Tuesday morning I was watching the birds feeding of the feeders on my deck. I noticed one American Tree Sparrow not acting quite right. He was huddled up and puffed out except for a place on his wing that didn't have any feathers . He was eating some, so being nothing I could do I went about my day!!
In the afternoon I was at the computer ...back to the sliding glass doors to the deck ,when I heard a thump on the glass!!
Now and then the Doves will be in a group feeding , and when startled they all fly and one will hit the glass, so this is what I'm thinking has happened. I look out over my shoulder and couldn't see anything so got up to look, and there on the deck is this Hawk who has a Sparrow pinned down !! ( I feel it probably was the hurt one from earlier in the day).
I was so surprised I couldn't even think camera ...(yes I know Kelly ..you would have run me over getting one) I'm finally with camera, trying to keep the cats away from the glass...(big deal for them you know.. like watching CSI ) hoping it doesn't take of before I get a chance for a picture!!
I'm shaking and clicking and not even noticing that something isn't right here until I had taken 10 grainy out of focus pictures...I was hoping it was the splashed water from the eaves or window glare ....adjust... and 2 shots and he is gone!! I was surprised how long it stayed !!
So here we are ... the best of the worst ....I'm going with Sharp Shin Hawk, but .....????
Sorry!! not a pretty sight I know...but..

I'd go for Sharp Shin also. Sometimes it is hard to understand that everyone is someones dinner. My summer camp kids usually question this till i remind them of the misquitoes (and black flies in your neighborhood). I hear they are pretty good dipped in Fudge!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteHi Grenville...I like that way of looking at it!! I just may give those fudge dipped mosquito a try this spring hahaha!!
ReplyDeleteWell this is life, the real one and you got a superb sequence, even if it is a bit hard to witness ;-)
ReplyDeleteThese photos reminded me of a scene last summer when I watching birds from my kitchen window. There was a cardinal on the patio and the next instant, a neighbor's cat pounced from the bushes on the side of the house and carried off the cardinal. I was so upset and thankful not to have taken any photos. We have had a hawk around here and I keep hoping he will return and take away some of the unwelcome visitors, but no such luck.
ReplyDeleteOur resident hawk has been visiting here a lot this year. That seems to happen when the ground is frozen or snow covered. We can go years with no snow and temps above freezing everyday - but not this year! Our Sharpie comes crashing down in to the feeder area now on a daily basis. Yesterday he plunged into the big camellia next to the feeders where the birds hide while taking turns at the feeders. No one was there. So far as I have seen, he has left here hungry. At least there are no loose feathers around. However, I can not say the same for the birdbath out back. It is heated so the birds (deer, possums, coons) and my cat can drink all winter. The otherday, there was a set of tail feathers next to the bath. Oh well, nature...
ReplyDeleteHi Chris.. Thanks Sweetie...I know,hard when its happens where your feeding the birds though!
ReplyDeleteHi Beatrice..Here the Cardinals are not very big number, that would have really made me mad!!
Hi Possum...I know the Hawks are around, but they don't seem to bother around the feeders, first itme for everything I guess ...there is a Red Tailed Hawk that has picked of some Doves and Blue Jays,but near the house!!
Grammie, these are beautiful captures.
ReplyDeleteIt is sad, but it is life. I go with the hawk, I am smitten with hunting birds.
I have a sparrowhawk hunting in my gardens at the moment and I am fascinated.
It is life.....we all are guilty of having other creatures on our plate.....it is the way of things.
A lovely post and one shows nature in the raw.....
Have a lovely weekend.......
Ah...it is sad and you hate to see it, but you know they have to eat too and can only hope it is the sick and hurt that are mostly getting. I'm always glad that I don't see which bird they get usually. But I find myself sort of looking for my favorites in hope they are still there. YOu took some great shots of this event!
ReplyDeleteNot often one gets such a drama played out at such a close range.
ReplyDeleteBut ahhhhh.....
Mosquitos on the other hand ...
Hi Mary..I, m pretty sure it was the sick one and he wouldn't have made it anyway, so yah, that's the way it is...
ReplyDeleteThanks you so much!!
Hi Cicero..No, thats true,but as the saying goes "not in my back yard"!!
They to are a beautiful birds and have to eat!
I see you read what my first commentor said , he is comic!!
Hey Grammie! What an adventure at your bird feeders. We had a Cooper's hawk take a bird from our feeders the other day. I felt happy for the raptor and his lunch but also sad for the loss of life. It's hard! Thanks for all your compliments on our place. We feel so glad to make the space our own. One more room and then we are breaking indoors to work on starting seeds, preparing the garden, etc. We are supposed to hit 40 degrees next week! We can't wait. :) Enjoy your weekend! j&s
ReplyDeleteHi Grammie. As Cheryl said " nature in the raw" and although not a friendly sight, it happens every day somewhere. Nice sequence of the male Sharpie (similar to our Sparrowhawk) despite the trembling fingers .. lol.
