I made the trip with 3 women I have know for years, one of which is my best friend...so you know 4 way conversations makes the time go fast ,and we where there!!
Great weekend with over 300 women from some of the New England States( Me., Mass.. N.H.. Conn. .Vt.. R.I.)!! Wonderful speaker, fun times laughing and talking with women you never meet before ,either while rocking in the rockers on the Hugh wrap around porch or at the indoor pool, walking ,or setting at the nice meals prepared with the women in mind...one thing missing... no sign of what I was hoping to see!!
I decided to take a walk around the walkways and trails to get some photos anyway!!
A small pond with a dam, plenty of roaring brooks carrying down melted snow water from the mountain near by, as it headed to the river a few miles away!! Makings of a few photos!!
And "YES" that is ice on the back side of the pond!!
Thought we left that back in Maine!!
Crystal clear water!!
Bench and bridge combination along one of the trails!!
Sound of rushing bubbling water is always relaxing!!
One of the many of the old rock walls that are all around!!
"YES" those white spots, snow!!
As I was headed back on another trail, something flew up right in
front of my face and of to the side . I was trying to follow to see what it was,
never thinking it would be a butterfly...after all, for heaven sake I haven't
even seen a twinge of spring yet!!
I twisted and turned trying to follow him and thought for sure he was going
to fly of before I could get a shot!!
He circled and landed about 10 ft away from me..click!!
What in the world .... it's a "Mourning Cloak" !!
It was a fairly nice day (50 degrees) hooded sweatshirt and vest kind if day!!
I wondered why he was out of hibernation so early!!
He was a little worse for ware around the edges,but
a real delightful surprise for me!!
Definitely Rejuvenating!!
Snippet:
The adult Mourning Cloak has the longest life span ( 10-11 months)
of any North American butterfly!!
Glad you had a nice time despite the lack of springtime treasures! The Morning Cloak was a good find, though, a harbinger of spring, to be sure! I've just ret'd to Mass. and the trees are just now showing little buds against the sky. Be patient!
ReplyDeleteYou may not have found the green you were looking for,but these pictures show some lovely scenes.The Mourning Cloak is the icing on the cake.
ReplyDeleteSounds like a wonderful time.
ReplyDeleteYour photos are fantastic. Have a great day !
Glad to see you're finally back. YES it is spring. I know because my Purple Martins have returned and are setting up housekeeping. Great Mourning Cloak. We have had some Frittleries and a Vicroy but that is all. AND some almost 80 degree days.
ReplyDeleteGlad you are starting to find spring up there.
Grenville
It sounds like a fun weekend with friends. And, the images are a real plus. Very nice. :)
ReplyDeleteHI Karen...thanks..good to hear from you...in Mass.now huh!!
ReplyDeleteHi Ruth...thanks so much!!
Hi CG...it was I great time..thanks so much!!
Hey Grenville..Glad to hear you getting settled into spring down there ...thanks for coming by!!
Hi Lois...Thank you very much...a good time was had by all!!
Hi grammie these picture's are beautiful , oh i could so do with a get away ..one day lol ... Im glad you had a lovley time though :-)
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful butterfly. I've never seen one of these. He obviously wanted you to take a picture of him,didn't he?
ReplyDeleteWe've had some beautiful spring days lately, but today is just plain COLD.
Hi Heidi...It would be nice for you to get away..unfortunately from my experience, it is only after the kids are grown,and you have some spare money that these things doable!!Thanks so
ReplyDeletemuch!!...Love to you and the family!!
Hi Jean...We are over the hump and it can only get better???? lol
Are the frogs and peeper singing your way, they have been here all week...they must be in southern Maine !!
Thanks you!!
You might not have found much spring but it sounds like you had a great time anyway. I've seen a couple of butterflies now but never close enough to get a picture or an I.D.
ReplyDeleteIt has remained pretty chilly around here ... especially as we've had wind almost every day. Brrrr.
300 ladies and no menfolk! What did you find to talk about Grammie G? Like the butterfly and what a great descriptive name, I guess that bit of sunshine got the blood sugars rising.
ReplyDeleteHi Cicero...I was nice to get away ...had a great time. Thanks!!
ReplyDeleteHi Phil...you know that answer to that one Phil... ; }
Thanks...have a great weekend!!
A lovely read and beautiful images (a lovely butterfly)It's good to spoil yourself now and again.
ReplyDeleteI know Spring is on the way--dont give up! What a fun thing to do--I know you had a blast---Ive taken vacations that were girls only and I've thought I would enjoy a retreat sometimes, waiting for a free one to fall in my lap~
ReplyDeleteGreat butterfly shot---Glad he sat for his portrait!!!
Hi Andrew...thanks so much...Yes I wish I could afford to do it more often!!
ReplyDeleteHave yourself a nice weekend!!
Hi Sondra..Yes...you are right, I did!!
My sense of humour seems to follow me where ever I go. haha!!
Thanks so much!!
Sounds like a good thing to go and do for a while GG.
ReplyDeleteLovely for you to see a Butterfly at last, the first of many I hope.
Hi Roy..Lovely of you say.. thanks!!
ReplyDeleteRemember last spring and summer I was having a hard time to see one!! : }}