The newer aluminum framed styles are so much lighter with more maneuverable capability and are equipped with steel crampons !!
My "Snazzy" new Eggplant and Blue Pathfinders!!
We both have a pair of the wood framed rawhide style which have severed us very well, but after purchasing a pair of the aluminum ones for my Grandson we both have been sold on getting them for ourselves!
The grandson with his pair, but of course this is not
the usual position you use them..: }}.., but if you need a rest,
and your a kid!!
My old pair" Oval bear paw style"
My daughter has the "Teardrop style"with a tail on the end!!
If you follow my blog you might have seen the pair of snowshoes
in my Christmas post that belonged to my Dad.
This is something you wouldn't talk about with snowshoeing diehards who belong to many clubs through out the state who use only the wood framed style!! I did look into a few things about that, and you can now purchase cleats and crampons to attached to them!!
These are some pictures from my first adventure with my new snowshoes about two days after the big snow fall and high winds ( which some called a blizzard.)..but this is Maine after all, and it is winter!!
I started from the field that is next to my property and soon found out the although the wind had caused a lot of drifting that the snow was still very soft and hard going!!
These are some pictures from my first adventure with my new snowshoes about two days after the big snow fall and high winds ( which some called a blizzard.)..but this is Maine after all, and it is winter!!
I started from the field that is next to my property and soon found out the although the wind had caused a lot of drifting that the snow was still very soft and hard going!!
I really liked how it had drifted through this grass!!
A snow drift caused by the blowing snow through this tree line!!
I headed to the woods onto one of the trails!!
"Here are my tracks"
The snow was still deep but much easier going
than the field!!
"Beautiful and pristine white"
Some trees that didn't withstand the winds
force!!
So many pretty sights, peacefulness, and the ability of being able
to just go about the woods in snow cover that would not be possible
if I didn't have snowshoes!! " I love it"
" This Is My Second Time Out"
Snow is mostly walkable without sinking in this time out!!
Love the trees towering over me such a great feeling
being out there!!
Then of course would I expect to find this sight !!
"Yes"..I have found a few deer hunter stands out there
before,but my first for one with and aluminum
ladder attached to the tree with a chain!!
Not always peaceful in hunting season!!
This is a potentail place to try!!
Power line cuttings that you could go for miles on ,
but these are used by people with snowmachine to,
so when there is more snow on the trail I will give it a try,
but will have to make sure I don't get run over!! ; }
Another Blast from the past !! Hahaha!!
"Been doing this for a long time and still loving it"
Go ahead and laugh..""I DID"'!! : }}


Goodness me, all that gear to go for a walk! I'm impressed by your staying power Grammie G, but some of those snow photos are just ace. And here's me complaining about a little ol' snow forecast.
ReplyDeleteHi Phil...you have to remember that "I'm a true blue dyed in the wool Mainer"..this is nothing to me. lol :}}
ReplyDeleteHey thank you!!
Beautiful images and a lovely post. We can go 20 years in the UK without snow, so when it arrives we can't cope.
ReplyDeleteLove the sunglasses in the lasr pic.
Very Hollywood xx
Hi Andrew...Thank you so much...
ReplyDeleteGlad you liked those sunglasses ..I hope you laughed..: }}
Beautiful snow scenes GG and a great new header.
ReplyDeleteSecond post I've read about someone getting new snow shoes. I've never gone snow shoeing but D and I were considering getting a pair for walking the dog. Sometimes it is a tough slog with just boots. I still might get a pair.
ReplyDeleteLove the last picture.
Dog sled races happening here today. Saw a couple of teams in the distance when we went walking - sure can hear them! The dogs get SO excited before setting off - totally wired to get going. Cold and blowing snow out so I'm not into standing around watching today.
Hey Roy..Thank you so much!!
ReplyDeleteHi Cicero...thanks...you should have a pair you would like it.. but I'm not sure about Mingus, he would be following in your tracks instead of in the lead!!
They have snowshoe and Dog sled races here too
never have been to seen either though!!
Class act aren't I though!! HaHa!!
Awesome YOU GO GIRL ! I havent been snowshoeing for years. I may have to get me a pair of the modern ones ! Great shots! AHAHA a wonderful day in the woods, nothing like it! Love your new blog look ! Have a warm and happy day !
ReplyDeleteHey Gal...Thanks so very much...
ReplyDeleteYou go girl... and get yourself a pair of those there modern day ones!! : }}
Keep your feet by the fire!!
