Saturday, March 17, 2012

~~"Bohemian Waxwings"~~

Well I am still miserable ...coughing away, and from all those well meaning people who had this (what every it is)say that the cough hangs on for 3 to 4 weeks JOY-O-JOY ...my cat looks at me like "when are you going to cough up that hairball for heavens sake" (sorry to anyone that upsets) : }
My camera is gathering some dust and I haven't really felt like doing much about it as yet,but it still works, just not dependable !!    With my luck this will be the time the Snowy Owls lands on my deck....lol...."only in my dreams"!!
I have finally felt like going through some of the photos that I took about 2 weeks ago ....I can't believe that I would forget to post these of the Bohemian Waxwing !!

The day I took these I could hear there song  from my house, and knew they
weren't far away!!  I started out looking for them, and
found them less then 1/8th of a mile away !!

Like a gang of masked bandits, at least 50 strong, they raided this tree
and stripped it of its fruit in no time !!

Even cleaned up the fallen ones!!
   



Bohemian Waxwings can be identified from the Cedar Waxwings
by the reddish-rusty under tail color...whereas the Cedar has a white under tail!!

Seems they are quite social, because there was a large number of Robins with them!!

 











Love that look!!

I did a post on January 28  "Cedar Waxwings" if you want to
see a comparison to the Bohemian!!

Have a great Sunday!!

33 comments:

  1. Hi Grace. If it helps any, I know someone who only coughed for a couple of days when they got what ever it is. Maybe you can be like them.
    Our troupe of Cedar Waxwings comes through here from time to time. I've never seen a Bohemian.
    I thought I should warn you that the warm weather has brought the snakes out at Blue Jay Barrens. Don't want you to be startled if you come visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, nice Waxwing GG. I haven't seen any of our occasional winter visitors this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry to hear you're sick...I've been lucky and no illnesses for a while now..KNOCK ON WOOD
    OHHHH love these bohemians you got some great shots of them. I just discovered via others blogs, ebird and so Ive been busy plugging in alllll my past sightings. ITS gonna take a long time for me to ever get it up to date but it seems like a way to keep with what bird you saw and when without digging thru old books and checklists!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are beautiful,silky looking birds. Hope you feel better real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. they are so gorgeous! lucky you! (sorry you're still sick, tho!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear your still hacking away. Last year I had a nagging cough that just would not go away then one day I noticed I wasnt coughing any more . Kind of tuff to take photos when a cough attack hits just imaging lol ! Your photos are awesome by the way, we have these little guys here as well ! Have a good day and hope you get better soon !

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI Steve...thanks, and for the warning ..I appreciate that thought of me, and my snake fright..hahaha!!

    Hey Roy...Thanks so much..much appreciated!!


    Hi Sondra...I usually don't get these things but..: }
    Thanks they are beautiful ....I started the ebird listing 2 months ago have fun with it!!


    Thanks alot Ruth!!!


    Thanks Teresa : }


    Thanks Elaine...yes I have had that happen to ..hope it's tomorrow lol!!: }

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely shots of the Waxwing Grace.

    Sadly, not many reports of this beautiful bird visiting us on our side of the pond this winter!

    Get well soon...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely series! We get these guys here, but I haven't seen any in my yard. I don't have the right bait, but every time I say something about planting a chokecherry tree hubby objects. They are messy, but they do attract the Bohemians. I just need to find a spot for one that is out of the way. Hope you get over your cough soon--just go ahead and cough up that hairball if that's what it takes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great photos Grace of a great bird! We haven`t had any of these this winter, although last year you couldn`t move for them! Hopefully they will have a good breeding year and we will get some more later in the year.
    Hope you feel better soon.
    J
    Follow me at HEDGELAND TALES

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have gone green, totally green with envy. I love waxwings, they are one of my favourite birds.
    So many Grace, how wonderful, tku for sharing them with me.

    I do so hope you are feeling better soon. Are you resting, knowing you probably not.
    Do take good care of yourself :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. These photographs are wonderful....and thanks for giving information about them as I a new bird watcher...I love when all of you who know your birds help us new ones out....Great fun...

    That face in the last picture is so cute......

    I hope you are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Trevor...I'm trying!! : }


    Elaine..thanks..could one of those tree just come up by accident ; }
    Ya the hairball would be nice to get rid off lol.!!


    Cheryl...you are to cute lol..yesterday was the day to go green ; }
    Thanks and for the get well wishes too!!


