Monday, February 7, 2011

"That's The Way It Is From Here"

Its that time of year when anything is possible with the weather. Snow storms are a possibility right to the end of April ,but the sun is so warm, and that I like!!
Saturday started out at 2 degrees, crisp blue sky, warm sun,and by noon it was up to 40 degrees!!
I sat on the back deck taking in the rays, listening to the water drip of the eaves,while the birds sang there happy little songs all around me.  While setting there the Goldfinches came right into the feeders so I got a few photos of them!!

American Goldfinch (male) in
winter plumage!!

"Is this my best side"

They are year long residence, and in late spring they will turn a bright
yellow,have a black cap on there head ,a white under rump ,and
black wings and tail feathers with some white designs!!

"Well" ..."make up your mind, how do you want me to pose"!!


Never mind I,m going back to eating!!

Forecast for Saturday night, snow and maybe a rain mix.... clouds starting to move in so I'm of for my walk!!
I saw a flock of Snow Buntings flying in there sweeping pattern, like a white cloud, that is hard enough to follow with your eyes let alone a camera...beautiful!!

How about this ...snow banks so high, right up under the road sign.


"No" this is not an outhouse or "privy"...
Its is a smoke house where ham and bacon
was cured on the farm!!


I love the look of White Birch trees in the winter !!



It did snow and rain as forecasted Saturday night, but the big surprise was a bright flash of lightening... we had a thunder storm ...crazy huh!!
Sunday morning ...slushy snow and ice...church was a "no go"!!
Snow on roof was a "must go"....so out with the snow rake and the 12ft. extension ladder!!

Ice and snow is of the edges and now the rest must go!!


"I got the job done, and I was done in"
Hey...
"If the men don't find me gorgeous, they'll find me handy"

A good hot shower...a big bowl of popcorn, the couch , and football!!
Team I was cheering for, "Greenbay Packers"
wins the "Superbowl"!!
Yes!!



18 comments:

  1. Grammie, you are a star, you really are. Gosh that rhymes!
    My husband would have great respect for you. He loves woman like you.....

    That snow is deep.....it would be too much for me but I think we all get used to where we live and have an acceptance of it.

    I love the little hut.....so gorgeous......I want it in my garden, please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow although we have snow, I still think you have more than us... We might have 40cm right now I think. But the temps are colder, around -10°C this morning...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have tons of snow more then we have had in years. Loved your post and photos ! Have a warm and pleasant day !

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Cheryl...yes we do get used to where we live it's what we expect and we go with the flow : }
    I love that little hut to, but for you shipping is totally out of the question... hahaha!! "Sorry"
    Now if you could fly me there I might be able to build you one?? ; }}

    HI Chris..It snowed last night, and everything is covered with a heavy wet snow this morning!!
    You can have the cold weather Sweetie !! Stay warm...feel better!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey C.G True for us here too...thanks so much and keep warm and cozy!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grammie G, you are a true Maine Woman!! Glad you had a little reprieve from the doldrums of winter and could enjoy a few warm rays!! You be careful out there! ~karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi GG, your Goldfinch is very much like our female Chaffinch.
    Lovely scenes, but its about time that snow disappeared.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A brilliant post to read Grammie. Such extremes of weather and lovely birds (great images) to boot. Pleased you got the result you wanted at the Super Bowl. I am also a football fan (soccer to you in the US) and my team is Liverpool. New American owners (they also own the Boston Red Sox) but our luck is changing and we are doing ok at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Grammie,
    My goodness you do have a lot of snow up there!
    I love the birch trees against that pristene background - so beautiful!
    You cleared the snow off the roof?!
    Wow! What a strong spirited woman you are lol!
    It looks heavy and must've been very chilly up on that ladder :-(
    Well done!!
    Hope your days start to warm up a little so you can thaw out :-)
    blessings to you..Trish

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Karen...tonight it's back to the colder weather, has dropped 18 degrees since noon!!
    Thank you...I take that as a compliment...and I will be careful. : }}

    Hey Roy...thanks so much...snow will be around for awhile!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. HI Andrew...My favorite football team is the New England Patriots, but since they didn't make to the Superbowl I choose to go for the Packers..was a good game to!!
    Red Sox family favorite!! Hope that works out for Liverpool!!
    Thanks so much for you comment!!


    Hi Trish...Strong spirited or crazy I don't know which!! What can I say,I'm a Mainer!!; }}
    Glad you enjoyed the the birches to!!
    Thanks and blessing to you to!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how you appreciate the beauty of winter ... the enduring cheerfulness of its finches, the depths of its snow, the stateliness of its trees and sky.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the photo of the smokehouse. It would make a pretty noecard or be a lovely framed print. I haven't seen many goldfinches here this winter. I guess they're all at your house!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Grammie G, you sure are handy with that snow rake - a real handy woman! After that workout, you deserved a nice relazing shower and a bowl of popcorn. I've heard of snow thunder, but we only had regular thunder a week ago - no snow. The goldfinch chots were great - such colorful subjects too. Wish my thistle feeder was a bit closer for better views.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for coming by, and glad you enjoy my way of looking at Winter... : }}

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Jean..I really like the smokehouse to,if I do say so myself!! : }}
    Sorry about the Goldfinches, yes I have had them trapped in this neck of the woods....not really ..I just started seeing more of them in the past couple weeks ..hahaha!! Thanks !!



    Hi Beatrice..thanks you very much...love the goldfinches when they turn bright yellow in the spring!!
    I am a package deal.hahaha!! I don't have a Grenville here ,but...........maybe thats good lol!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Goldfinch was one of the first birds I started attracting after we built this house and I never tire of watching them. They are so full of concentration and just go right on eating while all the other birds are squabbling and flying off. I can see the beginnings of the black cap on yours...wow...seems early yet, but several people are reporting it. Love your birch tree shots! And that little smokehouse :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Mary...Yes the Goldfinches are happy fellows, and I also thought it seemed a little early for color to start showing!!
    Thanks a lot!!

    ReplyDelete