Since they don't migrate I get to hear that wonderful little chick-a-dee-dee song on a regular bases!
They are a cheerful, sociable, energetic, and acrobatic little cutie's. : }}
They can hardly wait for me to fill the feeders, to the point of trying to land on it while I'm filling it!!
Yesterday was a real nasty snow storm day and they where out in force to refuel there energetic little bodies!!
Here he is looking for early breakfast!!
What will I have .hmm..good variety!!
Hey there's my friend!!
"Glad you could join me "
"Lousy weather".. huh!!
I have extended hang over eaves on my house ,and this guy
is seeking cover from the storm!!
Hey Lady do you mind if I hang out here for a bit!!
Then I'll just move in a little closer...is this okay!!
Wow!!...this is great I can just drop down grab a
seed and hop right back up here !!
White Breasted Nuthatch joins in!!
""Hey this is a post about me"""... what are you doing...trying to upstage me??
Just encase you are concerned about the little guy being able to withstand
the winters cold and snow.....
The Chickadee survives the Maine winters by it's ability to lower it's
body temperature at night while it is sleeping, by entering into a controlled
state of hypothermia. This helps them store much needed energy!!
An amusing post today, Grammie G! Have you read Winter World by Berndt Heinrich?
ReplyDeleteHi Grammie. Obviously a tenacious species with a lot of character much like our Blue Tits.
ReplyDeleteHi..no I hadn't heard of it but just did a search..it sounds like a very interesting read!!
ReplyDeleteI also saw a book there "A Year In The Maine Woods"by the same author, which looks real interesting too!!
I thought Renee(my daugther, at Adventures with Renee, was reading that one, but she is reading a book by Helen Hamblin, called "Nine Mile Bridge" who spent a year in the Maine woods!!
Thanks for coming by and the info!!
Hi Frank...yes...from what I have read on your's and other blogs from there I believe you are right!!
ReplyDeleteThanks!!
I bet they are still glad to visit your feeder all the same GG
ReplyDeleteHey Roy..Just as long as I keep the feeders full, they provide the entertainment!! :}}
ReplyDeleteI love the little chickadees, too. They're quite tame, as you pointed out. Great photos.
ReplyDeleteHi Jean...cutie's aren't they!!
ReplyDeleteThank you!!
Beautiful photos ! Yes we have these little guys to and the same feeders lol they love their food like you said they can hardly wait to get them filled , I did have one land on the feeder as I put it up it was wonderful I love all the birds and get so much joy watching them hearing them cherp and sing and carry on their chatter and photographing them as well. Have a wonderful day !
ReplyDeleteHey CG...Thank you so very much...
ReplyDeleteGood old "Wally World" (Wal-Mart) birdfeeder..lol!! "Huh"
I hope to have one land on my hand,but then there is no one to take the picture : }}
Happy bird watching!!
Grace, I love this post and especially eavesdropping in on the conversation of two of Maine's most admired residents. Hope all is going well, I've been sick and home for the past week.. hopefully I'll see you on Sunday.. God willing!
ReplyDeleteHey Tracey...Thanks you...love the eavedropping comment..quick aren't you!!
ReplyDeleteHope you feeling better by then..nice to hear from you!!
Grammie G, glad you were indoors keeping warm and dry during the latest bout of winter to hit your area. Nice of those feathered friends to drop by for a snack and chat :-)
ReplyDeleteGreat post Grammie....love the humour and the interesting info at the end of the post.
ReplyDeleteIt is amazing how our wildlife has learned to adapt to extreme weather conditions.
Keep up the good work, the birds, very much, need you.......
Hope you are well and have a great weekend
Haha! Love the chickadees comment at the end...so sweet. I love chickadees too. Thank goodness we get to hear their calls all winter (they bring so much cheer and make me feel happy every time I hear them!).
ReplyDeleteHI Beatrice..Thanks...ya I stay in and wait till it is all over..no desire to be out in it!!
ReplyDeleteI have my feather friends to entertain me!!
Hi Cheryl...thanks ...it is fun to see there body language and put or take on it!!
I keep the feeders close so I can get to them when it storms!!
Hi Kelly ..I saw your Chickadee painting after I had done this post ,and I thought very good likeness!!
Thanks for coming by!!
Beautiful little birds Grammie. Chickadees are what we would call Tits in the UK. I see from the icicles you are still getting pretty cold weather.
ReplyDeleteBest wishes Andrew
Hi Andrew...thanks you so much...yes we are cold 2 above zero this morning more snow to come tonight...we are just about buried lol !!
ReplyDeleteFascinating post! I learn so much out here in blog land. Great images, too!
ReplyDeleteExcellent post, I loved that one a lot! Very impressive and with nice illustration. Well done.
ReplyDeleteHi Lois...thanks you very much!!
ReplyDeleteHi Chris...you are such a "sweetie" thank you so much!!
Finally got here. A lovely post; words and pictures are perfect. That looks too cold for me, and it's amazing how the small birds survive such fierce conditions. I bet they are thankful for the food you leave them.
ReplyDeleteHi Keith...thank you so much my friend...you'd get used to the cold if you lived here lol.
ReplyDeleteBird food is part of the budget!!
I absolutely love Chickadees. They are so cute and cheerful. I'm glad I can study your photos and see the differences between the Blackcap and my Carolina better. I would swear that I have both at times. That last shot comparing its size to the nuthatch is very helpful.
ReplyDeleteHi Mary..aren't they cute though!
ReplyDeleteI find it hard to see the differences if I am not looking at pictures of them all together!!
The Boreal,is another and then all those in the UK that look like our Chickadee really need side by side photo's!!
Thank you very much!!