Tuesday, September 28, 2010

" IF YOU DO NOT LIKE THE WEATHER IN MAINE...."

"If you don't like the weather in Maine ,wait a minute and it will change"!!  I was under the belief that we here in Maine had an exclusive on that little motto!
Today out of curiosity to where this motto derived from I goggled just that, and much to my surprise  over half of the states have used that exact motto and stuck there state name in there!! " What a blow"
Heavens knows I have a few blogger friends out in Ohio and Indiana who wish there weather would change to rain any minute now since they are as dry as a bone.  Don't think the motto would fit there to well!!
This all came about as I was thinking about how we had such a beautiful day Saturday;almost tropical !!
Temperature up to 80 degrees a good breeze blowing and stayed right up into late evening.  Sunday morning ""wham"" 65 and did not go above 69 all day!!  Now that was more than a minute you understand , but a adjustment shock no less!!
Today.. Monday 55 degrees and drizzling rain all day long !!  My feet are cold..cold..cold..and so is my nose!!
Saturday in shorts, tank top, and sandals I was out taking picture with the wind blowing between my toes ; }   Here are some of the picture I took while out:

Double click on pictures to enlarge:


My side door deck entrances!


Little Sabattus River walking distance from me !!


From the bridge down stream!!

There are Mushroom of every shape and color this year.


"Pretty but do not touch"
Poison Ivy!!




Wood Ivy growing up a dead tree!!


Colors are popping !! 

The Bluebirds would be happy to know  the
homestead is looking good in fall colors!

This is the kissing tree (my name for it )
Can you see the lip lock??

This is looking up river;more color!

I sure do hope it stops raining so the leaves will last longer and I can get out to enjoy!!



18 comments:

  1. Hi Grammie, I have died and gone to heaven. What a beautiful part of the world you live in. The colours ....just stunning. And don't you just love being near a river.....I love to sit by water, it is just so calming.

    We always think that just the british weather changes at the drop of a hat.......obviously not!!!

    A truly beautiful post

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! What gorgeous colors there! And, yes, in Cincinnati we have the same motto: If you don't like the weather, just wait five minutes. :) Thank you for those wonderful pictures!

    Lois

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures Grammie! We have that very saying for the Cariboo region that we live in -- and here I thought it was original to us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've got some beautiful scenery there in Maine. It's also cool and cloudy here this morning. We had eight tenths of an inch of rain yesterday and all the plants are looking brighter, even without the sun. I hope your sunshine returns soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful colors and photos, as for the rain its been doing alot of that here, just thank our lucky stars we dont live in the UK its more rain then sun ! Thats were my parents are from, Britian, may they both ( RIP).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely Autumnal scenes GG.
    The weather is rapidly becoming very changeable over here now as well.
    Its a funny time of year when it cant make its mind up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Cheryl...you made laugh out loud!!!
    Thanks ,yes it is beautiful when the leaves are in full color!!

    Hi Lois ...All the color can brighten up a dreary day like today!! Thanks

    Hi Cicero...It seem we all have the same idea on the weather. : }

    Hi Steve...Glad you got a little rain and we are supposed to have sun tomorrow!
    The Maple and Oak really give the great color here!!

    Hey Roy...I do hope that we have a mild fall !!
    I could use as much sun and warmth that I can get!!
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ken And Elaine...Sorry I didn't mean to leave out my new friends!!
    I just had a bleep in my radar that said you left out Ken and Elaine!! : {
    We had such a miserable hot humid summer( for Maine that is) without little rain!!
    Now it rains but hopefully that means less snow??

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great colours this time of year. It all looks stunning. I think that's the first time I've ever seen Poison Ivy.........I remember the song well though lol
    And the river.......oh I'd love to spend a few hours walking there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Keith...There you are...Poison Ivy pretty bad stuff some people have no problem with it "but me" well lets just say not pretty!!
    Hey it turns a nice color in the fall.lol
    I would love to have a canoe on the river myself!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful nature pics! Thanks for stopping by our blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So Maine is just like Iceland, you can get the four seasons in one day ;-)
    Got a beautiful post here...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Grammie. Fabulous fall colours and a quiet stroll along the river...great.
    Mist, rain and wind over here so swithed from one to three top layers!! FAB.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jennifer and Steve...thanks for coming by!!

    Hi Chris..Your cute..ya something like that!! : }
    Thanks!!

    HI Frank.. thanks....Hope you get some better days!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I too thought the quote about the weather was a Maine one! Yes we had a beautiful Saturday here as well, a nice hike in the woods, the dog got to wade in a little pond and chase sticks and it was so nice to be outside. And bam...Sunday I thought about turning on the furnace! The leaves here are beginning to change, maybe a weekend ride to check them out inland. Your photos were outstanding! I hope I don't get poison ivy from the photo, I swear I think about it and I get it badly! We have lots of it here in the backyard and it is indeed very pretty now...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous mushrooms and leaves! That one mushroom is so perfect. We use that motto here in Indiana, too....we just happen to be in a really dry spell for the last few months.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow!! You really have some beautiful photos here. I've always wanted to visit Maine. One of these days I'll get up there. We have the same motto here, but this summer it didn't ring true. It rained yesterday however...and today it's grey and cold. So different from our parched 90s!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Grammie, really nice images and so similar to the ones that we are seeing on our Maine road trip. Lots of mushrooms like the ones you showed were at Acadia National Park - look but don't touch was the advice we were given about them!

    ReplyDelete