most beautiful part of the world, I am so pleased you are taking time to enjoy all that surrounds you.

    Stay well, stay happy.......

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, lovely images. It's fun to take images of the same places at different times of the year to appreciate them in different ways.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful world our God has created. Even in the dreariness of fall.. it shines through!! You did a great job capturing all that God has created!! Love this post! See you tonight,,hopefully!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful photos ! I myself being some what of a amature photographer can find beauty in everything, even a naked tree ! Have a great day !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Roy...Yes it is a nice area..
    And old saying about the paper hives is "how high the paper hives are built in summer is the measure of much snow you'll get that winter" "yikes" Thanks!!


    Hi Heidi...I am glad you enjoyed and that your kids will get to see the hive too.
    We do have a wonderful God who has giving everything to enjoy ..we just have to be aware of it all!! Thanks my new friend!!


    Hi Cheryl...You also live in a wonderful part of the world and I enjoy seeing your's too!!
    I think I have said before that I have an allergy to bee and wasp stings so I do take care not to disturb them...don't need any more emeregency hospital runs for awhile!! : } Thanks!!

    Hi Lois...it is interesting that which can be revealed when we stop to look and listen!!


    Hey Tracey...I was thinking of you this morning and hoping I might see you tonight at study!!
    Thank you my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi C.G ....whats that saying "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved this piece. At the beginning of it when you showed the wasp nest I was thinking, "Ya and what I love when the leaves are gone is that I suddenly see birds' nests everywhere." And then, TA DA! Of course, that's what you wrote of and photographed. Nicely done, indeed. And I really liked the moon shot and putting that in with the stuff we suddenly can see. Now, try to get Cirius (?SP), the blue dog star taht we can see to the east these nights......
    The new look to your site is great. I had missed this. And your new profile shot, too. Have I left anything out? I'm gushing now, aren't I?

    ReplyDelete
  13. HI Robin...If this crazy undecided weather doesn't change we won't be seeing anything in the sky let alone "the blue dog star" lol
    Must add that to the list just encase the opportunity arises!! ; }
    Thanks for all; even the things you might have forgot!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful post you got there. yeh sometime we can be quite impress by mother nature. We tend to forget that she is creating wonderful piece of art ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Chris...thank you"sweetie"I really have always been the kind to find something different and interesting in everything!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. ...huge wasp nest. Amazing how tucked away they are in the summer. love the berries as well!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great thoughts grammie. It really is what's usually hidden, that is the most interesting.

    Impressive wasp nest; and lovely looking river. Plenty there to explore, I bet.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Grammie. Good to see you are able to get out and view some of natures wonders revealed once the cloak of leaves falls to the ground. FAB.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great post! That's a nice hornet's nest up there in the tree! I love that last shot of the moon, too. I was riding in a car yesterday and noticing how many nests I could see now that the leaves are down. It is amazing how all that is hidden most of the year.

    ReplyDelete