Thursday, December 20, 2012

~~~Thanksgiving Excursion Destination~~~

After twisting and winding coastal roads we are at our destination ...Cape Neddick Lighthouse, York Maine  known also as Nubble Light, because it sits on Nubble Island!!   Oddly the island is only 300 feet from the mainland , at it's closest point which is a extremely deep rocky gorge !!  It is only accessible by boat that leaves from a sandy beach to the left !!  In summer months you can go over with a tour guide !! 
 
Pristine and scenic against the beautiful blue sky!!

This is Boon Island Light , known as the tallest lighthouse in Maine,and 
New England  standing 133 feet tall!  The island itself is only 14 feet in elevation above 
sea level !!  Those are waves crashing on it ,not where
 I would want to be , especially in a storm "Yikes"!
I cropped this one up best I could ..it is 6 miles of shore !
I took this from were we where on Neddick!!

Back at Nubble Island waves dashing up on the rocks !!  You probably can't
make them out ,but tossing in the waves in front was many ducks!!

Got a few of them enough to make out that there was Common Eiders, and 
Harlequin's!!

Cropped Harlequin!

Cropped  Common Eider!

Ooop's I think the Kid is getting cold ; )
Looks like his teeth might be chattering : ) !

Just one more wave shot.. couldn't help myself!!


17 comments:

  1. A beautiful place. Good to see you had a happy time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Grace, Did you stay in the lighthouse? it looks a grand place to stay.
    Great images of the crashing waves..especially the last one.
    One thing though Grace...please buy that Grandson of yours some warm clothes, poor lad!!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every December I vow to go to Nubble Light to see the Christmas lights, but I have yet to do it. Maybe this year??? Kenneth Roberts wrote an excellent historical novel about a shipwreck on Boon Island.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful The wave action is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. very nice grace!! who cares if the kid is cold, we need to get our shot ;))))

    looks a lil choppy!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Maine coast is so alive and vibrant. Such lovely photos and I love the shots of your grandson and daughter . . . of you too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic photos ! I never knew that about the light house . Thanks for sharing with us ! Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  8. i could feel the cold air off those waves! pretty, though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great shots of both birds and nature, like all good. Nice blog you have.
    I wish you a Merry Christmas!

    Ottar

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautiful place to go, onward me hearties. I love the oceans, the sea and sea birds. Cheers Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A beautiful place to go, onward me hearties. I love the oceans, the sea and sea birds. Cheers Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH IVE BEEN HERE! My Mom and I took a trip up to Maine before I moved out of the North East...we did Niagara Falls, Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire and Mass. We stayed on US 1 right by the Ocean in York. Maine is a beautiful state!!! Great photos Grace...Love the ducks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Some beautiful shots Grace. Maine has a rugged and picturesque seascape, along with her many light houses. Your photos gave us proof of that. Thanks for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful (but chilly) photos. Sometimes I miss living near the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think we missed this place on our month long stay in Maine, maybe next trip. Crashing waves are always great to see, hard to photograph sometimes, but yours turned out well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful lighthouse and sea photos! Bet it is cold there right now! Brrrrr. Love the ducks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's a gorgeous lighthouse Grace, and you took a cracking picture of it too. I'm really gripped off by your Harlequin ducks though - one of the birds I would love to see. I guess I'll have to wait until next week when I come over and we can kill two birds with one stone - my lifer and you taking my photograph at that lighthouse.

    ReplyDelete