It has been just about a year now that I sent an email,along with the photo of a large 4 leaf clover that I had taken, to wish a very good blogger friend the very best of luck as he had his third stent placement done on his heart...that date for his surgery was Wednesday October 14Th 2010...
Why do I remember that so well...I also ended up in the hospital that very same day!!. ..yup I did ! Hmm ..perhaps I should have kept that clover!!
I fell total over backwards and hit the back of my head on the stone hearth in my home. I only recall getting ready for a walk and then I was in a ambulance!
Staples in my head, test after test 3 day hospital stay,and monitoring from home revealed no reason for it either ...those things I do remember, and them telling me I am lucky to be alive.. that was a" biggie" lol!
I mention this for a reason....I have lost my sense of smell and also have lost a good portion of the ability to taste!! ""How fragile life is""..how much do we take for granted !
It wasn't until 2 months ago that I really had to stop pushing aside that I was not smelling fresh cut grass, the garden flowers ...etc~~~when food might as well have been cardboard for all I knew.... I went to see my doctor ; then another E.N.T doctor C scan where clean ...MRI next ..clean, which was good news , but still no answers!! My Ear Nose and Throat doctor went back to his first diagnose ..a blow to the head can cause many issues...pinched nerve endings in my case he believes is the cause and it is permanent!
I loved the smell of coffee brewing, the fresh smell of a summer breeze , the fresh balsam wreath at Christmas,and I could go on ,but think of all you would miss!
Strangely the foods I liked the best are the ones I can't taste....so I have conquered my Edy's Butterfinger Ice Cream addition!! ; }
Then there is the issue of safety with odor's like smoke, gas leaks, is the food spoiled and etc..!!
I am very thankful that I have the ability to see a sunset, birds and hear there calls, my garden flowers evening if I can't smell them!! On and on I could go ....you get the picture!!
I am not complaining , but have I mourned the loss ..oh yes indeed ..that natural instinct to bring the carton of milk to my nose to check if it is spoiled ..every day more and more the realization sets in,and I am very thankful that I did enjoy that keen sense of smell I used to have...the one that some of my friends used to say ..."you smell everything" I don't know how you can, because I can't!!
All this to say enjoy the ability to smell, hear, taste, and see....fragile,yet taken for granted !!
This more than anything has made me enjoy so much what I can see! I can take photo's and look at them ...I can hear the sounds around me , and may I not complain about the noise!!
My good friends heart is still ticking ...he has had a lot of stress this past year..but he is a "tough old bugger" ; }

gorgeous, gorgeous pictures!! i take nothing for granted, life is a gift, promised to no one!!
ReplyDeleteexperiences like these change ours lives, but only for the better!!
thank you for sharing this. we humans do take SO much for granted. thank you for the reminder that our senses, our minds, our bodies, are not to be wasted or taken as 'givens'. :) God bless you AND your friend...
ReplyDeleteYou still have a great eye for photographing sunsets. We surely do take our senses for granted. In the whole spectrum of things loosing the sense of smell isn't the worst. You can still see, hear, and feel. And most of all you can still love.
ReplyDeleteOn Midday Connection's Facebook page they recently asked, if you had to give up one sense, which one would it be. A very hard decision because really, all are precious and add so much to life. Sorry to hear that you have had to lose one of them and I surely can understand your grieving its demise.
ReplyDeleteOh dear Grace- I'm so glad all you lost was the sense of smell!!
ReplyDeleteI know it must be a trial for you at times..but thank God you are otherwise ok!
A dear friend of mine has been through the mill with doctors trying to find out why she's been losing balance and falling.
They looked for Parkinsons and other neurological conditions.
It turned out to be a type of migraine at the back of her skull that caused it!
I will pray for you to recover the joy of smelling all those wonderful flowers you photograph so beautifully!
You are right, my friend.
We must never take things for granted, but cherish them!
God bless you..Trish
Traumhafte Bilder! Poesie, Farbenspiel und Glücksmomente spiegeln sich in desen Fotos...
ReplyDeleteLiebe Grüsse aus der Schweiz
Hans-Peter
Dear Grace,
ReplyDeleteI remember your fall....i believe you posted about it ?
They say our other senses become more acute if we lose one. Have you found that to be so?
I expect that the fragrance from flowers or perhaps your favourite soap stay in your heart.
My father has lost his sense of smell and taste.
It is sad to lose these things but you are here Grace and you are a gift. For me, you bring a smile and your lovely images stimulate my mind. I am always grateful I stumbled on your blog and found a friend :0)
As always things could be a whole lot worse.
