Saturday, September 4, 2010

It seems alot of you out there are gearing up and ready to embrace the vision of migrating birds ,Autumn blooms, the harvest, trees laden with a variety of ripe berries ready for the picking, Oak and Maple trees preparing  to sent forth a palate of brilliant shades of  burgundy to goldenrod yellow,and cooler temperatures but, I do not think I am quite ready to.."Wait"...Did I say cooler temperatures??!!!!! 
Cooler temps. I'm up for that !!! Bring it on!!
Since it feels more July weather I believe it is a good time to do the post on my rose garden that I never got around to!!


"There should be beds of roses, hedges of roses, edgings of roses.baskets of roses,
vistas and alleys of roses"
Samuel Reynolds  Hale...19th century horticulturists

This is a basic lay out!!
I built my arbors ...collected and placed 95% of the rocks...and built the pool
and planted everything in there !!
This of course do not happen over night, it took years and trial and error!!
I am not going  to post any roses by name if you want to know please ask!



"Words can never, never tell; half the beauty of a rose "
Cicely Mary Barker
"The Song of the Rose Fairy"




"I would trade a bed of linens for a bed of roses anytime"
Author Unknown!!







"In the garden mystery glows; the secret is hidden in the rose"
Faird ud- Din Attar (1119 -1230)



" Let us crown ourselves with rosebuds.....
let us leave tokens of our joyfulness in every place"








"The rose looks fair; but fairer we it deem for the sweet odour which doth in it live"
William Shakespeare" 



" We bring roses; beautiful roses ; dewy as the morning and colored like the dawn".
Thomas Buckanan Read
( poet  1822-1872)

 
Hope you enjoyed !!

"The world is a rose ; smell it and pass it on"
"Persian Proverb"

14 comments:

  1. What a beautiful rose garden, and to think you did the majority of the work to build it. It's really lovely, and your roses are exceptionally pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful garden Grammie. I would/could never aspire to such a grand design. Too lazy and unimaginative I fear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can remember being a little girl and the garden was basically just starting - it was an incredible temptation to pick the roses and you would threaten us within an inch of our lives. ♥ It's just as beautiful now as it was then (minus the chopped off tops, because we still picked them anyway).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are sure some beauties and the garden looks great. I can tell from the picture that it took a lot of work to get the garden that way. I'll bet you spend a lot of time out there taking care of the plants.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats a great layout GG and a beautiful garden to sit in. Lots of lovely rose shots you have taken. I can see why you don't want the snow to come.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jean...Thanks for your lovely comment on my garden!!

    Cicero...I bet there are many thing that you are good at that I'm not!! That makes it even!!

    Hey Nay... I miss those little girls terrorizing my rose garden!!

    Hi Steve..Thanks!! Yes they are quite demanding and require alot of care!!
    This was a tough summer for them!!

    Hey Roy...Thanks...like I said it is alot of trial and error!!
    It is quite peaceful when you enter through the arbors it is a place all its own!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. GrammieG, I have seen your comments on Steve's blog several times, and just came across your comment on Carrie's blog. My goodness, it seems to me we are destined to meet! Love your rose garden. It is beautiful. Where in Central Maine are you? I've spent the last 4 winters there. ~karen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Karen: What in the world are you doing in Maine in the winter!!
    I see on one of your blogs that you have been to Monmouth Me.
    Well I am not to far around the corner : }
    Lisbon !!
    Thanks for your kind comment!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whow ... an absolute bevy of beautiful blooms. What a glorious spot to sit and smell the fragrances. FAB.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are so beautiful! That first white one looks almost like a poppy. What a great variety you have and the work you have done is obvious! That last shot is very pretty with that spot of pink tinging the petals.

    ReplyDelete
  11. HI Frank ...Thanks for you kind words ...they keep me so busy that I usually don't have time to sit there...I'm am ususally on my knees weeding!!

    Hi Mary...Thank you...the white rose is more like the beach rose but grows like rugosas in form!! I think it is White Owl !!
    The last is a tea called Peace!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! I love your garden, one can tell it was a labor of love. How lovely it is with its arbors and pool. I could sit there all day and breathe in the scent of the lovely roses.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A beautiful rose garden you created. A lot of work, but so worth it. Stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Cheryl...sorry I hadn't notice your comment until now!!
    It is just about done for the year now but your welcome to drop by!! : }

    HI Keith..thank you!! Roses are a work of love!!

    ReplyDelete