Wednesday, April 18, 2012

~~"When The Opportunity Thuds Against The Window"~~

I was working in the opposite end of the house when I heard a thud against the sliding door glass in the living room!   When I came out to check a few minutes later I was very surprised to see poor Mr Yellow Bellied Sapsucker spread eagle, and knocked silly !   If you only knew how many times I have tried to get a photo of this fella, and here he lies in front of my door ...not the way I wanted to get photos of him!! !!  I felt like I should be helping him, but he was alert enough to see me when I came to the door ..so I got the camera and started clicking away, while keeping an eye on his progress!!

I was fascinated by the details of his feather pattern, right down to the tips of yellow
on his tail feathers...such a beautiful bird!!

I felt a little guilty just staring and taken shots as the poor thing tried
to figure out how he got in this mess!!

As he pulled his wings in, and stared to look pretty alert..I felt better and
I am sure he did to!!  ; }

"What are you look at lady"!!
The Yellow Bellied Sapsucker is a member of the Woodpecker Family,but a
migrating bird for my area, whereas the others are not!!
They nest in hollowed trees and branches as the Woodpecker does!!

I looked up a few facts and came across an article that made me laugh
it started out like this:
The Yellow Bellied Sapsucker's name sounds like an insult that "Yosemite Sam
might sling at Bugs Bunny" although the Y.B.S. moniker aptly describes it's habits and appearances!!
I also read one where it said aside from birders most people thing there is no such bird!!

He has found a way to get out of this mess, and is about ready to make a move!!


And he made it up onto the door frame, and a real pain trying to take a shot on
a slant from inside was a chance shot, but not bad!

He rested a bit on the door frame , and flew to this tree no far away!
The tiny holes you see in this tree are made by this fella...
this is the main way they get there source of food by drilling a series
of small holes deep into the trees ( mostly aspen and birch ) that fill with sap!!
They also will eat insects and fruit!

I am glad I took the opportunity to read about this fella that I have had
here on my property area many summers.....I  found out some interesting facts that made me understand some things: See the not so great photo above..well it the fella getting ready to bang away on that metal roof on the birdhouse, I  thought it was to get the insects under there .. I now know why he does that !!
The are very territorial ,and use many metal items such as mailboxes
(neighbors really live that one.. lol ) and as the roof above to sound out the amplifying drumming that to me sounds like a jackhammer on metal ....to mark there area!!

I imagine whacking his bill on metal day after day made his thump into the window a not so bad an experience after all ; } !!

35 comments:

  1. Glad he came round, we have had a few bangs on our windows and some of the birds didn't make it. Last year a poor juvenile sparrow hawk came to a sticky end this way. Nice little bird nice to see that he still has many holes to drill another day

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful bird. Sorry about his unfortunate accident but glad he survived. I've seen and heard woodpeckers hammer away at metal and assumed they were not particularly "gifted and talented." it never occurred to me that they were announcing there territory boundaries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful bird! Glad he is okay, while it was unfortunate for him at the time, it was fortunate for you as you were able to snap some fantastic pictures! Not everyday one gets to see the detail of the feather patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow-that is a pretty bird up close. I never noticed all the markings. I'm sorry he had to smash into the patio door for us to see him up close, but good thinking on taking the photos while you had the chance!

    ReplyDelete
  5. he really is a gorgeous bird. i've only seen them up in our locust tree - drilling holes for sap. you got up close and personal, but glad he recovered. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful images Grace it's happens to me all the time.. with some unfortunate results sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The bird lives to carry on and you got wonderful,detailed pictures. It is a beautiful bird. I had one on the yard yesterday,but,alas,no pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. He's lucky he didn't become dinner for some other critter while he was recovering. :\ What a great series of images you were able to get!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so happy that there was a happy ending for this Sapsucker. Your closeup shots are pretty. I hope you are having a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so happy that there was a happy ending for this Sapsucker. Your closeup shots are pretty. I hope you are having a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent post! So glad he was okay!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WELL you got some great snaps of him while he recovered...glad he was not injuried too bad, only stunned and probably wondered WHAT HAPPENED...Have a good oneeeeee.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've had lots of hits on my window today.. I don't know why, today was different. These birds like yours get stunned then usually come around and fly away. I am so happy you had the chance to get such great photos. All is well that ends well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. He's really a pretty bird. Too bad he had to take a header so you could get these nice photos, but Woodpeckers do have pretty hard heads. We don't get the Sapsuckers here, but I've had a lot of Hairy and Downy Woodpeckers at my feeders this last week. Most of the birds we get hitting the windows are the little Redpolls and most of the time they are able to fly away, but occasionally they don't make it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Indeed...what an amazing bird: and the photos are marvelous.
    Kiss