    Nancy ..do you know the saying getting old is for the birds lol..
    well your learning ; }
    Thanks so much and for the well wishes!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Trevor...I'm trying!! : }


    Elaine..thanks..could one of those tree just come up by accident ; }
    Ya the hairball would be nice to get rid off lol.!!


    Cheryl...you are to cute lol..yesterday was the day to go green ; }
    Thanks and for the get well wishes too!!


    Nancy ..do you know the saying getting old is for the birds lol..
    well your learning ; }
    Thanks so much and for the well wishes!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bohemian Waxwings will always be one of my favorite species! They show up in the Atlantic Maritimes once in a blue moon!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So sorry you are still unwell, Grace, I do hope you improve very soon.

    The Bohemian Waxwings are a very sore point with me, after all I was the one and only person not to see even one here last Winter!! :-( -:( Your photos are lovely though, how could you nearly forget you had them!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry to hear your not feeling to good Grace... take care of yourself.

    Waxwings are lovely birds to see and we had thousands during our cold winter 2010/11... and not one during this mild winter.

    A big hug from me xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your int same boat as me luvvy bin hacking away myself for a few weeks, can't seem to shift it. As to the berry rustlers first come first served as they say..Waste not want not. Good health to ya soon

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hope you feel much better very soon. It is never fun to be sick. :((( Love your bird images. We look forward to being home where we can hear the birds sing every morning.

    Happy Sunday,
    Lois

    ReplyDelete
  20. sorry you are still sick but you are making good use of your time ;)

    i love the mohawk and the white eye liner!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. i forgot to say my lilacs are not in bloom. those are from the farmers market, they are in a vase!!

    i will be bragging when mine do bloom :))))

    ReplyDelete
  22. The Bohemian Waxwings is so beautiful, they gives me warmth inside. They come here in the depth of winter, I love them. I suspect you have that feeling as well, brilliant images.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gee whiz you must be really, really sick if you forgot to post about Bohemians! Awesome.

    My hubby finally coughed up his furball.... hope you do, too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks Karen...lovely aren't they!! : }


    Jan...lol...sorry about that maybe next year!!! Thanks you so much!!


    Thanks Andrew : }}


    Hi Deb..sorry you got the bug to...thanks for coming by!!! : }


    Thanks Lois... : }


    Thanks so much Kerri : }


    Thanks Debbie...lol! ; }


    Hi Bob..yes they are fabulous ...I do get that feeling ..Thanks!!: }


    Marianne ..lol..thanks so much!! : }}


    Animesh..thanks..and for coming by my post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Splendid photos Grace. I love these birds but have rarely ever seen them, so it's lovely to see them in shots such as these. Hope you'll be feeling better real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  26. wow grace! those are gorgeous birds! i've never seen ANY type of waxwing in person!! and you have BOTH the cedar AND bohemian!! lucky you! GREAT shots!!

    those darn coughs...they tend to linger...ugh! hope you feel better soon. (have you ever tried...ginger tea with a little honey?) buy a piece of fresh ginger, slice a little & steep in almost bubbling water...then strain into your mug...add honey...

    take care! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great shots of the Waxwings Grace - some dodgy camera hey? First, to answer your question, those darned birds can certainly poop and handling them often makes them poop even more! the worst are (as you might guess) Starlings. But the pleasure of handling birds at close quarters outweighs the mess, and anyway Sue quite enjoys washing my undies and socks. Sorry about the cough, and never mind the ginger tea with honey just substitute the ginger with whiskey and take a good swig or two just before hitting the sack. It may not clear the cough but boy do you get a good night's sleep.
    Now here's a good one - I'd quite like a Waxwing to poop on me - only ever handled one!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I hope you are feeling much better real soon! Lovely photos of the waxwings, a favorite bird of mine. This morning I saw and heard a flock of Canada geese headed north. Sprin's here!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Grace, seems that cough is taking its time in leaving. Hope it doesn't prevent you from having the cataract surgery this week. The Bohemian waxwings are quite the colorful bird. I have never seen any in our area.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Dear Grace, I'm sorry you are not well!
    I will keep you in prayer.
    You'll be wanting to get outside and snap more of those pretty Springtime birds so I hope you recover quickly, my friend :-)
    lots of love..Trish

    ReplyDelete
  31. LOL...the idea of you coughing up a hairball, but I know what you mean about that sort of cough. Not fun! Get well soon! These are gorgeous. I only occasionally see the Cedar Waxwings but never a Bohemian one.

    ReplyDelete