ReplyDeleteHI Cheryl....I almost over looked your comment so sorry..(thanks Frank)!
ReplyDeleteIn the summer I see them pick mice and even snakes out of the field, and somehow that doesn't bother me ( I hate snakes)so in the winter with all this snow they have to eat!!
Thank you so much for your gracious comment!!!
Hi J&S...I guess we all who feed the birds have the very possibilty of it happening, my first time in probably 30 yrs..and I should say I may have not noticed it happening before!!
ReplyDeleteThank you and you are also very welcome...I have enjoyed your journey!
-10 degrees here last night,but we are supposed to warm up to 40 to!! : }}
Hi Frank thanks very much...yes..quite similiar
in appearance..I went back and forth a bit on the ID but settled on the Sharp Shin!!
I've gotten to like him from reading up the Hawks! : }}
Hi GG,
ReplyDeleteIf the sparrow was unwell then perhaps it was the best thing for it, as small birds (in particular) tend not to last if the have something wrong with them.
Raptures are a bit different to the majority of humans, but not much, as at least they kill their own prey before the eat it.
I have had the same experience in my garden. Happily watching the birds feeding then BANG a sparrowhawk swoops-grabs-kills then off. A shock at first but then you realised you have just witnessed nature in action.
ReplyDeleteHi Roy...no doubt you are right, after last nights -10 degree temp's the little guy most likely wouldn't have made it!!
ReplyDeleteIt was an experience for sure!!
Hi Andrew... This is the first time I have seen it happen not that it probably hasn't when I wasn't around.
His claws flattened the poor little thing right to the deck...yup..I think that was nature in action all right!!
Amazing shot! Reminds me of when I was running by your house and a hawk took a bird out of the air not 6 feet from my head...quite dramatic! I think you could put out a calendar and make money on it : )
ReplyDeleteHi Jean...Hey thanks...I guess things happen more than I see..good thing!
ReplyDeleteI almost checked out the snowmobile trail up your way today but never did get there!!
Hahaha....yes, you're right. I would have be running you over to get to the camera. I'd definitely say Sharp-shinned too...all his tail feathers are the same length...that's what I usually look for (and he looks on the smaller side too).
ReplyDeleteWhat a shock to see that...I'm sure your cats were going crazy. It's good the hawk got the sick bird, but it's so hard when I see it happen... Way to be there!!
Hi Kelly... I knew you would like that one. : }}
ReplyDeleteIt is a little hard to take since I was feeding the poor things and the Hawk probably had it staked out!!
Have a good weekend!!
Came over from Kelly's blog. Tragic, yes. Your CSI for cats reference is classic! But at least they kill what they need to survive - they don't make a hobby out of it. It's survival. Nice captures.
ReplyDeleteHi Margaret...yes a thump on the window and instant showtime...thank you so much for dropping by and your comment !!
ReplyDeleteHello Grammie :) I have seen you commenting on a lot of my favourite blogs for some time now so thought I would pop over and visit and am glad I did although I confess I didn't look too closely at the poor victim ;)
ReplyDeleteThere is a Sparrowhawk which visits my garden from time to time and I have noticed it particularly when there are (sadly) diseased birds around. I comfort myself by taking the view that it is putting the poor things out of their misery and now call it Doctor Sprawk ;)
Great captures!
Hi SS...thanks for stopping by and for your view on the sadness of it all, so now I will think if it that way and will Call it Dr.Sharp Shin Sprawk!! : }} I like that!!
ReplyDeleteGrammie, my grandkids call me Grammy too! Amazing shot. I go with Sharp-Shinned too! He's gorgeous.
ReplyDeleteHI Genny..Thanks for coming by and your kind comment!!
ReplyDeleteHi Grammie G and I'm pleased to see that all that snow has gone - at least from your porch. Very graphic pictures you got there, survival of the fittest indeed - that's why us old codgers are still around - LOL.
ReplyDeleteAh, yes, so very sad, but part of life. My daughter came around a bush near the sidewalk when walking the dogs outside our home and found a hawk enjoying a pigeon breakfast one day. She said it was extremely messy.
ReplyDeleteHi Phil Gee..It sure is nice to have you back, you old codger you!!!
ReplyDeleteHi Lois... it isn't always pretty I guess but whatcha gona do!!!
What a sight to witness grammie, and to capture the outcome like that.
ReplyDeleteLike Frank says, similar to our Sparrowhawk, and they soon get to know where the food is.
Hi Keith..Thanks so much my friend!!
ReplyDeleteI didn't even have to leave the house it came to me lol!!