Wednesday, April 6, 2011

" The Almost Post"....Before The Storm!!

When my plan for a more spring looking post turned into a post right out of a mid-winters day, I set this one aside !!
Now that the snow on the area of my back lawn where I took the photos is bare again "yes" bare again , as in "no snow"  I will take a stab at posting it!!
Turkey's ,turkeys, everywhere...where they were all winter in that deep snow I don't know !!
Now that the snow is..or..was, and now is, gone again...it time to get this show on the road ...!!!
The  morning I took these photos " Big Tom" had his "Hen Harem " out showing them just how wonderful he is and how lucky they are to have him to be the Big Daddy to there little brood!!


"Big Daddy-Tom"
He is doing the mating dance in full breeding colors
claiming his territory!! 
"Showing off for his Hen's"
He has ten in his Harem!!

Tom and most of the Hens!


You may be wondering what in the world the
following photos have to do with Turkey's...and no its not dropping...: } !!

I would imaging that a lot of you have Moles in your area!!
 This is what you find in the spring, some pretty interesting 
designs once the snow melts off.
  I say that the Moles are down there
with there little rototiller noses turning my subsoil into topsoil
all winter long!! : }

I like the designs, but hate the mess!!
So one afternoon while out I kicked down the mounds in an area
with my foot !
Now enters the turkey again!!
One of the girls decided she was going to take a dust
bath in the dried dirt that I had kicked over
Now you would have thought Tom would
have been impressed??...Not!!

As she rolled around in the dirt he paced back and forth 
 from her to the group he had moving on!!

Ahhh, the "defiant one"...I love it !!
She was so comical with the dust flying and feathers fluffing !!
She finally gave him a self satisfied look and trotted
of to join the others!!


15 comments:

  1. Imagine, having turkeys trotting through your yard ... and bathing!!!! None here. Still some snow in my back yard ... snow pellets coming down the last 3 days ... typical spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post and photos. We get moles, Raccoons, squirels, Skunks, birds you name it diging and making a mess of our lawns but hey thats nature lol. Have a great day !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't help but think of Thanksgiving dinner. ;)

    Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Tom is a beauty.The ladies had better be impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very fun! I actually hate to see the males close up when they are showing off...I don't like how their horn goes all blobby...Eewww! The dust bath is the best : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cicero...Its not much better here. Today was sunny and got up to 45F!!

    Hi CG...Thanks....It is the way it is nature at it's best ...entertaining and annoying!!


    Hi Lois....lol thanks so much!!


    Hi Ruth...They seemed to be except for that one bather.. lol Thanks!


    Hi Jeannie...Ya I know what you mean Eewww!!
    Thanks from the bather!!
    I have to call you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Grammie
    Tom is a beautifully coloured bird!
    A very impressive bloke indeed lol!!
    We don't get moles here in Australia, but I know they can be a bit of a pest.
    Blessings..Trish

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely post GG. Tom is definitely is a big show off.
    Your moles are very artistic as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. HI Trish...Thanks so much ...aren't you luck, but I sure there is something there to be a
    pest. lol


    Hey Roy...thanks...Tom is a lot like other male species lol : }}

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Grace, Tom is a handsome chap. I love the fact you have turkeys around. I always forget you are in turkey country.
    The dirt bath was such fun. That would be me, if I was a turkey. I have always liked being the odd one out!! You know, different from the other girls.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Something or someone spurred you into action there GG with those turkey shots and no snow to be seen. Poor little turkeys, i hope you haven't got designs on those little creature pets later in the year? If so shame on you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. HI Cheryl...aaaaawwwh...I would be the defiant one to!!! lol
    We have some big flocks here ..I have counted over 40 in a flock in the fall!!


    Hey Phil....that was before it snowed.. don't pick on me Phil..!!
    Hey those young ones are so comical when they are out in the hay field grazing with Mom..do think I would do that!! Shame on you!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beauty!!! I saw one lone male yesterday trotting down the road we wondered why he is alone!! Love the dust bath shots too...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sondra..Thanks...they are big guys aren't they !!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love that big old Tom turkey with his harem :-) They didn't look much interested in his displays. We have moles here and they have tunneled across the front yard....something for me to trip over, just what I needed. I think the neighbor has got someone trying to catch them.

    ReplyDelete