Well as usual ...yes I googled it ...but as I found out from my last post that I am not alone..yes you know who you are ; }
Did I ever find more information then I wanted :" Is White a Color"?
This is one definition that made me chuckle: White projects purity , cleanliness an neutrality, ..doctor's don white coats..brides traditionally wear white gowns..and a white picket fence surrounds a safe happy home !!
Hmmm...sounds good, but that definition could cause a major discussion of it's own!!
Here are a few of the one liners on white:
"Never use pure white; it doesn't exist in nature"___Aldro T. Hibbard (whoever he is) : }
White evokes purification of thought or actions.(.hmmm..probably not to the groom at the alter,when he see his bride in a white gown coming down the aisle)!!
Physically white encourages us to clear clutter or obstacles!! (maybe I should paint my kitchen white.lol!!!
To the scientist white is the presences of color..
To the artists white is the absence of color!!
Interestingly more shades of white are available commercially then any other color!!
We tell little white lies...and wave white flags of surrender...on and on it goes!!
I have some colors...no...photos of .. "white"?????
You know I still don't know exactly what the definition of white is .....
I read that you can't mix colors to create white...therefore white is the absence of color in the strictest sense
of the definition!!! However when you examine .....ya sure!!!
So what are your thought..."Is white a color"??????
I won't enter not this ,only to say that the 'white' you have shown in the pictures is beautiful and restful to the eyes.
ReplyDeleteHi Grace,
ReplyDeleteI love white. I have white walls in my home, always wear white cotton jim jams, have more white flowers in the garden than any other.......you get my drift BUT white is not a colour.
There is no colour to it :) White is white!!
Love your digitalis, rosa rogosa, daisies etc....for me the absolutely perfect bloom :)
Hi Grace,
ReplyDeleteI love white. I have white walls in my home, always wear white cotton jim jams, have more white flowers in the garden than any other.......you get my drift BUT white is not a colour.
There is no colour to it :) White is white!!
Love your digitalis, rosa rogosa, daisies etc....for me the absolutely perfect bloom :)
Don't ask me how this come up twice Grace, havn't the faintest idea :)
ReplyDeleteColor or not, it's beautiful and your photos are stunning!
ReplyDeleteI find white to be a color. Just look at daisy petals, or "David"Phlox and tell me that's NOT a color.........
ReplyDelete:)
No, white and black are not colours, so I was taught in school, still, that's what the professors said.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I do love your white flowers.
your photos are gorgeous and refreshing. and i am grateful to have white 'colored' pencils in my drawing container. :)
ReplyDeleteYou know what I am going to say - color is American slang for the Queen's English word of "colour" - there is no such word as color Grace so don't go putting those words on your blog just because you haven't got a proper spell checker. If you like I can send you an English language version of Word so that your spellling will be impeccable and your blog can be as good as mine? The other complaint I have is that there are no birds on your post, just weeds. And anyway the last time I saw your fence it certainly wasn't white, more a dirty grey in need of a paint job. And yes that's "grey" and not "gray" - Oh no look what you've started.
ReplyDeleteHi Grace, interesting question you ask....but I still love your white-colored (?) flowers from the nature !
ReplyDeleteBest wishes to you at the same time as I look at the rainbow !!
Thanks Ruth..can say that I blame you ; }
ReplyDeleteThanks Cheryl..my favorite gardening friend..glad you enjoyed !!: }
Thank so very much Jill : }!
Thanks Sue..your comment made me chuckle!! : }
Thanks Bob..
Thanks Teresa..good answer! : ]
Thanks Phil...I hope you feel vindicated ; } I just knew I was to pay for my comment on your blog...
You got me lol!! Of course my fence isn't white..did I say I live a safe happy life?? ; }
Thanks so much Lasse!! : }
Grace, how can they make a white crayon WHITE without having some kind of color to make it? What is the white crayon made of then? I loved all your white-colored flowers. They are gorgeous. Great post. Have a wonderful day.
ReplyDeleteWow Grace these are all wonderful images to see...is white a colour?
ReplyDeleteIt doesn't matter it is clean and pristine.. a lovely subject to post.
Hugs Drew xx
First, a gorgeous set of photos of your lovely white flowers!
ReplyDeleteIs white a color? An artist certainly has white in their palette, as do house painters, etc. All those shades of white you purchase when you buy a can of paint are all variations with some other color added, but I don't think pure white exists. When I look for flowers and decide on a color, white is definitely one of the choices. If it isn't a color, why is there a word for it? I guess I don't think it's important if technically it's the absence of color or not. My mind perceives white as a color, and so therefore it is--in my world at least!
