Thursday, March 12, 2015

~~~Strange Behavior~~~

I was looking out the window a few weeks ago and the Blue Jay was on top of one of my arbors in the garden (yes I know it needs painting) .  As I watched he started doing something odd, "picking at the chipped paint" ?
I went and got the camera and shot these photos through the window at the best angle I could, so they aren't great.  They are cropped a lot so you can see this behavior.
I mainly wanted to be able to pull them up close to see what he was really doing.
My thinking was perhaps there was insects under the paint. Then maybe the Nuthatch had tucked seeds under the loose paint for a later snack.



Here he is the "Blue Jay"
Searching out a good spot to pick at.


"I see a good piece" 


"Oh I got it".


"Ooop's darn I lost it"


Try again...".right there I see it"  


"Ooop's reached to far".


"Oh well'.. looks good right here.


"Yummy"


Yes he ate it!!!  Has anybody ever seen this behavior?

Since this I have seen a Jay picking paint chips,from the deck rail, and eating it !!!!

26 comments:

  1. That is very strange. It would be interesting to know if he actually eats the paint or some small insects hiding there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth...yes very strange, but those Jay's are characters : )

      Delete
  2. Great series of shots, never seen that before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some great action shots GG, especially the third from last.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Roy. It is a wonder the photo's are good at all, I was laughing so hard watching this action : )

      Delete
  4. Welcome back to blogland Grace...I'm guessing, on seeing the amount of snow you've had, that you've just emerged out of hibernation?
    Strange behaviour from the Jay...Corvids are renowned for being smart birds maybe it's just giving you a helping hand to strip off the old paint before you break out the brushes?...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trevor... Ya we have had our share of snow, and yes I have imaged from my cocoon, a bit early though. ; ) still cold!
      He has a lot of picking to do then : )

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Not sure about the zombie part, but strange : ) Thanks

      Delete
  6. And they blame ammo and sinkers for lead poisoning ;) lol (joke people)

    Check out this article on this exact same behavior - http://feederwatch.org/learn/articles/blue-jays-eating-house-paint/ - they claim it's for the calcium.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Na-Na.. Hey now that I never thought of that !!! I'll check that out : )

      Delete
  7. A great series! They are looking for calcium carbonate in the paint. They need calcium for egg laying and nesting. I put out crushed baked eggshells for them, and leave my paint alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen... It looks like I need to eat more eggs ; ). You say baked shells...could you let me know here how you do that ?? : )

      Delete
  8. Wonderful photos and post ! Yes ours do things like this all the time Blue Jays are notorious for eating just about anything they can some do it as roughage for their digestion like you see birds peck at sand and stones . Yes Karen is also correct about the calcium carbonate some Blue jays are known to steel others eggs out of the nests just for this purpose as well ! Thanks for sharing , have a good weekend !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elaine. Yes I do remember hearing that they eat others birds eggs it all makes since : )

      Delete
  9. Wow! These are nice pictures Grace. It is a strange behavior and I would love to know the ingredients of this paint! : ) Maybe it is salty???
    Blue Jays are so intelligent. I was watching them this winter as they were taking some peanuts we give them in the morning. Some of them hide them in the snow and come back for another one, just like squirrels do.
    Anyways, this is a very intriging post but lovely.
    I hope you are doing well and like me eager to see some green!
    Have a lovely weekend and take care.
    Louise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise glad you liked it. ... I am looking forward to some green too.. : )

      Delete
  10. love the shots with his wings spread!
    maybe he's clearing away the old paint so when spring comes you can repaint! ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura.. it's been awhile for both of us on here. Nice to see you pop up : )

      Delete
  11. Hi grammie, good to see you blogging, great photos, I don't remember ever seeing Bluejays here in Alaska, not to say they arn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John... I know that like the colder weather, I am surprised you don't have them there : )

      Delete
  12. Great series of shots Grace.

    I see a few people have beat me to it for the reason he's eating paint.
    I was going to say to do with digestion, like eating small stones/gravel. The calcium content makes a lot of sense though. Clever birds.

    ReplyDelete
  13. great photos of the jay and its behavior! How odd!

    ReplyDelete