Wednesday, September 18, 2013

~~~Cute Little Song Sparrow~~~



I had a visitor to my front steps, the Song Sparrow, but of course he was there for the seeds I had placed there!!
I had purchased a bag of  quality expensive mixed seed containing thistle seed, shelled sunflower, etc.,early summer,and found the birds where picking out everything but the thistle seeds leaving the feeder clogged up so I have been throwing seeds from this bag in the driveway on the steps and etc.!!
I knew the Doves being ground feeders would probably like the mix, and they have !!

Last evening I was just coming in with the camera after missing a chance for a shot at the American Bald Eagle  "darn"!!, and there was this little cutie having a evening meal on the steps!!

Opportunity knocked, and he was obliging!!



The Song Sparrow 


Just as the name suggest he is a happy singer!!


I think they nested in the cedar tree at the corner of the house!!


They are very similar to the Vesper,
and Savannah Sparrows in markings making them had to tell apart!!


Though not very colorful, they make up for that with there feather markings!!







Okay Lady enough of this, I'm turning my back on you!! 

Linking to Wild Bird Wednesday

48 comments:

  1. Hi That is a lovely little bird with wonderful feathering and you say it sings well, Perfect i think. Great shots of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret... they are wonderful little guys!! : )

      Delete
  2. Great pictures. He may not be colourful but is just a pretty as can be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brill shots of the Song Sparrow and for once I agree with you Grace. Not very pretty but make up for their lack of colour with fine markings and their ability to produce a really good song. Remind you of anyone? By the way, my new son-in-law and me get on just fine as he likes a beer too.
    I expect some shots of that Bald Eagle next time I'm here, so no excuses if you don't mind.
    Your pal Shivering Slade (25 degrees down to 11!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil... you funny guy!!
      I'll try, but haven't seen him since!! : ))

      Delete
  4. Pretty shots of your Song Sparrow! Wishing you good luck on the Eagle sighting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those feather markings are something, aren't they? Wonderful shots of the little bird, Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sparrows are all the same to me. Glad you know there's a difference. But I like them all including this little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice close shots of that pretty bird

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely photos ! They are cute little birdies I like them and they sing so pretty to ! The birds here haven't been eating the thistle seed for months they prefer the oiled sunflower and wild bird seed . Thanks for sharing . Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elaine... I usually feed black oil, which is a favorite with all!!

      Delete
  9. I didnt know song sparrows would eat thistle Seeds! Awesome shots Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful shots! I think Song Sparrows are very sweet and pretty little birds. I see mine mostly in the winter when they come closer to the house looking for seeds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary... We don't have them in winter, just the summer months!!

      Delete
  11. Our sparrows are noisy little devils. I enjoy them though. This one is very obliging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adrian... This one has a sweet song : ) !!

      Delete
  12. Lovely Sparrows, they get everywhere, and why not. Love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob.. The House Sparrow is the one that is always at Walmart inside too!! : )

      Delete
  13. Really clear markings on this bird. Shame about the Bald Eagle GG.
    Seeds are a ridiculous price here as well.
    I think they play on people's emotions wanting to feed birds and charge a lot for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy... The Bald Eagle was against a beautiful blue sky too "darn"!
      Yes prices are, and I need to purchase a 40lb bag at $24.95!! Don't know what that would be in your currency !!
      Feeders to,for a really good one!!

      Delete
  14. What's with the thistle seeds? Our birds use to eat us out of house and home of thistle seed. Now this year, we stocked up, and they won't touch it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Muffy... I have never had luck with them, but thought the summer birds might like them!!
      My neighbor said one bag they had bought a Tractor Supply the birds didn't touch, and the one they got at Walmart ( of all places) they ate right up!!
      Go figure!!

      Delete
  15. Adorable and you got some super photos Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  16. so cute and sweet. they don't get enough attention, because of their lack of color but brown is a color and their feather pattern is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie...tis-true they don't get the attention!! : )

      Delete
  17. What a beautiful photos from a beautiful bird!
    Greetings, RW & SK

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi grammie, cute little guy. I really enjoy your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Perky look little chap (or chapess!)

    Nice.

    Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful little bird Grace... many thanks for sharing your lovely images

    ReplyDelete
  21. A cutie indeed. It's nice that you saw a bald eagle, they're not an everyday sight.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very sweet...maybe that's the same bird I showed (not as well) that I couldn't ID for sure.

    ReplyDelete