Wednesday, September 25, 2013

~~~~ Lift Off To Landing~~~


I was fresh out off any birds to post for WBW so wasn't going to do one this week, until a late afternoon walk yesterday!!
I was hoping there would be some ducks on the river, and there was, but to far down river!!

I was standing on the bridge taking a couple of shot's to use to identify with for my observations on eBird , when I heard water splashing near the bridge !!   Sure enough there he was the Great Blue Heron, and not the first time I have had this happen to me with one there!!
Really,you'd think I would remember that!!

Well these are not the clearest of photo's, and the first couple only had half a wing in them : ) !!



We have lift off!!














And landing!!


Linking To Wild Bird Wednesday

39 comments:

  1. It looks to be a bit bigger than our Grey Heron GG. You did recover from the shock and got some nice shots anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy...I know that they are close to 5 ft. full wing span !! I didn't get a chance to measure ; ) !!
      I did recover, swung that camera, and held my finger on there an let her click !!

      Delete
  2. WHat a lovely sight! Nice shots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Grace...A bit late with the reactions there, but you caught up with it in the end...lol
    You still managed to get a nice sequence of images though...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trevor... He is a big fella, and can give you a startling that for sure!! : )

      Delete
  4. HI Grace Great flight shots. Lovely to see the slow movement of these birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret... I loved to see them take off!!

      Delete
  5. Wow! Those are some wings! Interesting shots.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photos of the heron - it's a beautiful bird. I especially like the photo which shows the patterning on the top of the wings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic photos ! Thanks for sharing . Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such neat photos of this bird in flight Grace. I don't usually get to see them flying like this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Grace, lovely shots of the GB Heron in flight. They are always a treat to see! Have a great evening!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These guys have such a massive wingspan. These pictures show that very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth.... Ya it is had to believe until they take to the air : )

      Delete
  11. HE said WHEW that lady scared me...love that series, today a migrant Red Breasted Grosbeak came to the feeder...no photos tho it sure was cool to see!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sondra... Ya and he scared me...but I guess this old girl can react fast !! : )
      RB Grosbeak at least you saw him!! : )

      Delete
  12. Nice set of pictures - I often wonder what bird "think" the first time they take off!

    Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those wings are so majestic in flight. A wonderful sight.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Grace,
    Great shots of that Great Blue Heron, you managed to have all the movements... : )
    Love your text, as always, a bit funny!
    Have a great weekend and take care,
    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are a lucky lady, lovely shots of the Heron.

    ReplyDelete
  16. what an awesome series, the gbh, one of my favorites!!

    have a wonderful weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The great blue heron is wonderful to watch during take offs and landings whenever I have been lucky enough to see them at Chincoteague NWR near us. But I have not always been as lucky to capture them as yourself, Grace.

    ReplyDelete