Tuesday, April 19, 2011

" April 19th"..."It's About Time"

It seems...that spring is finally made it's presence know!!    Snow is nowhere to be seen from my view,  there may be a patch or two in the woods, but for the most part it is looking good!
There is always the possibility of some snow mix in a cold rain, but that I can deal with!!  Frosty mornings are another possibility, but the last few mornings  it has been 40 degrees when I get up so ..hey...it's all good for the moment. : }}
 I do have the most heart felt concern for those people who where hit with the vicious tornadoes this past week in N.C. Va.and etc. I have some blogger friends in some of those areas that have not posted and usually do so daily!!  I am so thankful for where I live!!

I have some photos that I have taken over the last week to give an idea how we are doing here in my neck of the woods !!
click photo's for closer viewing !!

"The Crocus"  really needs no introduction, as it is the much watched for
spring flower that I know off!!

I even like the way they look on a cloudy day
with there petal closed!!




A little more rain and couple sunny days and
the Daffodils will pop!!


Mr and Mrs Bluebird have been here for a couple of weeks!
Posing...is this our best side!!

Mr Bluebird still favoring last year "digs"!!
(darn branch in the way...guess things can't be perfect)

The next 6  are some of my famous" through the glass window photo "!!  :}} lol

Brown Headed Cowbird is here for the breeding season!!
They may lay up to 3 dozen eggs a season !!

I think they are very pretty, but they are not always well liked
because of there parenting skills, since they don't build a nest and just
lay there eggs in other birds nest leaving all the work of hatching and
feeding to the host birds, who's young often don't survive because
of the supply and demand of  feeding!!

"The Northern Mockingbird,"
(one of my favorite's)
arrived this past week also, another bird not favored by all the
human race, mainly because of  his" repertoire" of bird calls
at the crack of dawn, and the kicker is the far into the late evening,
and sometimes I have heard him in the middle of the night..."when 
do they sleep"!! 

Thinking that the Mockingbird might enjoy some fruit I generously shared
a strawberry  and a few cranberries with him!!
Obviously the Red Squirrel has a taste for fruit..
keep that in mind if you have a strawberry patch in your garden!!
I think he is do darn cute eating that in his little paws!!


"Yum~Yum "

Quick one of this fellow, whom I have never seen before!!
After talking with my daughter, who lives and hour away,
she had the same birds in here yard and identified it
as a Palm Warbler!
I wonder if he always comes back near Palm  Sunday!!


Other things to report are that the Peepers and Frogs have been in rare form in the past week, and sing me
to sleep every night .  It drives some of my neighbors crazy, but I can't get enough...open those windows..let spring come in!!
 As I was getting ready to post this I heard birds that made me check out the window, and sure enough the House Swallows are here checking out the houses !!
April the 19th???
It's about time!!

23 comments:

  1. Wonderful photos. We here in Southwestern Ontario Canada are having a spring thats full of all sorts right now, snow rain mix, rain, cold windy you name it. I am dieing to get out in my gardens , I have a post on my other blog about that.Yes mother nature is being cruel to some around the world thats for sure.
    Hope you have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely pictures of Spring. :)) So very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi E&K...I thought it was never going to happen, but I am not doing any betting on it either...anything is possible!!
    Hope you get some settled weather!!
    I've been doing a check list of what needs to be done outside eeeeks!!! That goes with spring I guess!!



    Hi Lois...thank you so very much!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you are so glad to have Spring come to visit---we have had some awesome weather a little muggy for the next couple then back to cooler tempts...we ate the first salad greens and green onions from our garden yesterday...Still too early for the tomatoes but soon--
    Your photos are very Springy and I had to wonder what bird you had there at the end...was about to run for my fieldguide but glad you got the ID I've never seen a Palm warbler...Guess I gotta travel North for that one!
    ENJOY like you said each and every moment of it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sondra...Oh dear~muggy~ I had forgotten that that goes along with the season..not my favorite weather!!
    Wow, first garden harvest....lovely!!
    If you get a chance look up the Palm Warbler, there are others...yellow, western, and etc.!!
    Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a lovely series of pictures.Spring is so exciting,with all the birds returning and flowers popping up.Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI Ruth...Thanks you so much...I will : }}

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great news to see Spring has arrived at yours.
    Beautiful images..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Andrew..Thank you so very much...
    about time!! : }

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful pictures of spring in your world, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for coming by and for your comment,.. and you are welcome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great spring photos and happy to hear it has arrived for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Grammie G, it's nice to see that spring is finally arriving in your part of Maine. ENjoyed the shots of that little squirrel eating the berries. I'll be sure to let Grenville know that he should watch his berry patch!

    ReplyDelete
  14. ...looks like spring really has sprung for you!! Thank goodness...
    Your little baby squirrel eating the strawberry is so cute! I saw a few Palm Warblers while I was in Florida in March...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks ONG I appreciate you stopping by and your comment!!

    Hi Beatrice...Thanks..glad you enjoyed, and yes tell Grenville to be on the lookout!!
    Haven't seen you post.. hope everything is ok.


    Hi Kelly...Thank goodness is right!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Things look fantastic there! What exciting spring events. We are ready for the sun to come back out here anytime now. :) I saw a male blackburnian warbler today and I was so excited. Such beautiful creatures!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi J&S...Thanks you guys....Warblers... there are so many didn't ones ..Blackburian..nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have cages over the strawberries ... but those are for the deer ... the squirrels can still manoeuver under the cages. Between Mingus, the birds and the squirrel(s), I only get the odd strawberry myself. Mingus also hogs any wild strawberries I pick.

    You've definitely got more colour around then we do here. We also have a few more patches of snow left, especially in the shady spots.

    ReplyDelete
  19. HI Cicero...I think you best buy them at the market.. hahaha!!
    My neighbors dog eats raspberrys of his bushes!!
    It will get better than we can complain about the heat!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very glad to see you have got some Spring at last GG.

    ReplyDelete
  21. April 19th, my birthday Grammie G. Is that why you took all those nice flower pics, just for me? I think you should have done a little spring cleaning on that Bluebird house though, having the poor things coming back to that untidy mess. Never mind, you can do it when you paint the porch.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey Phil...I'll have you know those Bluebirds love that house with what you call untidy mess ....last year they had two clutches...6 eggs the first time and 5 the second time, and all fledged.. so for that I'm taking back your birthday flowers. hahaha!!

    ReplyDelete