ReplyDeleteThere was an interview on the radio recently with a chef who had lost her sense of smell. Also Taste.....they are linked apparently.
She was gathering Rosemary at her mothers and whilst chopping it suddenly realised she could smell again.
Don't give up hope......the world is a mysterious place.
Good luck.
Yes, losing a sense is not very nice, I know. Beautiful skyscrapes.
ReplyDeleteGrace, it must be difficult to come to terms with loosing something that we take so much for granted.
ReplyDeleteI can see from the photographs and words in your posts that you have managed to 're-align' your senses and are able to 'taste and smell', and appreciate, all the beauty that surrounds you.
Keep your spirits up and good luck...[;o)
Life is a gift for sure. And let us enjoy every day like I enjoyed your wonderful photos here!
ReplyDeleteGorgeous !
Yeh I remember when this happened to you. As you said everything is taking for granted but we can loose everything so quickly, we don't realize until it happens. I'm also happy you can still see, take pictures, hear and walk....
ReplyDeleteNice collection of pictures.
We do take so much for granted and we have to stop to remember what we have. I can only imagine the struggles that can be and the loss as well. Thankful you have your site and your keen eye for taking photos so you can share with us the beauty you see.
ReplyDeleteJaw-Drop photos of GOD's awesome beauty.
Thank you for the post, its does open ones eyes to many blessings.
GOD keep you safe and your friend.
HI Debbie...thank you very much : }
ReplyDeleteHi Teresa...thank you for you kind word !!!
Hi Muffy ...Yes you are right...thanks for the sweet comment!! : }
Hi Trish...you are such a lovely person and I appreciate your kind word and prayers!!
Thanks!! : }
That year has gone so quickly Grace!
ReplyDeleteAt least we're both still around lol
Lovely sky shots :-)
HI Cicerio...Thanks you so much! : }
ReplyDeleteHi Hans-Peter...Very kind of you Thanks!! : }
Hi Cheryl...You are a dear lady and friend,...I thank you from the bottom of my heart!!: }
Hi Adrian...The one thing that got me was after the Lilac's bloomed in the spring, and I remember commenting to someone how they did not have any smell this year..that was one thing I really should have picked up on!!
I am hearing more of people who can't smell and taste ..they are connect and I will probably lose taste complete at some point!!
Thanks my friend!!! : }
Hi Bob..yes for you I have the most admiration..you seem to have a positive outlook!!
Thanks my friend!! : }
Hi Trevor...Thank you for your kind word of encouragement!
It makes me happy to know that my photo's reflect that appreciation!! : }
Hi Lasse...thanks you so
much!! : }
Hi Chris...Remember to take care out there in the cold and all the crazy things you do to get those lovely phots's...lol ; }
Thanks you so much Sweetie!! : }
Hi Tammy...It is a big different world for me ..one who always loved the smell of the ocean air, the garden, bread baking ...I don't miss the smell of the Skunk when he is about at night though...lol ; }
Thanks you so much!!
Blessings!!
That must be hard to not smell or taste the thing you love. Thank-you for the reminder to appreciate these thing which I so often take for granted.
ReplyDeletePeaceful sunset pictures! Yes, we mourn for the things we have lost, but we also gain a greater sense of gratification in other joys of our lives. Getting lost in the beauty of God's creation is a reminder to us. Thanks for sharing your experience and your photos!
ReplyDeleteKathryn
A wonderful post to read Grace and one that has also made me realise how lucky I am and that enjoying (as much as I can) every single day is so important. You never know what the next one will bring.
ReplyDeleteI were glasses... blind as a bat without them.. I have just tried to imagine not being able to taste and smell...wow! how much of what we take for granted is so important..
Take care and like Adrian says you never know what is possible in the future.
Sorry for the ramble I just kept typing as it came into my head.
Stunning images! October 31, 2005 my dog spotted a deer in the backyard and tripped me with his lead. I fell off the porch backwards and landed upside down with the corner of the bottom step jammed into my low back. Months of physical therapy, several diagnostic procedures, surgery and more Pt left me permanently disabled.
ReplyDeletePeople ask if I shot that stupid mutt and I always respond "He was just being a dog; defending his territory and for all I know defending me as well." I'm also lucky to be alive and refuse to let my "disabilities" rule my life. There are things I can no longer do and others I have to do differently but I have also learned to pay more attention to the world around me and to LIVE every moment.
Hi Keith...there we go again doing things at the same time ..I was posting replys and you was leaving a comment so your reply is way down here!
ReplyDeleteYes Keith very grateful to be around,and having a good friend too!!
