Sunday, May 16, 2010

""RACCOON FAMILY UPDATE""

  If your read my post  ""Who is living in your front yard"" then you know I have a Mom raccoon living in the hollow of the apple tree in my front yard!!    I have gotten more pictures to show whats going on in there!!  


When I saw this one with that tiny little face right up next to Moms  "OH" so darn cute!!
Taken on May 11th!

 It was May 1st. when I first discovered her in the tree and May 3rd. when I saw the kit (baby) so I'm not sure when she had them but,  from the information I found they are born blind and deaf  until they are 18 to 24 days old!!  At birth they weigh 75gram and are 10cm long !!!!!  Good grief I can not even think of any thing to compare that too !!!!!


 Up until today (May 16)  I believed Mom had just the one baby but ---apparently I was wrong!!!!!!!!!!!


Here is a closer look !! Precious little things ----I wonder if there are still some hiding!!!

These little guys will be nursed until they are 6 to 9 weeks old then they will be strong enough to start heading out with Mom on her  nightly feeding forays!!!             I will try to get more picture ------but I would like to keep my hand !!!   She has not been aggressive ---yet---but as the babies get older ?????????????????

13 comments:

  1. So sweet! How wonderful that you had the good fortune in spotting the mom raccoon. I wonder if she will get upset as they get older, more protective of them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Two babies! Great shots, but be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think if the neighbors can be kept away, that the mother is thankful for the apple tree home and will maintain it for you while she is there. When the babies are weaned they will take off and you will have an empty nest again. We went through this in 2007 and learned a lot more about raccoons than I ever knew. I think you will enjoy them. If you want them to move on, when the babies are weaned you should stop feeding or putting out any food. That forces them to move on to find food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool!!1 Lucky you she was nice enough to let you get some pictures. I believe you were quite close but she might have understood you did not mean to harm her or her babies! This is a wonderful set of pictures and a very nice nature moment to witness!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi..Cheryl: They are sweet..but as Moms we know how protective we can be of our children!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jean.. Yes 2 babies and you thought it would be one: "surprise for me too" Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi..Abe..Only a few neighbors know they are there and have stopped putting out food for the birds which they love to get into. I am enjoying this experience, and have learned so much about them besides the mischief they can get into!!! Thanks for the advice and stopping by!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi..Bird Girl!! Thanks for your comments and stopping by!! Yes that first photo makes my heart melt!! Poster good idea!! I feel very blessed to experience this!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi..Chris!! She is about 3ft down in the tree. I slip the camera in the hole on the side.. put it on micro. She never see's me so that may keep her calm!! Thanks so much for your comments!! This is cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mom and the babies look pretty cozy down there. I read the book Rascal when I was a kid and then spent a lot of time trying to find a young raccoon I could raise as a pet. I guess I was pretty lucky I never found one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Doesn't that just get teh cute juices flowing! But, I think maybe those are Peregrines, don't you? Ha Ha Ha! Great shots and love the little baby birds.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are so adorable! I love baby anythings! I would probably be less upset with my raccoons if they were cute babies :-) The three that I have coming by each night are real pests as far as gleaning all the bird seed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful experience. The eyes do it for me....they are beautiful.

    We do not have racoons here.....tku for sharing these beautiful creatures with us.

    Re ragged robin.....great that you have drifts of them nearby....a wonderful sight. Sadly I do not see them in great numbers anymore. I believe we should keep our native wildflowers, hence why I scatter seeds.

    ReplyDelete