Thanks you all so much for your heartfelt wishes, thoughts, prayers, hugs, and concerns!!
You all mean so much to me "great network of friends"even if I have not meet anyone personally !!
On a happy note today ...Since I haven't been getting out to take any photo's I have found a couple from last months stash I thought would be perfect for today, because they made me laugh!!
I am not one to do the Skywatch Friday, BWW, and etc, but one of my good blogger friends at "The Frog and the Penguinn does "Friday's Funnies', and she has had some great ones. "Hope you don't mind me using your Friday this once B." !!
When I was visiting my family last month, my oldest sister and I took a day trip to see our only living Aunt!
While traveling down Rt.1 I could see in the distance this big tree near the edge of the road and it had a strange look to it !! As we got near I said "stop the car" I need to get a picture of this!!
There is a sign on the tree that I didn't get a good shot of that read's..
"This is the shoe tree"
This is a hugh tall Maple, and there are some high on the top, even a pair
"high" heels .. hahaha!!
My sister said this has been going on for a few years.. people keep flinging there old
shoes on the tree! She didn't know how it got started!!
So if your ever on Rt.1 near the Aroostook and Washington County line,
and your shoes give out, just stop by ..you may find a better pair then your's
and you can make a trade!! ; }
While writing this post I was thinking "shoe tree"..hmmm I remember a shoe tree
a wooden form like thing that my dad kept in his good shoes, so I googled that
sure enough I was right , but what I also found is that this flinging shoes on a tree is not
anything new ...they are found on many highways across America
Hmmm.. I guess I am behind the times ; }...even the Indians put there moccasins in trees
thinking it would bring good luck ...Wonder how that worked out..lol
There are so many sites you can go to for more information some funnnnny : }
and some sad!!
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoe_tossing is one... or just google shoe tossing !!
Hope you had a good laugh,and a good weekend!!
i think i'd rather see them in a tree like that than flung over electric lines in the city. :)
ReplyDeleteglad your sis is doing well! :)
Hi Teresa...lol.for sure!! : }}
ReplyDeleteThanks!!
Glad sis is on the mend.
ReplyDeleteKeep your shoes. Then bin them...........look what happened to the Indians.
Mad as a box of frogs the lot of you!
Wow, Can you go back and check if there's any size 9's please Grace, I need a new pair!...not high heels though...lol
ReplyDeleteI guess people are just trying to save their soles!...Sorry!!...[;o)
Grammie dear, no wonder your sister had a blockage in the aorta if she had just left her husband. The blood system is about joy in our life and her's had a severe blockage. So glad the emergency surgery went well and she is mending. I have two replaced valves and one that is inoperable _ 3 hear surgeries to date and am again going to see my sister - 8hrs by train - next week. She had a malignant brain tumour partly removed and is now having a dreadful course of 6 weeks of radiation and chemo therapy. The prognosis isn't that hot either. Meanwhile I am leaving my old Prof at home alone with only his dementia for company.
ReplyDeleteHappy days . . .
Over here in England Ive seen quite a few cable lines with pairs of trainers dangling off them. Not that innocent a reason though... The word on the street is that its a sign that a drug dealer is operating in the vicinity. Don't know if there is any truth to it though
ReplyDeleteI laughed. It is funny what people do.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad your sister is doing much better. Thanks for the heads up about the shoe tree. I'm up that way often, however not on Rt. 1. I'll make it a priority to go see! ~karen
ReplyDeleteLove the shoe tree. You made my day!!!
ReplyDeleteGrace this is a lovely post... It's great to hear your sister is hopefully on the men.
ReplyDeleteYour shoe tree is fantastic to see.
Google Clootie Well.
I have seen quite a few trees with rags hanging from them during my trips to Scotland.
Take care xx
There is a huge "shoe tree" (a cottonwood) on Highway 50 out in the middle of nowhere in the desert of Nevada. Beneath it is a huge pile of shoes that didn't make the toss. I have it on my blog but it is buried years back and I'd never locate it. Like you though, I thought this was like the only one there was. But I've since come across another somewhere and now here you have one back east. So we learn more every day and what we take for unique is anything but that. Best wishes to your sister.
ReplyDeletei have seen these before and find them so odd....i just don't get it!
ReplyDeletearound here, i see them hanging from wires and thery are often not that old. many peeps don't have shoes, couldn't they be put to better use.
well....i don't want to be a "flat tire" as my husband sometimes calls me but i always think that way!! maybe it comes from doing without as a child!!
good news about your precious sister!!
Oh Adrian..you are a hoot.lol!!
ReplyDeleteThanks much my friend!!
Hi Trevor...there must be a size 9 on there somewhere...no heels per requested..lol!!
Save there souls..hahaha!!
Thanks !!
HI Arija...Oh life is full of ups and downs ..I say it is a good thing we don't know what tomorrow brings!!
Thanks!!