Thanks!! : }}}
Hi Ruth ...thank you very much!! : }
Hi Kathyrn ...thank you for your kind and encouraging words, and you are very welcome ..I love to share the beauty I see!!
Hi Andrew..never feel bad about rambling, it just makes me know my friends better...
Thank you so much!! : }}
Hi Chip...Thank you for sharing that with me ...we just don't know a split second can change out lives!!
Thanks for your comment the post!! : }}
Wow Grace. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I cannot imagine life without a sense of smell. It is so integral to pleasure in my life. Thank you for reminding me to never take these simple pleasures for granted. I hope for you that these senses return....
ReplyDeleteOH I wouldnt be able to seaon my cooking if i couldnt smell I dont do the taste test I do the sniff test..if it smells Just right it will taste just right..GORGEOUS sunset photos...
ReplyDeleteHope your sense of smell will come back as mysteriously as it went.
Grace, thi was a beautiful post to remind us to remember to be thankful for life. Glad to read that both you and yoour friend are doing well. Thanks for the beautiful photos as well.
ReplyDeleteWe are currently on our fall road trip through NH this year. And we would be so happy to meet you as we missed last fall! We still have another 2 weeks left before heading back to VA and are keeping Nashua, NH as a home base. Do you think there's a possibility of a face-to-face meeting? email or post on our blog, we would be willing to drive to your state again.
I am so sorry to learn that you have lost the sense of smell. What an ordeal you have been through, and yes, you should have kept the four leaf clover for yourself. The photos are just stunning...so peaceful.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful sunset images GG.
ReplyDeleteI am glad you are still around and alive and kicking.{:)
Well, not too much kicking anyway.{:)
HI J&S...Thanks you two !!
ReplyDeleteHi Sondra...The worst part is I have acid reflux and not knowing how spicy thing are Ouch!!
Thanks!!
Hi B...I will get a hold of you one way or the other...would love to meet you two!!
Thanks
Hi Cheryl...Thank you so very much!!
Hey Roy..Thank you!! : }
I am glad to be still around to. ; } Still chasing pavemnt!!
Hey Grace, and we also would really like to meet you after meeting Elaine (Artic View) this week. It was great fun! Please contact us through my email address and I will give you our cell numbers. We're taking a 2-day trip to North Conway this coming week Tues 7 Wed so will be out of this area. But we are in NH until the end of the month so lots more time to arrange a rendezvous - hope we can work something out :-)
ReplyDeleteFirst, what a shame you have lost your sense of smell. You're someone who savors so completely the beautiful gifts of nature, so I can imagine how this loss would be especially difficult for you. But your sense of sight is keener than most! What stunning sunset photos.
ReplyDeleteGrace, your photos are beautiful. So sorry your sense of smell has left and not come back. I hope some day that will change for you. But... It is always good to be grateful for what we have. Your photos are one of those things. Thanks Grace.
ReplyDeleteGrace wow, what a story! I am so happy you are Ok and that your friend is OK. Your photos are just beautiful. I must tell you there are times I wish I could loose my sense of smell. I seem to be allergic to smells like grass cuttings, stinky cars and trucks and a co worker that wears way too much perfume. During these times I wish I my nose did not work LOL. I do think we all have a lot to be thankful for. Take care and thanks for stopping by. I hope you have a wonderful week ahead.
ReplyDeleteGrace, so sorry to hear of this. I depend on all my senses and would not want to give up even one! Smell is such a strong sense and so connected to our memories. Your photos are lovely but I do wish you could get your sense of smell back. You have the right attitude, though, you are thankful to be alive and thankful for what you DO have!
ReplyDeleteA wonderful share to remind us not to take each moment we are given for granted. I try not to ... each day is a gift!
ReplyDeleteWell I don't know about gone to heaven, but when I read your post Grace it made me think about all the simple things we take for granted. Luckily and predictably you haven't given up but gone from strength to strength in appreciating the natural world and all it has to offer - I might even make a birder of you yet! LOL as they say. Love the sunset by the way. Keep battling Grace.
ReplyDeleteThese are sunset pictures to be saved. You went a step beyond, and shared them. Thanks Grace.
ReplyDeleteAnd do take care. Only the one suffering, knows how bad it hurts. You are strong, and important to us.
...oh my goodness....things are so strange. I will pay attention to the smells I love a little more. I would mourn the loss too. I have Meniere's Disease, so I know someday I'll lose my hearing. Because of that I pay so much more attention to the songs and sounds of my favorite birds now.
ReplyDelete