I have to say that these are WAAAYYY better than those old ones. I couldn't turn around wearing those if I had 40 acres to do it with. :) However - I'm wondering if the new 'shoes are snow deterrents - we haven't gotten hardly a thing since I got mine! ♥
ReplyDeleteLove your new header, Grammie G. Good for you to get out there in your snowshoes. Spent many years living in Maine and never tried snowshoeing!! Slapped on a pair of cross country skiis a few years ago......not my thing! ~karen
ReplyDeleteWhat great pictures! That had to be lots of fun getting them, too. That ladder chained to the tree is something else. I guess that hunter plans to come back to use it again or was just too lazy to remove it.
ReplyDeleteHey Ney...Don't you worry we will have snow...we have a long way to go!!
ReplyDeleteThey are a lot different aren't they!!
Hi Karen...Thank you!!...where you been hiding..lol
Snowshoeing is nothing like cross country skiing,that's not my thing either..: }
Hi Lois...certainly wasn't snowy where you are today..lol
ReplyDeleteThank you..I really enjoy it!!
Will be interesting to see how long those ladders stay there!!
Grammie G, those snow shoes sure got a good workout and we got to enjoy some lovely winter shots - worked our great for everyone. Never tried snow shoes, but then living on the VA eastern shore, they would not get much use in the few snowfalls we get in winter. The Christmas snowfall of 16 inches was a rarity here.
ReplyDeleteHi Beatrice..thanks ever so much...
ReplyDeleteIt is great exercise and on the days when the roads are hard to walk because of snow, I can just put on the snowshoes and do that instead!!No.. I wouldn't think you would be needing any!! : }}
How cool, that's a good habit and it is nice you still enjoy it... You definitively got more snow than us, as we do not have any ;-) The pictures are beautiful and I would love to get some like this, but that's not gonna be for this winter apparently!
ReplyDeleteI love my snowshoes!! I have some from Cabela's and polls from LL Bean. I have enjoyed them now for two years and think, "Why didn't I do this before?".. you look great in that photo too!! Hope all is well... take care and hope to see you soon.
ReplyDeleteHi Chris...When I think of you being up there in Iceland I think cold, and snow but maybe it should be ice : }}
ReplyDeleteThank you Sweetie!!
Hey Tracey...long time..no hear no see...: }}
Been sick with stomach flu then a sneezing fit sort of cold I guess, so haven't been at church!
Debra L. has some to, we all should have a snowshoeing party!! lol
That's a lot of snow you've got there. Certainly getting the use of the snow shoes with that.
ReplyDeleteLove the snow scenes too; it looks so much better somewhere else lol
Hi Keith...Oh come on..you would love slapping on a pair of snow shoes walking through the woods, just think of all the birds you could photograph. lol
ReplyDeleteThanks my friend!!
Hello Grammie G,
ReplyDeleteI really love the shadows in those beautiful snow shots! You walk in the loveliest places :-)
blessings..Trish
ps. thank you for all the nice comments you leave for me-you are very kind!
This looks like so much fun! I like those old ones even if the new ones are better for walking. I'm sure I would end up on my butt, and never be able to get up again!
ReplyDeleteHi Trish..Thank you so very much!!
ReplyDeleteAnd you are very welcome...blessing to you too!!
Hi Mary...Ya..the old ones have a nostalgia to then for me but my body doesn't!!
I've been on my butt more then once,and trying to get up with those things on your feet is a trick!!
I love your new header too! What fun you have. We've never been to Maine, but certainly look forward to visiting in the future! Enjoy your new snowshoes. :)
ReplyDeleteKen has the newer style snowshoe. I still have my old ones like yours, and I still like them,...but I've never tried the newer style. I love going into the quiet woods on snowshoes or cross-country skis. I've heard Pineland Farm has great trails for either. (At 2:30 p.m., the snow storm has pretty much stopped in our neck of the woods. We got quite a lot of snow, a foot or so, I'd guess.)
ReplyDeleteHi Jen & Steve...
ReplyDeleteThank you..and I certainly will enjoy those snowshoes.. we just got about 16 inches of snow and still coming down!!
Hi Jean...I think you would like them...I find them lighter and much easier to put on, but I still have nostalgic feeling for my old ones!!
Stopped snowing but going at it again 4:30!!
You are sooooooo lucky to get all that snow and be able to snowshoe. We have snow, but not feet and feet...just 5 inches, but...more is on the way. I would love those snowshoes. Matty and I will have to head up to sled and snowshoe with you! :-) Rick is more into hockey than sledding...
ReplyDeleteHi Kelly...Come on up ...we can have a sliding party, and hot chocolate by a bomb fire afterwoods !!
ReplyDeleteThen we could do some snowshoeing in the back woods lol : }}
We have plenty of the white stuff after yesterdays storm!!