Friday, January 21, 2011

Beautiful Winter Day!!

We have not seen much of the sun here since Monday.  I do know, yesterday morning there was a very pretty sunrise,but I really have lost track of how many snowstorms we have had,and it has been snowing  all day today.  I'm guessing about 10 inches so far!!
I myself think it's beautiful ,but I don't have to get out when it is storming!!

So on Monday I had decided I was going to take a walk in the back fields and woods on my snowshoes before the storm on Tuesday .
When I realised how late it was getting (2:30) I almost decided not to go, but got myself moving and was heading for the woods within 15 minutes!! 

Once I had gotten into the woods
I was surprised to see how much snow was still on the trees
 from the previous storm!!


I love the streaks of sunlight  through the trees !!


Shining on the towering trees above me!!


I kept moving on in, then found that it was getting darker
  so started heading
 back out toward the fields...(at least I hoped I was headed that way)!!
"I need a compass!!"

 and I was, because here not far from the fields was a tree,
that at one time was used for a fencing post!!
The tree has grown around the wire!!


At the edge of the field the the sun was low and casting shadows
off the weeds and grasses there!!


Also some old farm equipment had been cast aside, and now was
starting to have vines and trees grow through them!!


 The snow that had blown up across the field to this  higher peak
 in previous storms, and had left this  crevice in the drift where I stood
 on the lower back side!!
I really liked how the blue of the sky met the white snow!!


Snow mounds at the bottom of the
 small trees and stubble with the last of the days sun shining through!!

I couldn't believe that these Hackmatack tree cones , which are
not as big as the end of your thumb, didn't blow away
...but instead made little drifts of snow!! : }


Back at home the almost full ""Wolf Moon"" was already
high in the sky!!


Of course opposite was the sunset!!





16 comments:

  1. Lovely set of images GG. I particularly like the ridge of snow. Great shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos ! Loved the post ! Nothing better then being in the woods ! Have a wonderful day !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Roy...thank you so much!! It fascinates me how the wind moves that snow around to make such interesting designs.

    Hey C.Gal..you got it..nothing better..so serene an quite!!
    Thank you!! Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a heck of a lot of snow you are getting over there.
    Nature is so artistic the way it swirls it around things, and creates patterns.

    Don't go wandering too far in the woods, till you get a compass! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you were able to get out and use those new snow shoes, Grammie G. Grenville was a bit envious of them when you first posted about them. Bet you're glad to have them too! Nice wintery shots and indeed peaceful looking. ENjoy the weekend too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Keith...A lot of snow, but also very pretty!!
    If you live in Maine you might as well make the best of it or move !! lol
    Thanks I'll be careful out there!!

    Hi Beatrice... Thanks so much;
    It's a great winter sport,and tell Grenville if he's up this way I'll let him try mine out..lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi GRAMMIE wow fantastic picture it's all so beautiful i can only dream of seeing snow cover like that its breath taking !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You need a cell phone with a compass app on it. Lemme see what I can do! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What beautiful images! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great series of winter shots, esp. the skies and the one in the field. I love the leading line in that pic. You've really captured the mood of this time of year. Nice new banner photo, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lot of wonderful shots. I bet it is really eerie and quite in the woods in winter. Love that fencepost and the high peak shot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Heidi..Thank you...we do live in a lot different climates don't we!!
    Just enjoy the pictures then you don't have to be cold...lol

    Hey Ney .thanks you my darling daughter!!


    Hi Lois...thank you..your welcome!!
    Enjoy those rolling sea's this week!! : }}


    Hey Robin...Thanks so much..I appreciate your comment!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ...lovely photos. I love the moon shot and the tiny seeds that left the big impressions! I love a snowy January. We don't have as much as you, but it's been constant, and we love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Mary..thank you...It may be a little eerie for some but I find it very tranquil!!


    Hi Kelly...Thanks...That moon has been making things very bright at night shining on the snow..almost need sunglasses at night to!! Isn't that a song "I wear my sunglasses at night"

    ReplyDelete
  15. You got some splendid shots of the sun and snow Grammie G, and maybe its nice but a trifle dangerous if you have to take a compass. I guess up there you are not entirely joking? Here we can't get lost, just listen for the roar of traffic not far away and head towards (or away from) it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful images Grammie, not that I would want that much snow. I would much rather look at yours.
    I love the photograph of the snow meeting the sky. Also the old machinery that has been left and the plants growing through it.

    ReplyDelete