Tuesday, September 14, 2010

YOU CAN"T DESTROY THE POND!!

This past spring a Lisbon road crew assended on the road I live on ditched the roadsides dug up culverts under the roads and replaced with new ones!!
One of these culverts is about 200ft from my home where there has always been a pond of mostly run off water from the winters snow melt and small spring fed  streams that run through my back property and collect there.
It was decided I assumed, that the culvert be placed lower to allow the pond water to drain of but found out later that my neighbor told them there never was standing water there and that it was causing his hay field to be wet and he wasn't able to mow in the area!! The culvert was lowered!!
The pond had been a great scource of entertainment for my daughters and many neighborhood kids when they where young ...ice skating ;tadploes; frog and painted turtle chasing and in general just poking around in it!!
My thoughts of the idea of not lying in bed at night in the spring being lulled of to sleep with the chorus of frogs and peepers singing there hearts out made me feel sad ...  this is not right to disturb this natural home of many many creatures!!
(click on pictures to enlarge)

This is a picture of a portion of the pond back in May of this year before constuction started!!  There has been a pair of Mallard ducks return here every years as long as I can remember!!

This is August and the culvert has been in for about 6 weeks!!
The pond is barely "no more", but enough to sustain plant life like the Arrowheads
that I have never seen growing here before!!

Pickerelweed also has taken up residences!!

Cattails also moved in!!

On August 26 this is what it looked like afer my neighbor ran his
bushwacker through it!! : {

The tree line in the background is where my land  abutts his field
and the pond!!

I discovered this plant growing near the edge of the pond this
past week I had never seen it growing here before.  I guess nature has a way
providing the right provisions for new growth !!

I was having a hard time identifing it so I e-mailed it to my daughter
and we think it Nodding Bur Marigold!! ??

I have hopes for the pond for next spring to retaining some water because there is a hugh rock near the mouth of the culvert that was not removeable and it is up about a foot out of the ground!!! : }

I also saw a couple of Sandpiper or something in that  family finding a meal in that mucky water so I believe that man can't always make things the way he wants!  I'll hear those frogs next spring I just know it!!!


AHEM!!
Did I hear someone mention my name!!! : }


12 comments:

  1. I so hope that you do indeed hear the peepers next spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sad the dumb and selfish things that mankind does with no regard to wildlife! You need to go kick that neighbor in the butt and then show him photos of all the wildlife he is destroying. I hope you get some water back next spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cheryl... Thanks!! I have a good felling I will! : }

    Hi Mary... I think that you have the right idea there!! I just busted out laughing when I read that!! : }
    I have a feeling I am not the only one who feels this way!!
    I could probably go to the town office or the state and complain because it is a enviromental
    disturbance but....you know what they say "you can't fight city hall." Grrrr!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey GG.
    Mary is not to be messed with, believe me.{:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh Roy ....did Mary put in your place!!
    If she did good for her since you like to tease and torment!! ; } "lol" : }

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a shame to see the destructive powers of mankind like that. I hope your pond fights back, and survives in some way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Keith...I have a feeling he has a looseing battle on his hands!! I think there may be some underground springs there!!
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. No, Mary is a very nice Lady.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey GG,
    Reference the photo you asked about, send me your email in my comments section and I will email you a copy if you would like it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi grammie g. I see a lot of this sort of thing in my work. Most people are busy changing their property from one condition to another. I sometimes think that it would be nice if we could shift the people around so they had the type of property that suited them.
    The great thing about the U.S. is that we have the right as property owners to choose how our land will be used, as long as we stay within the legal requirements. I have farmers, developers and recreationists that are outraged that I would devote my entire property to a natural area.
    It can be discouraging to see features like your pond disappear, but I've found that in most situations, the people making the changes are just as convinced of the correctness of their decisions as others are of the opposite. Hopefully there will still be some pond left for you to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great photos, as usual. I hope you get your pond back, too. I hate seeing nature disturbed.

    ReplyDelete