Saturday, January 11, 2014

~~~Before The Snow Flew~~~ Part II

Continuing from yesterday:

After scoping out the river area I headed to my favorite trail in the big fields!!  

Just before I reached it's entrance a hawk flew out of the tall pines, and I wasn't able to get a decent shot, as he flew through wire and branches down toward the river!!


The best I was able to get, and figured I won't see him again
so went on my way!!


I walked down the trail for some distance without seeing a thing!!  I was getting a chill so headed back out to go home!!  
I wasn't really thinking photo opportunity as I picked up my speed, when wouldn't you know a hawk!!  It was like he just dropped out of the sky with great precision landing on it's prey!!


 "Red Tailed Hawk"
Not being prepared I snapped this one, out of focus!
At least that's my excuse I guess!!

I am at this point coming up hill, and the grasses along the edges where not giving me a good view
so what to heck, I just kept slowly edging myself  up hill, and clicking !!


He had his prey down , just waiting for it to die !!





Then he lifted his head, and it looks like he had a mouse!!


He put it back down, turned and gave me the evil eye look, 
and proceeded to finish of his dining!


He turned, walk away and took to the sky!!


I kept clicking away , and had about 40 shot's that went in the dumpster   : ) !!

Well it was an eventful walk after all , and the ground has been snow covered ever since!!



33 comments:

  1. well done Grace; what an exciting end to your walk that day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Handsome Hawk and great series of photos. Happy Sunday, Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talk about beiing in the right place at the right time! Glad you like your little pocket. Sorry it was such a tight fit. Not having a cell phone, it was difficiult to gauge. I looked up he dimensions and tried to make it a little bigger. Glad it's relaxed a bit now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen... Don't you love that when it happens!!
      I don't even remember if I gave you any dimensions did I ?
      Further reference : ) if you feeling ambitious (Nokia 820 windows phone ) lol!!

      Delete
  4. they look so haughty like we are certainly intruding on their world. i love that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not a good day for the mouse. Nice capture...both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did get a couple of good shots before he left GG.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow beautiful observation and very nice set of pictures... Don't have to be ashamed of the number of the pictures which went to the dumpster, I usually throw 100 pictures for 1 kept ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great series and I LOVE your header!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! This was an amazing opportunity and you cashed in on it for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth... Opportunities don't come along as often as we'd like, so you hope some come out decent!!

      Delete
  10. That's a great set of the hawk Grace. Must have been a special moment watching him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith... Yes it sure was, always love being in the right place at the right time!! : )

      Delete
  11. Nice work, Grace! That must have got your heart rate up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would not have been able to keep clicking away knowing that the hawk was devouring another creature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks B... Well it has taken me awhile to get okay with that!! They all have to eat!!

      Delete
  13. Grammie, this was actually a 2 hawk day for you! The first hawk is a red-tailed hawk. You can tell by the "belly band" and the dark leading edge to its wings, known as the patagial area. You can even see the red in its tail! Your second hawk is actually a juvenile Northern Harrier. They used to be called Marsh Hawks because they are often seen coursing low over fields and marshes. You can tell by its bigger head with an owlish facial disk. Notice that its back is grayish and it's body is a bit larger and has a different profile from a Red-tailed hawk. It also rocks on its wings when it is flying like a turkey vulture and when seen from the back n flight you will notice a white rump patch! The adult female is rusty brown and chocolate brown while the male is a striking gray, black and white!

    Nice shots and nice action sequence of the Harrier eating the mouse or vole!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie... I did have a had time figuring out the pattern around the eye area!! It just didn't look right , and other things on it either, but finally thought it must be the Red Tail !!

      Well now I might know what this other hawk I have been seeing is not one but the Harrier !!

      Thanks hope you have a safe move!!

      Delete
  14. Great shots Grace!! That sunshine sure looks good on his feathers...I know you'll be glad when Spring arrives. And yu may be right..I think my sis is ready to rest up at home.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Sondra... Spring yes...it has been a miserable winter to far!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kathie is spot on, first picture is a Red Tailed, no doubt. Second is a male Northern Harrier, and a striking one at that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. lot's of beauty in front of your lens!! so nice to see you today grace!!

    ReplyDelete