Upon returning home from my stay with the Grandson ,it was just before the turn to my road that I saw a American Bald Eagle sitting on the branch of a tree at the rivers edge , and of course, he flew of when the car slowed down so no chance for a photo!!
The next morning I was itching to just grab my camera, and head for the river to maybe get another chance of seeing the Bald Eagle, but I needed to get settle back in from being away!!
Just before noon I heard the weather forecast that we would be getting our first major snow storm of over a foot of snow!! The ground being bare I said to myself "this may be the last opportunity I will have for walking my favorite trail through the big fields and swing by the river" .. with my camera of course! Off I went !!
No luck at the river seeing the Eagle, but other opportunities for the snapping where about!!
The next morning I was itching to just grab my camera, and head for the river to maybe get another chance of seeing the Bald Eagle, but I needed to get settle back in from being away!!
Just before noon I heard the weather forecast that we would be getting our first major snow storm of over a foot of snow!! The ground being bare I said to myself "this may be the last opportunity I will have for walking my favorite trail through the big fields and swing by the river" .. with my camera of course! Off I went !!
No luck at the river seeing the Eagle, but other opportunities for the snapping where about!!
A Common Male Merganser broke of from a group of six,and came closer to where
I was ,so I was able to get a few closer shots of him!!
He didn't stay long,and of he and the others flew !!
Further down river was a group of Hooded Mergansers !
And yet another group of them!!
Sign of Beavers at work!!
The river now is solid ice : )!!
You survived your artic blast. It's a good job you got out when you did. Godd luck with the rest of your winter.
ReplyDeleteThanks Adrian... Yes I did but a lot of winter left!! : )
DeleteLovely photos! You've got to take your opportunities for photos when you can! The chores inside are always there.
ReplyDeleteWe had 40 below weather over Christmas, then while the rest of the country was shivering with the cold we had a spell of warm weather in the 20s, now today we're heading back down towards 40 below again. You know, we really wouldn't mind if you wanted to keep the frigid weather a wee bit longer.....
Thanks Elaine... Looks like we have revised temp's again !!
Delete42 above right now : ) !!
excellent Grace; you really do need to just drop everything some times to satisfy the soul; it does you so good. Lovely photos and I bet you really enjoyed that walk even though you didn't get to see the Bald Eagle again. Keep warm!
ReplyDeleteThanks Carole,,, Yes being able to walk on bare ground I prefer over exploring on snow shoes : )
DeleteWonderful series, Grace! I love both of the Mergansers. I would have chosen the walk over the housework..Have a happy weekend!
ReplyDeleteThanks Eileen... Glad you liked!! : )
DeleteThose birds are never very cooperative and fly off as soon as they see anyone.
ReplyDeleteTime for your snow shoes then.
Thanks Roy... Yup, got to dust of the snow shoes : )
DeleteI'll bet that was an invigorating walk!! Brrrrr! When I was telling my sister about you, my brother-in-law's ears perked up at the sound of your name. He recognized it from bird reports!! We'll HAVE to get together in the spring. Monmouth is not that far from you!!
ReplyDeleteThanks Karen...nice to be recognized for something just glad it is for a good thing!! : )
DeleteYes we have got to work out something 30 minutes away is to close to pass over!!
i've seen hoodies here but never that handsome common. very cool!
ReplyDeleteThanks Teresa... : )
DeleteWhat a nice walk
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by my post !! : )
DeletePretty captures!
ReplyDeleteand I LOVE those Icy berries in your header!!
Thanks Kerri ... Glad you like!! : )
DeleteOh,such lovely pictures.
ReplyDeleteThanks Ruth ... : )
DeleteSoon I will be there to see all these birds! You are whetting my birding appetite!
ReplyDelete