It is a very interesting read!! My belief that moths are attracted to light is false...they are disorientated by light!! They fly around in circles trying to find there way and become exhausted,and will land to rest!!
Seems it has to do with the Moon as navigator for them,and etc.and etc....... Jan at Bankside blog or Steve at Blue Jay Barrens blog .."HELP"..these are the people in the know on these subjects!!
The Luna; with 4.5 inches of wing span...and my first real chance to get photos!! (used a point and shoot)
The largest or next to the largest moth in North America ...
Google searches couldn't make up there mind!!
I have been seeing them all my life, and as a kid I thought they where massive!! : }
This is a male? I think it is because of the size,and amount of hairs on the antennas, which are used to catch the scent of the female!!
Other then that they look alike!!
They are a spectacular looking moth !!
I went inside,and he flew up to the top of the window....and no he isn't eating that green bug...they don't eat because they have no mouth!!
They live about a week!!
Here he is is taking a screen test for a particular role.. : }}}}}
but the only role he will play is the purpose to mate with a female..
and he has only that week to do it!!
This is my shot in the dark through the window : }, and I love this one ..he looks so comical!!
Bombs away!! Look out below!!
4.jpg)
What an amazing looking creature Grace! What a short live they have, just a week to find a mate before they die, no pressure! ;)
ReplyDeleteJ
Follow me at HEDGELAND TALES
it is so beautiful (and matches your blog background color perfectly) :)
ReplyDeletei've never seen one in person. when i saw that lunesta commercial, i thought 'what an odd moth for an advertisement'. only later did i learn it was a luna moth.
I've only seen one once--many years ago. Very beautiful....and BIG.
ReplyDeleteMoths have been around far far longer than electric lights have---I believe they become disorientated.
What a beautiful moth. A week and it's away, make love, gone forever.
ReplyDeleteYou took some great shots of this amazing creature GG.
ReplyDeleteWoW!!! This is an interesting and beautiful moth. The wings don't even look real,more like some sort of leaf. All that beauty and to only have a week to live.
ReplyDeleteThanks John..yup no pressure!!
ReplyDeleteThank Thersa...lol ; } !! Ya I work hard at making sure my post coordinate ; }!!!
Thanks Sue...ya we can't forget the like a moth to the flame quote
though : }
Thanks Bob...ya sort of like a one night stand lol!! : }}
Thanks Roy : }
Thanks Ruth..Hard to believe they are real they are so beautiful!!
Grace, What a beautiful moth, and how fortunate you were that it shared some of it's precious time with you. Great images...[;o)
ReplyDeleteOh I'd love to see one someday. Very nice Grace.
ReplyDeleteIf he's a robust male, he'll surely find a way to mate! He's working under tremendous pressure, though. Your photos are outstanding. Now I wonder if I've ever seen a lunar moth. If I have, I needed to take more attention.
ReplyDeleteHi Grace, they are cool looking moths and so big. I have only see one once in my yard and it was a treat to see it. I enjoyed your photos, awesome shots. I hope you are having a great weekend.
ReplyDeleteHi Grace. Are you trying to put me on the spot? I don't think the experts have ever come to an agreement on why moths fly to lights.
ReplyDeleteI personally don't agree with the theory that moths navigate by orientation with the moonlight. Given the moon's cycles and the adult moth's probable short life span, it's possible that many moths live their entire adult lives without the moon ever appearing in the night sky.
I think the moths are drawn to the ultraviolet emissions from the white light. It's thought that moths in general respond to ultraviolet in locating both food and a mate. A bright light could be advertising either "All You Can Eat" or "Girls-Girls-Girls".
Wow, amazing is right. I have never seen one in person.
ReplyDeleteLOVE these guys havent seen one in a couple yrs. I didnt know they only live a week, so thanks for that info!!
ReplyDeleteWhat an adorably beautiful creature! From above it reming
ReplyDeleteds me of a manta ray swimming close to the surface. Aren't God's creatures a wonder to behold?
What a beautiful moth! You did a great job capturing him. I've never seen one.
ReplyDeleteWow!
ReplyDeleteVery interesting blog.
Magical pictures.
Lucia-Maria
What an incredible looking moth, a real beauty! Your photos really do it justice Grace. I can't believe how big it looks!! How very sad though that such a lovely creature lives only one week....
ReplyDeleteAnd yes, you had me scurrying to google again to look it up and also the behaviour of moths in general ;-)
is it dead?? did you step on it?? (i couldn't resist!!)
ReplyDeletei am hooked on google also. in blogland, you better get your i.d.'s right!! hehe
your turn!!
A spectacular moth.....I'm as green as it...wish we had them here.
ReplyDeleteAlright I know everything in the US has to be bigger, better and brighter, but 45 inches? Are you pulling my UK leg or just trying to impress an old fool Grace? Looks like you have started a bit of a debate with your moth and moon theories though - hope you don't have to step in and keep the peace. By the way the weather has been a little better today over here, so thanks for doing that. Now about the next month or two.........
ReplyDeleteWhat great shots, that is an enormous moth!
ReplyDeleteGrace, I have only seen a Luna moth once before and appreciated the background info and photos in this post and laughed at the screen test one.
ReplyDeleteWow! Grace what a lovely looking moth.
ReplyDeleteI am always amazed at how different things are across the pond.
Take care Drew xx
What a beautiful creature. Absolutely a terrific opportunity, thanks for sharing your evening guest.
ReplyDeleteThey are so amazing looking! So big and colorful. I've seen only one before. Maybe I'll try adding one to my nature quilt :-) I've been needing a few more ideas to stitch.
ReplyDeletethese Luna moths are so pretty!!! when you're lucky enough to see one...it just about makes your heart beat faster! wow!! too bad they only live for about a week...but i guess it's like that for many species of moths and butterflies.
ReplyDeleteGREAT shots Grace...and thanks for all the info too!
Hi Grace,
ReplyDeleteVery interesting subject and very nice photos of this "magnifique" moth!
Thanks for sharing this and have a great week!
Louise
Nice pictures! I see these often at my in-laws' house up in Norridgewock. Good for you doing all that research! I learned something! BTW, just thought you'd like to know that we are moving back to Tucson soon. It has been fun being here on the east coast for awhile and I will definately miss my family but I hope to come home at least once a year!
ReplyDeleteStunning!! I haven't seen one in years and years!
ReplyDeleteWow, they are gorgeous... I've never seen one!
ReplyDelete