Saturday, August 11, 2012

~~~~Cedar Wax Wings : } ~~~


In yesterdays  post I said I would post one of my favorite birds that I had seen on my early morning "very short" walk, but I didn't need to go far to find these gorgeous birds !
As I neared the river I could see a bird making it's way through the brush,so camera alert, and click my first shot ... I was surprised that through the view finder I was seeing.....

The Cedar Waxwing!!
I thought a few times this summer I had heard them, but having a Mockingbird 
 in the neighborhood , mimicking all the birds he can, you never know!

It flew over to this dried weed ,and  I was glad it didn't seem frightened by my presents !!
This shows pretty well some of the distinct markings of the Cedar Waxwing!!


The male and female look alike....with smooth.silky,shiny feathers !!
It is a little washed out in color here, for the sun was beaming in on it!!

Here this one seemed to be picking at the plant ...


Then another one flew down and they both looked like they had something in there beaks...
Not sure what that means...maybe a courting ritual ... both look like adults
They do have there brood in late summer from what a read, but this seems late, but maybe not !!

I didn't catch what aspired after that last one, because the photos didn't 
come out so well ...this is the next best of one flying of!!
Maybe because I was so excited : } 

It flew of into the brush...


Then this one , and they where to far off " "darn"!!
I read that in summer they love to skim over water for insects,and can put on 
a pretty good acrobatic show : } , that I would love to see! 
This is the first time I have gotten a good look at them summer!
In the fall and winter they gather in large groups, and feed ravenously on apples,and berries!! 

Here is a link to a post I did of the Wax Wings in winter if your interested!! 


31 comments:

  1. nice one and worth a visit to your past post link.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and of course i should add we do not get the waxwing in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope to see one in real life someday. They are a striking bird. I like that first inflight foto.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous grace, no sarcasium today, this is a beautiful entry!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great shots. I remember the first time of saw a Cedar Waxwing, I was amazed by their beauty and elegance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. they are so gorgeous. i love the pic of the one landing near the other!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastische Fotoserie, vor allem die Flugbilder sind Dir grandios gelungen...

    Herzlichst aus der Schweiz

    Hans-Peter

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful series of shots of the Cedar Waxwings, Grace! They are beautiful birds, always enjoy seeing them. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing, the Cedar Waxwing is a beautiful. We get some of their relatives in the winter, Bohemian Waxwings, aren't they colourful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have some superb shots here.These birds are silky looking.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice! Glad you got to see one. We had them come through once that I know of--a whole flock came through, but I've not seen them since.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely! Your walk really paid off for you. The Waxwing photos are beautiful, as well as all your shots in the last post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow, GREAT waxwing pictures, grace...they sure are unusual looking birds...beautiful! i LOVE the FLYING shots you got!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous! The images of the bird in flight are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful little birds to see Grace...your images are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those lovely birds again GG. You are so lucky to see them. I didn't see any reports of our winter visitors of the similar breed that we get this last winter.
    Nice shooting Lady.{:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your photos of the waxwing. Such a pretty bird.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a neat bird - they look like they've got a mask on. Excellent captures!

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh...I miss my birds!! we had 5 bird feeders and birds from everywhere...the squirrels won....
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.
    love your pics!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great shots of the wax wings Grace! I love the wings open shot you always have awesome stop action shots!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. A wonderful encounter and you got some great shots Grace. They really are beautiful birds. As you probably remember the UK had a huge influx of Bohemian Waxwings the Winter before last...I must have been the only person not to see one! :-(

    Love your birds and bloom photos on the lat post too, especially the little Wrens :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm with you on this bird Grace, they are beautiful. Your second photo really shows their colors and the ones in flight are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  23. They are so pretty! I am always amazed by how smooth and sleek they look. I'm hoping to see some here when the crab apples are ripe. They usually come for them in January and we have a huge crop of them this year.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sorry to be so late on thanking you all!!


    Thank you WAW : }

    Thank you John : }

    Thanks Debbie : }

    Thanks Kathryn : }

    Thanks Teresa : }

    Thanks Hans-Peter : }

    Thanks Eileen : }

    Thanks Bob : }

    Thanks Ruth : }

    Thanks Sue : }

    Thank You Elaine : }

    Thanks Laura : }

    Lois thanks so much : }

    Thanks Andrew : }

    Thank you Roy..I do feel lucky, appreciate the compliment!! : }

    Thank you Denise :}

    Thanks Al : }

    Annamarie..the squirrels are had to keep away, that's to bad! Thanks for coming by and following : }

    Thanks Sondra...Those birds listen to my commands that how i get those
    shots : }

    Thanks Jan..perhaps this winter will be your turn to see the Bohemians : }

    Thanks Larry..no doubt they are beauties!! : }


    Thanks Mary...they surely will be stopping by and clean those trees out for you : }


    ReplyDelete
  25. Great shots of a beautiful bird Grace.
    Like Bob said, we get their cousins over here in the winter.
    Love those flight captures.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Grace, since I don't seem to be able to see any of these cedar waxwings around our area, I'm always glad when you share yours.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks in advance Phil. Gracie I reckon you did really well to get pictures of the Cedar Waxwings there because they are so well hidden against the background - a bit like me when I'm keeping a low profile. Must be great to see Waxwings in the summer - here we only get their cousins Bohemian Waxwings and then only if we are lucky when they pop over from Norway. Norway is a place in Europe that gets as much snow as Maine but not as hot in summer.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi,
    Yes I had seen your message but being just back to work, I'm kind of busy... Thanks for you message and to point me out to this gorgeous post with beautiful cedar pictures. i hope we will have some bohemian invasion this year ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. We jave Bohemian Waxwings in my neck of the woods - Cedar at the coast. They are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I absolutely love your waxwing photos. Such a beautiful bird!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Nice set - I like the caterpillar best.

    ReplyDelete