Just about every day, from the woods in back I hear the loud wild laughing call, of the Pileated Woodpecker!! I have tried to hunt him down to no avail on many occasions!!
Opportunity came knocking right in my back yard!!! I saw the flash of him landing on the truck of the apple tree....CRAP... here I am listening to the furnace repair man with his hand on the door knob explaining a few thing as he was about to leave!! " I wonder".. does he see that crazed look on my face that says "I don't care about the furnace I want to get my camera" so would you leave "already" please, ...and don't "scare the bird on your way out"!!
Camera...now where are you birdie..."darn he's not there"!! Then out from in back of the Willow tree appears his head ...I got to get these shot, some not so great!!
Busted...so around the back of the tree he goes!!
The Pileated
is the biggest Woodpecker in the US. measuring 15-19 inches long !!
"Oh Goody" ...he came around on the other side , and it looked like he was trying to blend in!
"With that red head" ... impossible !!
He moved up a bit , and I was able to get his head better!
With his loud call of he flew to a tree further away !!
The wingspan is 26-29 inches across!!
I walked down toward where he was and he flew up in this tree....and
Off he went back to the woods ...in a blur !! : }
OK, the pictures of the woodpecker are great but, I gotta tell ya, they are a curse here at my cabin. With all the trees around, for some reason they like to peck on my cabin walls. It is a chore having to go out and shoo them off.
ReplyDeleteawesome! i'd have run the furnace man off, too!
ReplyDeleteThey are elusive birds, we have them here and are equally as hard to get good shots. I really like the one where you got the wing span... good job. You didn't knock the furnace guy over getting out the door, did you?
ReplyDeleteCan you imagine what you would be like with a better camera? I'm surprised you didn't push him out the door - lol. No room to talk here, we both know that!
ReplyDeletereally love that shot with the wings and tail all spread out...awesome!!!!
ReplyDeleteI had a visitation in my yard this past week too...I think they are more plentiful now than ever before, still hard to get a good photo of tho!! YOU Did a great job.
Great pictures Grace! We love those pileateds! Awe inspiring, really. Wishing you well!
ReplyDeleteOh wow! That first flight shot is amazing. This is a beautiful and special bird.
ReplyDeleteGelungene Momente in der Natur, schön aufgenommen...
ReplyDeleteGrüsse aus der Schweiz
Hans-Peter
haha....i am always on the phone when i NEED to be taking pictures, whats with people....i miss the most amazing shots. it's almost like the birds know i'm on the phone.
ReplyDeleteit must have felt great to get these.
i hope you feel better, although i do like your nice comments, the others are more entertaining!!
Glad you were able to get some shots. It's hard--they don't seem to like to pose---unlike Paris Hilton-haha!
ReplyDelete:D
Grace, sure glad you were able to dispense with that furnace guy quickly to get these shots to post and share. After all, who needs heat in warm weather and those cold and snowy Maine winters are months away!
ReplyDeleteHi Grace,
ReplyDeleteWhat a beauty, and what a capture.
Well done......wonder what the furnace man thought :-}
Just LOVE the shot of the bird in flight. Yes, it's amazing how furnace guys and phone calls can interrupt our most important activities, isn't it!
ReplyDeleteHi John...Sorry you have to shoo them off..maybe you could get a picture and post it them everybody would think that was "real lucky to have seen one" ; }
ReplyDeleteThanks!!
Thanks Teresa..LOL
Thanks Muffy ...no he was lucky I went out the back door lol!!
Thanks Renee "my darling daughter".. two peas in a pod we are ...soooo when are you going to help me with the " better camera" like you promised !! : }
Thanks Sondra...: }}}
Thanks J&S...appreciate it!!
Thanks Ruth..: }}}
Thanks Han-Peter : }
ReplyDeleteThanks Debbie...I see the best butterflies while mowing the lawn, lol!!
Thanks Sue...LOL!! : }
Thanks B ...hahaha!!
Thanks Cheryl...not sure...lol!!
Thanks Lois..always the way for sure !!
Hi Grace, wonderful captures of the Pileated. The flights shots are awesome, especially showing off those pretty wings. Have a great day!
ReplyDeleteWhat fun you had capturing this beautiful bird...I had no idea they were so big or that their wing span was so wide.....Great shots....
ReplyDeleteI'd love to see one of these. You did a great job, especially the flight shot! I wonder if people see our eyes glaze over when they're talking to us us and that perfect photo subject comes into view....
ReplyDeleteLOL ... I so totally understand about running off the furnace man. Great pictures of this beautiful bird. We don't have any around here in our neck of the woods!
ReplyDeleteWow what a chance you got, and how well you got it! The fourth picture is my favortie as we can really see its size and the nice wing pattern... Well done!!!
ReplyDeleteGreat shots Grace! I too have this opportunity but I didn't succed yet to capture this bird. Maybe one day...
ReplyDeleteHave a superb weekend!
Louise
wow..the wing span photo is great! Glad you got all these photos. Love your story about the furnace man :-) I'm surprised you didn't literally push him off the doorstep and grab and camera and run...I think I might have! LOL Or you could have invited him to see what a Pileated Woodpecker looks like. Your patience has won you some great shots.
ReplyDeleteWow Grace that is some bird to have in your garden - really gripped me off.I'll swop you for a boring old UK bird anyday. Enjoy your bread and jam I'm going back to my ensaimada and coffeee now.
ReplyDelete