Well the truth is I was walking in the back of my property near the wood, and there is a bit of a wet area with tall ferns and trickle of a running water there!!
The camera and I was looking to find something worth taking a few photo of !! I had make the circle path through the wooded area, and was heading to the mowed area when I felt like I was being watched !!
Turned my head, and there was "this duck".....what in the world, and where in the world did it come from????
I pull the camera up quickly thinking this is going to be my only chance before it flies, so I was clicking away!!
This photo makes me laugh every time I see it now..LOL!!
My first thought was my goodness am I seeing things...I had never seen one except in a cage, I believe at the "Common Ground Fair" !!
I must have startled it when I walked around the wet area!!
No she didn't fly ...just just strolled on like she belonged there!!
So I kept walking toward it!!
When she did this I thought..that's it, it's about ready to take off!!
Then there was that little tail wag thing , like saying hello...!!
Closer ...about 8 ft.!!
Then it starts this looking up at something...
Good grief it is catching and eating bugs...now I am laughing...you can tell I couldn't hold the camera still!!
I walked right up to the silly thing....
it kept right on catching bugs!!
It kept doing it's thing : } So...
I decided to go to the house ,and do some checking on it, and had in my mind .. "Muscovy Duck"!!
~~~~~~~~
Came up empty on anyone who own such ducks anywhere near here..
So and email , and photo to the gentlemen who does the confirming of identification for ebird in my area.
Answer back it is most likely is a feral Muscovy , the people who raise then are supposed to keep there wings clipped and well penned in !
He also said that it has not been mix bred much because it has nice clean markings with
a very nice natural coloring of black-green-blue of its back feathers... so if anybody knows more about them let me know!!
~~~~
Mid -evening I went up to see if it was still around, and there it was laying on a cozy pile on the tree line!!
I walked right up to it ( with a hand full of bread of course) !!
I put the bread down and it came right over...ate it and went back to it's spot : }
Just at dusk I saw it fly up from the back lawn ....went up very high,and circled the house twice
dropped down lower as it passed over the area from which it came and was gone!!
I wonder if it had had a long flight and was just resting...hmm... guess I will never know ???
Every day is an adventure in my backyard ..
"Do I live on a wild animal farm and not know it"???
Wonderful photos ! I feel the same about here . We see and hear so much nature it's hard to keep up with it all . I wouldn't have it any other way though ! Have a great day !
ReplyDeleteLOL. THere is never a dull moment! After dealing with critters this past week, a duck would be welcome... this week I have had to deal with a raccoon on Thursday morning and a skunk that ventured into an un-baited live trap yesterday morning ... while the skunk did not spray me when I released him, his odor permeated my raincoat, clothes, hair and shoes...timing was bad too, I was just heading out the door to church when I saw him in the trap. Not the best way to start off a Sunday morning!
ReplyDeleteI would have guessed some kind of odd Muscovy GG, they do vary quite a lot. They are nice old ducks really, typical farmyard types, which is where I have seen most of them
ReplyDeleteGrace, what a neat visitor for your yard. It was nice that it dropped by just to see you and eat some bread too. Wonderful sighting and photos. Happy Monday and have a great week!
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun find! And, I would guess this lady has met people before to be so comfy around you. Great images. She is very pretty.
ReplyDeleteIF I had water on my place I'd love to have some muscovy..they are so cool--THIS was a fun post Grace--I know the bread was appreciated too!!
ReplyDeletehaha, ooohhh do i hear you. i always start clicking, immediately, as if it will be my one and only chance!!
ReplyDeletewhat a fun story, glad he hung with you for a while ;))
You do enjoy your walks. Thanks for sharing the adventure.
ReplyDeleteHave you ever seen a Muscovy duck in your area before? Looks like a mixture of duck, little turkey, and raven :)) Seems to have such a nice relaxed demeanor. That makes her pretty!
What a personable duck. I am glad you had the opportunity to meet him, and get the great shots!!
ReplyDeleteThis one certainly posed well for you. I love that wing display.
ReplyDeleteThanks Elaine ...fun though isn't it ; ]
ReplyDeleteThanks Kathryn....poor you : { !!
Thanks Roy I still can't figure what he was doing here : }
Yes a great visitor..lol Thanks Eileen
Lois thanks ..I also read that they tend to be quite friendly even if there wild!
Thanks Sondra ...glad you enjoyed ..if I see another I will ship it to you lol..; }
Debbie thanks...it was a comical encounter...glad you liked!
Season..no I have never seen one here before ...and yes they are friendly from what I read and comfortable around people!!
I do enjoy my walks ; ]
Thanks Muffy..is was a fun encounter : }}
Ruth thanks ..I think he was oblivious to my presents lol...Lovely wings yes..I was surprised when I say them!!
Hi Grace :)
ReplyDeleteYes you have me smiling again....fab post.
My Grandmother used to keep Muscovy ducks, so I saw many of them as a child.
They are rather odd looking, aren't they?
Just about to start gardening on this much cooler sunny day :)
Perhaps he just liked visiting you.{:))
ReplyDeleteThanks Cheryl..ya doing much better!!
ReplyDeleteHumor is my best coping mechanism : }
It is been one thunder storm after another since late last evening here, thundering again right now !
I think gardening is off for me today!
Hey Roy..."Of course" I am very likable ; }...drop by sometime and I will give you some bread and water too!!
Thanks Cheryl..ya doing much better!!
ReplyDeleteHumor is my best coping mechanism : }
It is been one thunder storm after another since late last evening here, thundering again right now !
I think gardening is off for me today
Hey Roy..."Of course" I am very likable ; }...drop by sometime and I will give you some bread and water too ; }
change your setting, so i can reply via email to your comments!!
ReplyDeleteyou think you are so smart, i know how to google too!!! ;))))
Gotta love those kind of adventures! Sure haven't been getting many surprises my end.
ReplyDeleteWe had one of those in the pond a few years ago. Linda called him Elvis. He had a different "hairdo". It stayed several days. Later I saw a few at that white house along 196 that used to have the miniature horses. I'll have to tell Linda :D
ReplyDeleteWell you can't really be surprised he took a good look can you Grace, sort of "Can't believe my eyes" too. But he looks a bit short sighted and maybe that's why he has the specs on.
ReplyDelete