Friday, January 28, 2011

"Snowshoeing" Part II: "Slush, Snow Machines, Scenery, and Sunset"

Everyone seems to have there own idea of what a winter sport is whether it be cross country or down hill skiing ,ice skating or for some on the other side of the coin is the snow machine ,( most people call  them snow mobiles) as there chose of sport!!   I have to say here if this is what you like that's fine ,but for me riding on a machine, listen to the reviving of loud engines that can travel across a field of snow at speeds that can exceed 60 mph with the air filled with lingering smell of exhaust fumes is not my idea of fun!!

So here is where I am at ; as I come out of the woods to the rivers edge to a well frozen snow packed snow machine trail....I know this because I walk the road by the river often,but there are places where the current flows in the middle that is "not a thick ice cover"!!   As I glanced across to the road side there was some people standing around..so I hollered and asked if there was a problem with the ice..."no just stay on that trail " was the answer so I took him at his word!
That very night as I was watching the local news on the TV they reported that a snowmobile had gone through the ice during the night and what I saw was the people who had been retrieving it from the river bottom!!  Thank goodness the guy was okay...."and me too "eeks"!!


I followed the trail  where it crossed over the river up toward the road
and this is what I saw looking down river in the
 opposite direction from where I had come from!!
Someone had obviously tested there fate and found
 that things aren't always as they look on the surface!!
Someone must have had a hairy ride when they found they 
where riding through ""slushy water""!!  




This is where they come up of the river bank to the road and cross!!



Across the road and into the big fields is there trails that go for miles!!
I stayed on it for a bit and tried to get a couple of picture of one of them
but they where going so fast and snow was flying so all I had was a blur!!



I made my own trail and got these photo's of the sun
headed toward the end of the day




 


I'm sure you have seen this building before if you follow my blog!!
I think it is a beautiful well maintained old farm !!
I took this picture from the field down in back of it!!
I love the way it looks with the white building ,the snow
covered roof, and the blue sky!!



Wind blown snow drifts make some interesting patterns!!


Snow swirl at this tree base is odd looking, and I liked the
bushiness's of the bottom of the tree!!
 From here I made my way back to the road
and walked the rest of the way home!!


 

I had been home a short while when I noticed this beautiful sunset!!

Dashed to the backdeck and got theses photos of it !!






 A nice sight to see to make the end of the day special
as the..."beginning"... of my day had been!!



15 comments:

  1. Another lovely set of photos GG. I really like the 4th one down "sun going down" great. Yes it was a good job you stayed on the trail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Roy..."thank you so very much"
    Yes.. I am trying to be careful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those snowmobile drivers are just crazy! Great pics, Grammie, thanks for taking us along!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jain...Thanks...glad you enjoyed!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and I certainly agree about snow machines! I do like to x-country ski in a nicely groomed snowmobile trail, though, I should admit. Your sunset pictures are stunning, as usual. I wonder if the landing strip (and wing patterns in the snow) might be made by wild turkeys? We had a flock in our backyard/woods once, and they definitely use a landing strip to take off into the trees to perch there overnight. I'd love to come across a wing pattern like that in the snow. You should send that photo to the Sunday Telegram. I bet it would appear in the paper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jean..yes that's one they do work good for :}}
    It could have been a turkey that made the the pattern it was a pretty wide wing span!!
    Thank you so much ..you are to kind!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! What photography! Excellent!
    Really enjoyed my visit! Will have to come back. Of course, I don't think there is an ugly picture of Maine!
    I used to live in Portland and on Peaks Island. PHS, 61.
    Glad you "liked" my "poetry!" LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Possum...well how about that a Mainer'..and from the Island at that!!
    Your poem was clever..lol!!
    We may be prejudice,but I think your right!!
    Glad you enjoyed and thank you very much!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi from Scarborough! I just found your blog, and I like it. You'll see me again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely set of pictures grammie; especially those sunsets.
    That's a heck of a lot of snow you've still got there.
    Never ceases to amaze me how some people think they can walk a frozen river without a ducking lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad I got to "walk with you" from my chair and not in the snow and slush. Kind of scary with all the snowmobiles. Must be a lot of noise pollution from them to spoil the winter solitude. You got some great photos....love that barn and the sunset and the snow shots. I think winter will be around for you a long time yet! Brrr.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Keith...Thank so much my friend!!
    The snow you learn to deal with especially when you have grown up with it all your life in the winter!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Mary...thank you...Saturdays and Sundays is when they are out the most and they mostly stay on the trails because of private property !!
    If they come through my back field they will get a surprise...lol.
    Oh yes it will be awhile before the crocus bloom around here..lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Some great pics. Those snow mobilers do take chances ... last year one went through a lake up here and unfortunately didn't live to tell the tale. I am very careful crossing our own lake and stay close to shore. There are soft spots and one needs to know where they are ... that's why it is so dangerous for those snow mobiles. You be careful!!!

    ReplyDelete