One night last week I turned on the light and there on the feeders is the Flying Squirrel munching away on the seeds!!
I turned off the light hoping he would stay until I could get the camera...turned the light back on, and hoping I would get a shot of him, so I am clicking away ..stepped back and took a look to see how they where coming out and all I see is "no images" ..crap..,I forgot to put the card back in!!
Luckly he was greedy enough to still be there, and I gave it another try ..lol!
The shots are nothing to write home about, but you can see what the little guy looks like!!
They are called Flying Squirrels, but they don't actually fly...
they glide!
If you can see that extra fur hanging over the edge, besides it's tail, that is
a bit of the loose area that spreads out when it glides from place to
place!!
He has his eye on me!!
Last winter there was one hanging onto the side of the frame around
the patio slider,and the only reason I knew it was there was because
the cat was stocking it ..poor kitty never get's to catch anything
on the other side of that glass lol!!
Back to eating ..he doesn't seem to be bothered !!
My daughter has a friend who couldn't figure out why there feeder
was half empty in the morning!! They where filling
it at night because in the morning they didn't have
time ...yup ..that's the culprit .."busted" !!!
I think he either got full or had enough of that flashing
and decided to leave!!
He got on the top of the pole and was gone!!
I did not take this photo, but I did want you to see what it looks like when it glides !!
Amazing creature...!!!

You did get some great pictures of him. I have never seen one of these.
ReplyDeleteI have never seen one either...Kinda reminds me of a bat.....He sure was getting his little tummy full at your feeder...Thanks for sharing these pictures with us....
ReplyDeleteFantastic series of pics!
ReplyDeleteAesome photos of him on the feeder ! We just have regular squirrels and they are always around my bird feeders stuffing their faces ! Have a great day !
ReplyDeleteamazing creatures! don't see them here, so this was a treat!
ReplyDeleteI let the dog out one night, and surprised a flying squirrel. It was on the ground, and because I had the big yard light on, it was blinded. It hopped on the ground, until it could get to a tree, then climbed up, and began gliding. I was so thankful our dog was old, and didn't realize the squirrel was on the ground. For all the confusion at your house, you did get some great shots of the flying squirrel.
ReplyDeleteI have the habit of checking if things are locked down at night, also checking out back to see what's out there. Even done the no card thing :) You got some great pictures here. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing this little guy. Never seen a flying squirrel before except in photos and nature shows. Amazing and beautiful and cute!
ReplyDeleteFirst flying squirrel I've seen posted on a blog. Nice that you have them...and not me. (;^))
ReplyDeleteI have NEVER seen a flying squirrel, yet I've almost always lived in their environment. Maybe because I'm an early bird.
ReplyDeleteGreat photos Grace! What an amazing looking creature, all I get attacking my feeders are the Grey Squirrels, six of them at the last count!
ReplyDeleteJ
Follow me at HEDGELAND TALES
Considering their nocturnal nature, you got some great photos. We had one visit our feeders when we lived in the Upper Peninsula. Such a cutie!
ReplyDeleteVery, very great photos, especially the last, wow.
ReplyDeleteGreat images. I love to see animals that I never knew existed.
ReplyDeleteFirstly Grace, you always make me smile with your writings....tku for that.
ReplyDeleteWhat an amazing creature....a flying squirrel.
I have read about them on another blog but have never seen close up images or one in action.
Tku Grace, I have learnt something today.
Super captures Grace.( I bet the one's without the card were even better...ha ha!) It looks like your Flying Squirrels have the same potential to damage the feeders as our Grey Squirrels do over here!...[;o)
ReplyDeleteHey Grace I'd be worried if these guys just came to say hello when I wasn't about. Have you done something to upset the little furry creatures or did they talk to the neighbours? Seriously though (I can be serious)you got some nice shots and I'm jealous that we don't have flying squirrels here. Get yourself to bed now and don't go worrying about noises out on the porch Little Red Riding Hood.
ReplyDeleteFantastic!!! I'm incredibly jealous! I've always wanted to see one of these adorable little squirrels! Such wonderful photos! Maybe I better start checking my feeders at night...just in case!
ReplyDeleteThat would have been a great shot. (the last one GG)
ReplyDeleteFascinating little critter!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteWOW that is An amazing FIND...so great that he let you get his PHOTO...and that we got to see him too.
ReplyDeletehow lucky that you happened to look out there just as that CUTE little glider happened to be there!! and he even waited for you to put the card back in your camera!! yeah!! GREAT shots!! we have them here too...but i've never been lucky enough to get pictures of one! we can hear them chirping after the birds go to bed...and a couple of years ago when a rotted tree fell...we saw a couple scamper away...really fast!
ReplyDeletei'm glad you were able to get those shots!!
I really appreciate all of your wonderful comments on this post..it is so much fun to be able to share post like this with you all...so since my eyes are really bothering me tonight I hope you don't mind "one BIG HEART FELT THANK YOU" to you all"
ReplyDeleteGrace
It's hard to take night shots like that, and you did well. He looks a bit spooky with the light reflecting off his eyes.
ReplyDeleteThe jigsaw puzzle effect I used is one of the frames in PSE 10. There are actually quite a few cool effects you can do with the frames.
What a cool critter, I have never seen a flying squirrel. Great flight capture, they are cute! Wonderful photos. Have a great week!
ReplyDeleteYes, amazing creature. Nice little story Grace ! Wish you all the best.
ReplyDeleteHers's me a bit late as usual Grace but am I so pleased.
ReplyDeleteThis is a wonderful little creature you get to see.. wonderful images ans big hug from me for sharing it.
Awesome, awesome, awesome! Love those flying squirrels. Tonight we listened and watched woodcocks displaying. Fabulous nature!
ReplyDeleteGrace, I have heard of these and seen photos, but like the others who commented, have never seen one. You have the best critters showing up at your feeders.
ReplyDeleteHey Grammie !
ReplyDeleteI just want to let you know incase you use this form of following that Google Friend Connect is disappering as of today so it has been said no following anyone with it and no one can follow you either . Hundreds of bloggers are and have including myself hooked up to a Linky follower that lets us keep track of our followers and vise versa !http://www.linkytoolsblog.com/ I am hosting a Linky Blog Hop and would love for you to join so that we all can keep up with following and being followed to so many wonderful blogs ! Have a great day !
Grace, we had one of these come down our chimney when we lived in Livermore Falls. It scared the life out of my husband. At that time I did not even know we had flying squirrels in Maine. They just seemed so exotic! After that I watched for them at my backyard feeders and I was surprised how they would wait for the perfect edge of darkness to come down the trees and feed. I did get to see one fly and it was so amazing! I miss having these guys around. these pics are awesome and it was so fun to see them. Thank you for posting these!
ReplyDelete