Tuesday, October 4, 2011

~~~"Berry Pic's"~~

Our weather here has been miserable with rain and fog for 4 days now, and it seems the temperature is stuck on 60 degrees!
I have to keep reminding myself it could be cold and snowing,and I am glad at least of that, but it sure has put a damper on getting fall outside chores done ....(actually they are things I should have done a month ago) lol!!  It's looking like there may be a lot of spring projects at this rate !!

Well back in the here and now,  I  have noticed that there is an abundance of wild berries this season so I  went out last week to get a few photo's of some!!



This is Winterberry....Most attractive wild shrub in winter when the snow is on the
ground.. that is if the overwintering birds haven't already gobbled them up!!



A bush  recognized by most, is the Elderberry!!



Elderberries have many uses, in things like jam, pies, teas
and wine, but I think they are best left for my bird friends!
This bush is growing by the river in the open, so the birds
have already been feeding on it!!


This lovely bush I have tried to identify , but as yet don't know!!
This year they have been just covered in these lovely blue berries!
I do think it is  a Viburnum, but which ...???

 

This is the same kind of tree as in the photo above this one, taken a week earlier!!.
It is growing by the river in the open, and it's berries are ripening
faster, and you can see the the birds have been
eating them ...one of there favorites !! 


 
This is Autumn Olive!!
A very invasive non- native shrub used  for soil erosion on
the enbankments when the Maine Turnpike was put in years ago!
It is just everywhere...abandomen hay fields are completely
taken over by this shrub!!
I have to admit I love it...from its gray green leaves, overpowering scented
 flowers in the spring to these lovely berries that the birds
just love!!


This shrub I have seen all my life and I don't know what it is!!
The berries stay in these varying stages of color until after a heavy
freeze, at which time they are black, but the birds don't eat
them until the middle of winter!!
I lean toward it being a Dogwood,but???



I sure hope your weather is sunny , because this rain is down right depressing.."ya" I know it could be snow!!



21 comments:

  1. Grace, the berries look almost good enough to eat - for the birds that is. But you're missing our favorite here, the blueberry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try "iSpot" on the internet, it is great. But, I'm not sure if it is for English.

    ReplyDelete
  3. there is still so much to see and photograph. very beautiful photo's! our forcast has been rain every single day but the weathermen have been wrong and we've had so really beautiful days!! today is predicted to be perfect, who knows!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all the berries! I've seen those winterberry bushes and wondered if the birds like them. I need to plant a new bush or tree where my dead dogwood used to me and would like something the birds would like, too. I like that one with the blue berries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grammie, I so remember the gloomy grays from when I lived in Livermore Falls! Having a warm fire going always helps me make it through, but those consistently gray days can really get to you! I feel your pain! Love all the bright berries though! A bit sunnier down here in MA. Keep smiling. The sun WILL shine again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. so many different berries!! a paradise for the birds...squirrels!!

    bright colors for a gray kind of day...nice pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't help with the I.D.
    Superb selection of bird food.
    You must have had a good spring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like the birds will be well taken care of with this berry crop.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here we are into a different season, and you have such a treat for us already. These berry bushes with their verdant growth and colors are a treat for us and the visiting birds. Grace, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aren't those winterberries beautiful? I've noticed our holly bushes are especially heavy with berries this year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You said it, it could be snow... Just come over here, because the snow has now already covered the top of the 800m mountains around the fjord and it's getting down... I guess we will soon get snow in Reykjavik.... This is gonna be a long winter!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your photos are lovely, but I especially loved that I learned some new things from you. We don't have these same bushes and such in our part of the country, so I don't know the names of the things you showed pictures of. I just got back from New England and while we were picking apples in Massachusetts, I saw a bush growing among the apple trees. Now, I think I know what it is. I think it was an elderberry. I will have to post photos and see if I am right.

    ReplyDelete
  13. HI Kerri..cute..lol !!
    Thanks a bunch!

    Hi B.. Blueberry season is over : }
    Everything else is for the birds ; }
    Thanks!!


    Hi Bob ....thanks, and for the site ..I will give it a try!!


    Hi Debbie ..oh so much to see if we take the time to look!!
    Thanks!!


    Hi Mary...thanks..I hope you find a tree that the birds will like !!


    Hi Katie...Thanks, and for the encouragement!!


    Hi Laura...thanks you so much!!


    Hi Adrian..yes we did and the birds will reap the benefit from it !! Thanks!!

    Hi Ruth...God provides for the feathered ones to!! thanks!


    Hi Seasons...thank you ..you are so welcome!!


    Hi Jean...I love the Winterberries they sure brighten things up!!
    Thanks!!


    Hi Chris...You need to move..haha!!
    Ya it is coming here all to soon to !!
    Thanks Sweetie!!

    HI R.E.T.
    I will be watching for those photo's of the Apple Orchard to see if it was an elderberry!!
    Thanks so much for your comment!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We always see the leaves and think how spectacular but most of the time we skip right by the berries that are busting out in fall color. Awesome shots!!! So vibrant.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Grace and I finally caught up with you. Sounds like your weather isn't much better than ours and we seem to be getting the tail end of another of your hurricanes. Good to see all your berries just waiting for all those autumn birds so no excuses for getting lots of waxwing pictures. No excuses for making just a spot or two of elderberry wine for when I drop by again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely images Grace...
    Elderberry jam and wine was my parents favourite in the 1960's... I really should take up foraging for free food, with the internet all the recipes will be there with a click.
    Hope all's well with you..take care.

    ReplyDelete
  17. HI Tammy...Thanks so much..yes it is true!!


    Hey Phil...you are a hoot...it is a good thing I like your silliness!!
    Thanks my friend!! : }}


    Hi Andrew...thanks so much!!
    We may all have to take to foraging if things keep going on the path they have been ... ; }

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Grace, your berries look great. This is a good time of year for those types of shots. The rich deep colors attract the birds who then in turn, leave rich dark droppings on my white truck. Grrr... That's OK, it gives me something to do. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that you look at things that others might miss. There is so much beauty and you find it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. HI Larry...LOL...sorry about your
    truck..tee-hee...but they have to go when they have to go...it is obvious that they like a nice clean white bathroom!! ; }
    Thanks!!


    Hi Jeannie...you are my sweet friend...thanks I guess I do!! : }

    ReplyDelete