Early Friday morning as I sat in my my usual spot with my coffee looking out over the back yard, from the low underbrush appeared a crazy gang of five Jake's (Male Turkeys under a year old) !! They got to acting foolish , and had me laughing so hard my stomach hurt!! I kept thinking I wish I could get shots of this, but it was pretty foggy and it is at least 600 ft away from the house !! Finally I said worth a try!! I only caught a bit of the action as I guess they where winding down at this point!! These are not great because of the fog and some cropped a couple of times, but it gives a idea of just how funny wildlife can be : }}}!
"Weeeee...watch this boy's" !!
I can't tell you how many times I saw this occur ...I laugh every time I see it!!
Look at me "I'm Jumping Jack Flash"..it's a gas..gas..gas : }}}
Later in the morning they where down closer to the house ..I thought they looked very lovely
with the color of the hydrangea blossoms ..well as lovely as a Turkey can be : }
The beard is still short, which helps ID them as Jakes, and the spurs on the back of the legs
is the positive for males!!
Hope you have a good laugh today!! : }}}}}
you did great capturing the action! love the jumps. :)
ReplyDeleteThe mid air shots are a riot! Who knew turkeys enjoyed ballet?
ReplyDeleteThose are great! I have never seen turkeys really, saw some shapes way out there in the distance and someone told me they were wild turkeys. They must have put on quite a show, I love watching wildlife, they can be very entertaining.
ReplyDeleteHi Grace, Glad you're laughing, after your recent tribulations you deserve some cheer, and we can always rely on nature to put on the perfect show.
ReplyDeleteAnd you caught some amusing images to look back on and remind you...if ever you need a laugh...[;o)
I've seen plenty of wild turkeys around here, but I've never seen them cutting capers like these. What a riot. They were definitely feeling their oats.
ReplyDeleteHi Grace,
ReplyDeleteThese are funny and I would love to see this one day!
Your pictures are nice, you had a good idea to get your camera!
Have a nice week,
Louise
Grace, what fun photos. I can just picture the turkeys jumping up and down to the Rolling Stone's song. Loved the photos!
ReplyDeleteThey were surely trying to impress the girls. I wonder if they realize Thanksgiving is just around the corner. ;)
ReplyDeleteAwesome photos ! I did have a good giggle ,thanks ! Animals are quite humorous aren't they ? Have a good day !
ReplyDeleteSilly birds.....good they provided a laugh.
ReplyDeleteIt is good for you to have a good laugh. Now we know why there is the saying "Don't be a turkey".
ReplyDeleteLaughing is good for the soul.Turkeys are some unique looking critters.
ReplyDeleteHi Grace, what a great show you were given there, and I think we well understand from your great photos !
ReplyDeleteA good laugh is sure good for the soul !
haha....the things we know and enjoy as we get older!!
ReplyDeletei didn't know they jumped like that!!
Wonderful to see them Grace ... we don't have them in the wild over here so many thanks for sharing their antics.
ReplyDeleteToo funny!! I didn't realize turkeys would jump like that. What a delightful way to begin your day. I love the shots by the hydrangeas!
ReplyDeleteHope you are feeling better, Grace. Nothing like dancing turkeys to liven up a morning and even better then turkeys in the TV.
ReplyDeleteNever had a jumping turkey in my garden, but I really enjoyed looking at yours. From Findlay
ReplyDeleteHA!! great turkey shots! especially those 'caught in the air' shots!! CUTE!! they made ME smile!
ReplyDeleteWow...terrific jumping shots! Glad you raced in there and got your camera. I'm sure this was very funny to sit and watch. Isn't it nice to have free entertainment once in awhile?
ReplyDeleteThose are fun photos of the critters entertaining themselves. They certainly made me smile!
ReplyDeleteIt was funny, ha ha. I love 'em.
ReplyDeleteI didn't know they could jump!
ReplyDeleteI usually have them in my yard but haven't seen any yet this fall. Lovely color when the fog cleared.
ReplyDeleteNow if you'd joined in that singing, dancing and jumping around like that we could have all had a good laugh Grace and if I'd been there we could have shown those guys a trick or two. I guess those turkeys are lekking? Your old pal Phil - still raining in the UK and thanks for that.
ReplyDeletemiss you!!
ReplyDeleteI guess Turkey's hav e testosterone. {:))
ReplyDeleteLove it! We've been hearing lots and lots of turkeys in the woods/farm field next to us, but the corn is currently hiding them. I love their little clucks. :)
ReplyDelete