Hi Deb..nice to see your still out there : }
I think I have heard that same thing, but not sure where...
Thanks nice to hear from you!!
Hi Bob ...Glad you got a laugh..people are good sublects for humor ..: }
Hi Karen...your welcome lol..there is one in N.H. I read!!
Thanks
Hi Muffy...that's great..Glad you liked!!
Hi Andrew..thanks for your kind words about my sister!
I will look up the site...sound interesting : }
Thanks
Hi John ..the one on Highway 50 made it on many sites I looked at : } and so many more !
This turned out to be quite interesting lol!!
Thanks ...happy travels!!
Hi Debbie...Ya I get what you are saying...there always seems to be something...a waste..what can you do!!
ReplyDeleteIt's not like a flat tire..you just can't change it !! lol
Thanks!!
I wouldn't be surprised to find a shoe tree in my stuff in the basement. I know I used to have some. Great shots here.
ReplyDeleteGrace-- its Horrid..lol
ReplyDeleteSO Happy your sis is on the mend..when she gets out take her to toss out that OLD shoe leather and get a new pair. Have a great weekend..
Thats good news about your SIster GG.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad there was a sign on the tree otherwise I would never have known it was called that.{:)
Hi Scott..You should dig them out they will be antiques soon.; }
ReplyDeleteThanks!!
Hi Sondra...ya that will be nice for her "out with the old and in with the new" got Ya!! lol
Thanks!!
Hey Roy...thanks ..it is good news!!
Now you are being mouthy ; }..lol!!
Good news about your sister Grace.
ReplyDeleteWe've a few politicians here that would look good hanging from trees.
So glad to hear your little sis is on the mend.
ReplyDeleteThat shoe tree is too funny. Made me laugh.. and I love to laugh!
Have a wonderful weekend!
((i'm working my way backwards here...i didn't know about your sister...but i'm glad she's recovering...healing...))
ReplyDeletei see sneakers hanging from high wires...but never from a tree!! i love it!! the shoe tree! maybe i'll have to consider doing this with my old worn out shoes from now on...a good luck shoe tree out back might be just the thing our yard needs!!
i remember those old wooden shoe trees...my dad & brother had a pair. in fact i have my brother's in my possession...maybe i'll use them to 'christen' my tree!! :)
I am happy to hear your sister is out of the hospital and doing better. It's hard for people to realize they need to slow down while recuperating. My father-in-law is already trying to do too much after his heart surgery, but fortunately there are plenty of people around to remind him and to do the things he wants done, so he is delegating ;)
ReplyDeleteYour shoe tree pictures are a hoot. I have never heard of this before. I've seen a pair of sneakers tossed over a telephone line occasionally but never on trees before.
Have A Very Happy Thanksgiving!
I've seen this before, too and always think it is so weird but also cool. I'm glad you stopped for a shot! I'm going backwards catching up so I didn't know about your sister. Glad she is mending. Happy Thanksgiving!
ReplyDeleteHi Grace, we we're so glad to read that your baby sis is out of the hospital and do hope she continues to mend from both the physical and emotional pains. And, certainly flattery is wonderful and glad you posted a fabulous Friday Funny as I have been running behind and didn't get to one. Thanks for filling in!
ReplyDeleteI am so happy tho hear your sister is doing better. I will keep her in my prayers for a complete recovery. I think the shoe tree is neat and much better than seeing the shoe hanging on the electric wire. Have a great week and have a Happy Thanksgiving.
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear your sister is doing better. And I also agree with others, better on the tree instead of the wires. On ski slopes, it's not unusual to see bras and underwear flung on a designated tree. I think I'll keep mine!
ReplyDeleteGrammie G, I had not seen or heard of this tree or this practice! I have seen shoes hanging from utility wires. does that count? I wonder if that is why people fling them up there...for good luck? Anyway, I will have to read down to see what is up with your sister, but I hope all is well now. Sorry I missed out on all of this. It is nice to have virtual friends, isn't it?
ReplyDeleteSo pleased to read that your sister is on the mend. Hope you are feeling better as well. I forgot to mention in my first comment that I loved all of the photos in it. Just beautiful. Those photos are healing in themselves. I think that is why I like taking photos, sometimes the photo expresses my feelings. Take care.
ReplyDeleteSo glad your sister is doing much better. What a strange series of events led to the discovery that she needed emergency heart surgery!
ReplyDeleteI remember seeing a shoe tree featured on a news show once, but I didn't know we had one in Maine. It's rather cute, I think.
I imagine you're all set for a White Thanksgiving. We got a foot or so of the heavy, wet variety here. Happy Thanksgiving!
Hi Grace, that tree gave me a big laugh but I hope the idea doesn't catch on with other items of clothing - hey where are you going? So pleased your sister is a little better and that "do as she is supposed to" refers to you too.
ReplyDeleteYou just gotta love it. It's kind of neat.
ReplyDelete