Friday, November 26, 2010

"The day after " & " Thanksgiving day"

It's the day after Thanksgiving here in the states; the day half the population is out shopping to get what has been dubbed "Black Friday"..  big bargains for the Christmas rush!!
For some people this is a tradition; and are more than happy to fight for parking spots close to the door, 'and others prefer to walk through the parking lot in order to work of some of the day before's overeating, and then more exercise because they can't remember where to heck they parked there car when they get ready to leave!!   : }

While other's enjoy this I prefer not to die at the mall with human feet stampeding over me as I a pushed to
the floor at a local department store !!  "Only my opinion" : }

After awakening to the scenes in the photo's below, and freezing rain as the day has progressed  I am very contented to be in my humble ha-bode with a cozy wood fire, while my  favorite Christmas music plays....".Christmas" coming all to fast!!

(click on picture's to enlarge)
"Don't look like much"
Just try walking on it ...
Ice!!



Backing up until yesterday....I spend the day alone ...oooh... ( no sympathy please)!!
I had been at my daughters this past weekend and had our Thanksgiving time then when I could see my grandson (who would be with his Dad  yesterday) and my granddaughter (who had to work) so all was good!!
I took a walk and as I started out I thought "wow" it is cold; this is going to be a short one but,as I got moving it was much better and ended up walking 3 miles .  Not much to take pictures of and it was also overcast with just a peek or two of the sun, but as I came over a crest in the road, out in the field was a flock of Wild Turkeys .  "How fitting for the day".  lol !  I tried to get pictures, but they had seen me.. so I snapped away anyway!!



The only one half decent!!  They had gotten pretty far at this point
so I whistled and they at least stopped and looked  up!


My kind neighbors knew I was alone and brought me
a tray of Thanksgiving goodies !!
It was a good day!!
No pie though!!
DARN!!
oooop's
Be ye thankful!!


23 comments:

  1. Hi Grammie G, Sounds like you had a busy T-day week. I don't envy you the cold weather, but I do like those arbors in your garden!! ~karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it was most appropriate to see the wild turkeys. Those were the lucky ones, huh!

    I'm with you about Black Friday and any time there are crowds in the stores. I can wait.

    Happy day after!

    Lois

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photo in the preceding post of the sun shining in through the barn's cupola and windows deserves to be on a calendar. It's stunning. Or, send it to the Portland Press Herald's photo contest. You take such great photos all the time. I love the one of the dusting of icy-snow in this post. Very dramatic. Glad you had a nice early Thanksgiving and didn't mind just being by yourself yesterday. That's the spirit! You have thoughtful neighbors who obviously think a lot of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Karen...yes it was,but enjoyable!
    Thanks!
    About the arbors...I really enjoy making them from what ever may be in my face at the time,that I deem usable..lol : }

    Hi Lois...The ones who got away.. : }
    Thanks!!

    Hi Jean..Oh thanks so much..you are to kind though about the pictures..."but I'll take that" and maybe I will check out the Herald,s contest. lol ; }
    I do have wonderful neighbors!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have some nice neighbours GG.
    Ahm! are you telling me you ate all of that.??

    Lovely new header photo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful photos. What wonderful neighbors to do that for you that was very nice, but ya know what I would of thought the same as you, weres the pie lol oh my goodness thats bad isnt it lol . Glad you had a wonderful time with your family and have a great day !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Roy..yes I do...and "no"... there is a least 4 meals there!!

    Hi C.G. I would have eaten the pie first!!
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Roy...forgot..thanks for the comment on my header!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hello that was very kind of your neighbours, i wish Australians celabrated Thanksgiving it's weird how countrys are so differnt we dont do Halloween either :-( though we are seeing a bit more of it here but its not like christmas and easter ect ... iv been hearing a lot about Black friday sounds a bit like our Boxing day sales the day after christmas ....yes ya can grab a bargain but what ever happend to spending quite time with family and friends thats how it used to be we used to hit the beach when we were growing up since its summer here at christmas lol weird huh :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Heidi...Yes I have very nice neighbor...I have lived hear for 40 years!!
    The two most important holidays to me are Christmas and Easter the rest really don't have alot of meaning to then for me!!
    We could hit the beach here to, but we sure wouldn't be wearing a bathing suit. lol : }
    It is strange isn't it, but fun to know about these things from our different words!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Morning Grammie G, happy after holiday. We're with you on avoiding those black friday crowds - who needs the hassle? Glad you were able to see family and you have wonderful neighbors. Keep warm by the fire and keep those holiday songs going. Enjoy your weekend. Brrr on those ice images - we had nearly 70 degrees here in GA.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Folks..70 degrees...we won't be seeing those temp. for quite some time I'm afraid!!
    I'll keep the home fires burning and get my Christmas list finished. lol : }
    Have a good one!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a sweet post Grammie. There is no fun walking on ice......glad you were able to take a stroll, and a good one at that.

    Wild turkeys, wow......bet they have been worried on the run up to Thanksgiving......

    Temperatures have dropped rapidly here......everything is iced...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Cheryl...I think we are in for our weather to not be balmy for a while!!!
    Thanks..have a good Sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well it looks like you got the best of both worlds over two weekends. Fun family time and nice neighbours to supply a couple of meals!!!

    I've been debating whether to go to the coast tomorrow but at this point I'm thinking I might need to put it off for a week. Will decide finally tomorrow morning.

    Didn't sleep well last night and today had some emotional moments ... maybe because I didn't sleep well. Sometimes I just feel overwhelmed.

    Best tootle.

    TTFN ...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love that second ice photos...and the turkeys! You have really nice neighbors to think of you!! Good neighbors are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Ciero.. You take care I sure this will be a bit of hard time with Christmas coming!!
    Thanks!!

    Hi Kelly..thank you...there are good people in the world!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your turkeys in the field, Grammie. Some wild ones came through our yard once or twice and now we're always on the lookout for them.
    The arbors and icy lawn are pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm more than happy to skip the shopping. I do most of my shopping on-line any more. Beats tramping around a mall any day! Love the turkeys! How appropriate! Guess you will have to make your own pie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. That certainly looks cold there grammie. A log fire? Been a while since I sat in front of one of those. A wonderful heat, and feeling.
    Must be great to see Wild Turkeys like that. Hope they all manage to survive.
    Great neighbours you have too. I wish mine would feed me lol

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Jain...Hope your turkeys make a return visit ..I love watching them. : }

    Hi Mary... I do alot on line shopping to..hate the crowds too.
    I'm afraid if I make a pie I would eat the whole thing!!
    Thanks!!

    Hi Keith...If I lived next door to you I would bring you meal now and then..lol : }
    The turkeys seem to do just fine... I have counted over 50 in a flock in the fields and they like to visit the bird feeders!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm with you Grammie G. Christmas is for kids only, with 364 days for the shopaholics but 365 days for birding, which is a much better pastime. But I'm impressed with a flock of Turkeys and much better to see them like that and not on a plate.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Phil..thats cute....we have a lot of turkeys here!! Some with wings and some arms!! lol

    ReplyDelete