You did a good job with the whites which can be difficult- my favorite is the daisies
ReplyDeleteWHite is the UNCOLOR..lol I live white in nature it belongs perfectly.
ReplyDeleteGrace, good question about white and don't forget a "white out" and snow white. Now I wonder if white isn't a color than how can it describe other things??? Great photos of this non-color!
ReplyDeleteWhite is a beautiful color. Great photos of all those white colors in your world.
ReplyDeleteWhite is an important color for without it black would be meaningless and then we'd be without an important aspect of photograhy and art.
ReplyDeleteLove all your 'whites' in nature, whoever was the twerp who said white does not exist in nature? What about snow as well? No artist will say that white is the absence of colour since, when you paint a perfect colour wheel and spin it fast enough, all the colours blend and give you . . . da, dah . . .white!
ReplyDeleteGreat photos.
No, but its a colour.{:)))
ReplyDeleteBeautiful floral images GG>
Thanks Eileen ; }
ReplyDeleteThanks you Andrew,and for your
input : }
Thanks Elaine.loved hearing your thoughts on the subject!! : }
Thanks so much John...daises always look so happy !! : ]
Thanks Sondra..you funny girl!! : }
Thanks B...just checking to see if your paying attention lol : }
Thanks Muffy : }
Thanks John...love your input!!
Thanks Arija...lol twerp huh..now I am curious !! : }
Thanks Roy...I should have expected that answer from you! ; }
I like your white ramblings and photos. From our eyes' perspective, something will appear white if it's got the right mixture of three specific wavelenghts of light, so it's really a mixture of colors...
ReplyDeleteI like white, it's a color to me, especially when I see your gorgeous white flower photos. Have a great weekend!
ReplyDeleteSuch a fun and interesting post Grace. Lots of fascinating facts and all about something that apparently doesn't exist ;-) the more you think about it the more surreal it gets!
ReplyDeleteAll the photos of the white flowers are beautiful. I never used to be keen on white flowers but love them nowadays.
Hope you have a great weekend!
I've got a headache!...why? I can hear you ask through the stifled giggles! Well...I'll tell you, I've just spent the last ninety minutes in the company of my good friend Google trying to find an answer to your ?@%^$£"* question!!
ReplyDeleteI now know how they use pigments to make WHITE paint, how chemicals and minerals are used to make WHITE paper, why WHITE plays a major part in various religions around the world, why doctors and scientists wear WHITE coats and I've even revisited the colour wheel just to make sure!!
And the conclusion...I don't bloody care anymore if you want WHITE to be a colour then it's a colour, okay!
Brilliant..oops..post Grace and stunning images, WHITE can sometimes be a difficult colour....aaahhh!...[;o)
What exquisite photos!! It's white around my property right now, too!!
ReplyDeleteWhite is a nightmare to capture with a camera; so yea, it's a colour to me lol
ReplyDeleteLove the white rose.
that brain of yours is always ticking!!
ReplyDeletewhite's a color in my book!!
Aw Grace, great post. Half of our yard is full of white. Here's my take on white.
ReplyDeleteAll of our photos are possible due to the visible spectrum of light, the rainbow if you will. As light is reflected our cameras capture it. When no light is reflected we have no color, black. When all colors of the spectrum are reflected back we have white. It's a bit more complicated than that, I kind of nut shelled it.
"White" a controversy! Love all the comments! Whoever said pure white is not found in nature must be blind....you have proven that with your beautiful photos!
ReplyDeleteLove this post! White is certainly amazing in nature and you have some absolutely gorgeous white photos! To the quilter, white when added to another color in fabric is called a "tint". Black added is a "shade". Hope I got that right!
ReplyDeleteBEAUTIFUL WHITES!!!!
ReplyDeletei always thought it was weird how they say black & white are not considered colors??!! i mean, if we can SEE it...then we must be seeing it...as a color...we can mix white or black to change the shades of OTHER colors...strange.
either way though...you have some gorgeous WHITES there!
You are something else! Here's another thught for you: when I took a master gardener's course my instructor told us that white is the brightest color in the landscape! Your photos prove that! It stands out so starkly against the deep greens of foliage! Love these photos. I will miss seeing Queen Anne's Lace!
ReplyDelete