Wednesday, August 4, 2010

"FROGS " AND " WINGS" AND OTHER THINGS!!

We had a nice cool down weather wise in the past week ...cool nights (55to 60) and nice dry day sunny days (75 to 80) ..my kind of weather but things have changed ....95 degrees as I write and high hummidity!!! This is for the rest of this week and then cool Canadian air is to filter down over the weekend !!
I took a walk out to the end of my property on one of those cool evening in my bare feet on  the cool grass ..it just felt so good !!!  I was accompanied by hundreds of those large dragonflies darting all around
me....I felt like a kid again !!!
  

These frogs are just the" Green Frog"!!  Very common in Me.but I think there great!!


They have a large external eardrum!!


Hey there" Get your foot of my head "; I'm not your door mat!!


" I hope she cannot see me"!!
These frogs live in a little fish pond just under my bedroom window....and there are many more in there of all sizes!!    It is pretty dry and they love my 4x5ft ...gradually incline of 1ft to 2ft deep pond..they don't care just as long as it wet and I get to hear them croak at night !!


"Come on " right in my view and on my screen no less!!

Hawk Moth!!



Someone will tell me?





The reason they call this plant Bee Balm!! ; }

Tomato Horn Worm!!
The white are cocoons layed by the predatory Braconid Wasp!!

He will not eat my tomatoes if I can help it!!


They are very hunger little buggers !!!
  They can eat the whole side of a tomato over night !!
Also many leaves!!

These are mine too!!  Back of !!


Since the time that  I posted this  post I have found that what I referred to as the Hawk Moth is not ....it is actually the Clear Winged Hummingbird Moth!!

16 comments:

  1. "Ribbit!"

    That's frog for "stop taking my picture before I stick my tongue on the lens!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. you should be a wildlife photographer!! You take the best pictures!! thanks for you encouraging words.. thanks for being a friend! have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know about in your neck of the woods but here one sure doesn't see kids run around bare foot anymore. We were just talking about this. We couldn't wait to get our feet toughened up when I was a young thing. I read in a reflexology book that it going bare foot is nature's way of doing reflexology ... for free.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your tomatoes GG. The butterfly looks like a Fritillary of some kind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no! If you have the horn worms, we're soon to see them in our garden : ( Rick was just saying it's that time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The frogs really like your little pond. Beautiful flowers. The hawk moth is a Hummingbird Clearwing and the butterfly is an Atlantis Fritillary. Glad to see you've got some butterflies around now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Renee'... thanks for the heads up!! Ribbit!!

    Thanks Tracey; but I wouldn't go that far on the photography think!!
    Right back at you friend!!

    Hi Cicero; No you can't go barefoot just anywhere now!!..but at home I go barefoot alot ...free reflexology as you say!!

    Hey Roy....nice ones aren't they...I cannot wait for them to get ripe!!
    Fritillary; I'll have to check that out...thanks!!

    Hey Jean ....yup.. there out but no where near as bad as last year so far!!!

    Hey Steve...Thanks for the info....yes seeing more butterflies now !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grammie, your writings are a joy, they really are. I would love to have a cup of tea and chat with you.....

    I love frogs....your images are lovely and capture the very essence of these often misunderstood creatures.

    At last, you have your butterflies on blooms photographs, and they are wonderful. I garden full of butterflies is the best.
    The moth is exquisite, I love it's wings.....they look like windows.

    Walking barefoot, ah delightful, I am a barefoot walker. You are still a child, you have not lost the spirit of your inner child, long may it last my friend......

    Hope the tomatoes survive!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Cheryl...I would love also to sit and have a cup of tea and chat with you too!!
    Thank you for your gracious comments...you are to kind!!
    Yes butterflies to go with my blooms..I am excited about that!!
    Walking barefoot..may the inner spirit last long for you to my friend!! : }

    ReplyDelete
  10. Last night I went out in my barefeet to see if I could spot the Northern Lights. I was reminded of all the days as a child I would run around barefoot...and still do as much as possible. Your photos are amazing. Our backyard has had many dragonflies in it lately, just swirling and swirling around...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your frogs! That first shot is just terrific! I seldom see a frog. What you call a Hawk Moth is what I call a Hummingbird moth. I assume they are the same thing. That caterpillar with all the white cocoons is new to me...weird! Save those tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE the Green frog. Wish they hung out in my little ponds! And your Hawk moth rocks, too. Aren't they cool? I had seen pics on the net of those wasp eggs on the Horn worms. I wish I had seen that! I'd rather have Horn worms and predatory wasps than tomatoes, to tell you the truth. I can get 'matos at the Farmer's market but not those great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Cheryl...just checked comments seen yours!!
    I looked to see if I could see the Nothern Lights to : }...but I could not see them!! Yah....barefoot as long as possible then it snows..so I take avantage of it!!
    Thanks for stopping by!!

    Hi Mary thanks...just noticed your comment to!!
    I glad you like my froggies!!
    I can send you a wierd caterpillar if you'd like ; }

    Robin...those Horn worms give me the willy's...they are beautiful but some get to be 2 inches long and..da...yah...they do make a good subject to shot...with a camera that is..; }
    Thanks...have a good rest of your weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Renee is too funny, eh? And I love the Fritillary. I've just had a few in my gardens too. They make such beautiful subject with Liatris, Bee Balm, uh, uh...........everything! Don't they? BTW, Hawk moths have pink on the forewings and are usually a dusk critter, not middle of the day.
    Been up on the roof staining our deck.....productive and thankfully a nice sea breeze. We've had to keep shooing away a Herring gull that eats our cat's food, sits on the roof and then lands in teh pool! And all that while I"M working! The bumb!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have such a lovely, deep appreciation of nature. All the critters who visit your property must know they're loved. I've seen a lot of dragonflies lately, too. You're right about not killing the hornworm with the larvae on it. The larvae will do the killing for you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Jean ....yes anybody who has the hornworm problem would like nothing better to know that it has its enemys to!!

    ReplyDelete