Tuesday, January 22, 2013

~~~ The Black Eyed Cutie~~~ (Tufted Titmouse)


I remember the first time I had ever seem this little cutie with the big black eyes , it was back in the mid 80's, and I had not much I could do but watch the birds at the feeder! I was recovering  from "a flying flip","kiss the floor" spill I took roller skating, injuring my back and busting up my knee pretty bad .. it was a long winter that year!!
With a field guide to birds book in hand ( no Google then ; )) I combed through many photo's , and finally found the  unmistakable black eyed cutie the "Tufted Titmouse"  who was not a bird I had ever seen ,and was not  shown to be common for my area at the time!!
As climate changes came about, they have moved their range to included the central to southern parts of Maine, and are  a year round resident!!

They usually grab a seed ,and fly back to a branch to open the seed, but on 
this feeder visit last week  it decided to take time for a photo shoot! : )

Since the male and female look alike , this could either be a Pretty Lady 
or a Handsome Fella !!

They are very perky and noisy, and will chase away other small birds at the feeder!!
Most likely why he is looking all around , scoping things out, but...

they also have been know to be very friendly, and will sit and eat out of a persons hand!





I love these Black Eyed cutie's ♥

20 comments:

  1. they absolutely make me smile. :)

    and i LOVE the redpoll shot in your header!!! so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Grace, as you say a real 'black eyed cutie'. A super little bird, and he/she stayed around long enough for you to get these super images. Excellent...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love your Tufted Titmouse, he/her is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic photos ! I haven't seen one here , I don't think we get them in this neck of the woods ! Such a pretty little fellow . Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great series of shots of a great bird which I haven't seen before, liked best picture No. 2.

    Ottar

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can see why you love this bird. It is a cutie! I have never seen one. Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful series. Such a sweetie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post, Grace! They are so cute. I can see them doing exactly what you wrote in your post too. Wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the tufted titmice, too, Grace. They're such mellow little birds.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cutie pie....he/she sure seems to like your place and posing for your enjoyment...

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a cute bird,somewhat like a Chickadee.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful bird but my eye keeps going to its feet and that rear talon which looks quite deadly if it were any bigger, especially dinosaur size.

    ReplyDelete
  13. they are too cute for words!!

    mine have been sitting and posing as well!! they tilt those little heads as if to say "thanks for looking out for me....would you like a picture??"

    great close up grace, these sure are makin' me smile!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Teresa... they make me smile to : )

    Thanks Trevor.. : )

    Thanks Bob .. :)

    Thanks Elaine.. :)

    Thanks Kathryn.. : )

    Thanks Lois.. : )

    Thanks Eileen.. : )

    Thanks Jean ..they are precious : )

    Thanks Nancy.. : )

    Thank You Adrian : )

    Thank You Ruth... they are in the same family : )

    Thank you John... ya those back talon : ) could be dangerous! lol!!

    Thank you Roy...I love the Redpoll on the header too and the TTM : )

    Thanks Debbie...we are lucky to have these cutie's on our coast : )




    ReplyDelete
  15. What a little sweetheart! Of course, they don't come anywhere near Alaska--darn it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jeg kom lige forbi.
    Flot fugl.
    Gode billeder.
    Tak for kigget.
    Ha` en dejlig aften.

    ReplyDelete
  17. One of my favorite little birds...so sweet and happy looking. I just posted photos of mine today. I don't know how I missed all these posts of yours! Must have been when I was watching tennis!

    ReplyDelete