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Grace, Now aren't you the lucky one to have such a smart fellow come knocking at your window?...and then you take advantage while he's in no fit state to defend himself!!...lol.
    Only joking, of course!!

    You got some great close shots and I'm glad that he recovered to tell the tale.

    Great post...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  17. The poor bird, YBS is aliright' I hope he has learnt, do not fly into patio window. Actually, it would nice of somebody to invent a clear window to see through and outside was something like bricks. Just thought?????????

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great photos Grace, very opportunistic! At least he was okay, too many birds have hit my windows and succumbed!
    J
    Follow me at HEDGELAND TALES

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Grace,

    I am so glad the beautiful woody survived. I do so hate it when birds fly into glass.....I have found many a dead bird on my patio. I now have stickers on the glass and so far the situation has improved.

    Interesting facts about a very very pretty bird.......

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am so glad he is OK and I am so glad too that you were home and were able to get these amazing shots of him.....He is so beautiful with his coloration....

    ReplyDelete
  21. um, that's cheating!! and could you offer him a little water, or a seed or two to eat?!

    don't mess with me, you have no idea what i am capable of!! hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a chance for some gorgeous close ups ... so glad it survived

    ReplyDelete
  23. Grace, some beautiful close-up shots of a very beautiful bird and the background was interesting as well. I have never been fortunate enough to photograh this birds so glad you got such wonderful shots to share. Gladd too your eyesight is so much improved after the surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello Grace,

    This is such a beautiful bird and you're right, not easy to take pictures of it!

    This was a rare opportunity for you to take picures and you did beautifully well because your pictures are all great!

    Thanks for sharing!
    Have a great weekend, Louise

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thats a great story GG, he probably needs a some headache pills. Good that he was angle to recover OK though.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a wonderful story with a nice end... IT could have been bad but ended happily both for the photographer and for the bird!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hey what's all this about you being a Little Rascal? Are you thinking I didn't already know that from the cheek you give me now and again. I guess that little fella felt like you did after the surgery but he shook himself up, took a look around and pretty soon was back to normal - well as normal as is possible in your rascally case. Now if I'd been there I would have picked the poor guy up and fitted a new shiny ring to make him feel special.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ouch!! Poor thing, I'm so glad it survived! You certainly got some great photos while it was recovering, Grace. What a beautiful bird it is when seen closely. We once had the perfect imprint of a Sparrowhawk on our glass door, there was no sign of it though so it must have survived. I heard the bang from upstairs!!

    Thinking of you and wishing you well for the twenty fifth!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Glad he survived Grace.
    A beautiful looking bird.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Fantastic post~ AMAZING photographs... Thank you for sharing! Love the little tilt of the head~

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm very glad he is OK! But what a wonderful opportunity to get close-up photos :-) A beautiful bird....I just love all the woodpeckers.

    ReplyDelete
  32. wow!! what a gorgeous bird!! GREAT shots!

    i was sure happy to see that he recovered...and made it to a nearby tree...because i thought his left foot looked a little curled up in the pictures!! guess he was a little stunned...poor birdie! but it had a happy ending! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I have a new appreciation for this bird...especially those remarkable tail feathers. Love the happy ending. Great pictures. BarrytheBirder

    ReplyDelete
  34. These are great photos, I wish we had many of the birds you do in my area. I will have to keep checking back in. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thanks for the help with I.D. on this colorful (and loud) guy. I bet I'll know one now if I see him.

    ReplyDelete