There is not a cloud to be seen, just bright blue skies ..yeah!!! It is way to wet to work in the garden's , and the slugs are loving it !! I did manage to get one of the lawns mowed and one of my potted container filled ....I can't believe it is mid June, and I am just able to get this done!!
From last Sunday until Tuesday we had 9 inch of rain,and the rest of the week ...who cares how much more after that unless you live on the edge of a lake or river...I hope it will be a better week ahead !! ; }
Since I haven't been able to get out without it raining for photos this week, I have some from the couple of weeks before to share!!
(House) ? Wren.... this is the first house that was filled to the top with sticks !!
Then I noticed they had left that one, and moved on to this one ...filled it with sticks!!!
You can tell how small he is against the size of the house ..a lot of stick hauling!! : }
A Chipping Sparrow who has a nest in a shrub right near this fence!!
A flock of Geese flew over my head while I was waiting on a sunset !!
Question Mark butterfly!!
Red Admiral Butterfly!!
Spring Azure??? I have tried to get close, for a open wing one, but not yet he is so tiny!
He is a lovely blue color with open wings!!!
The fields are full of Buttercups, and still are !! The rain hasn't totally destroyed then!!
The Chipping Sparrow again ...all puffed out defending his nest, when some other birds tried to land on " "HIS" ; } sitting place!!
(Not a great photos) ,but I caught up with the Wren's today, and saw just the tail end
of the little bugger...this house has been filled with twigs, and I think it is going to be home...!!
There is no sign of any Wrens at or around the other filled boxes !!
Do you clean then out....does anybody know what I should do????
so sad - you're getting too much rain, the gulf coast is flooding, midwest and west are crying for rain for crops and help w/ wildfires...
ReplyDeletei love the log birdhouse! too cool!
Wonderful collections of birds and butterflies, Grace! I have one of those crazy wrens filling up all my birdhouses. I believe it is scaring away any other bird from using a nest box. I would say empty any house that isn't being used. I also love the cute log birdhouse. I hope you have a happy week ahead and NO rain.
ReplyDeleteHow fun! You got some terrific images. Thanks for taking us along. :)
ReplyDeleteFantastic photos ! We have a Wren here as well who comes back every year . We named her Molly . Did you know Wrens have a real and a fake house they make a fake one first then make the real one and thats the one they occupy the most ! leave the houses as they use them to fake out prediters , they will clean them out usually but if they dont wait till the season for them is over then clean them out . This is what we do for Molly ! It has been sunny, hot and humid the past few days but rain is on the way for a bit si they say ! Hope you get sunny days so you can get out into your gardens ! Have a wonderful day !
ReplyDeleteI'm glad to hear you're finally drying out. We really need rain bad, here in northern Wisconsin. I water everynight. Maybe tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteWOW,that's too much rain.Great pictures here.
ReplyDeletei have so many bird houses and no one ever nests in them!! they nest everywhere else....
ReplyDeleteyou do have to clean them out (i have read, i have no personal experience).
i really like your bird houses, they are pretty & BUSY, BUSY!!!
i think those are carolina wrens but i'm not sure!!
Wow, the log birdhouse...!!
ReplyDeleteLovely photos of the Wrens going about their business Grace. The Chipping Sparrow looks pretty special to me as well.
ReplyDeleteWe have had nothing but rain in the U.K. since they announced that we were in drought! What has happened to the summer?!
J
Follow me at HEDGELAND TALES
Hi Grace,
ReplyDeleteDo not know if your wrens are the same as ours but male wrens will build several nests for the female, when she is ready to lay eggs she chooses the one she likes best :0) I would imagine that is what your wren is doing......
We still have rain.....cold and wet....yuk!! When will summer arrive.
Love your images and I am so glad the weather has turned around for you :)
You are a bad as we are, lots and lots of rain, but it's alright when it stops!!!!!!!!!!! Lovely pictures, but my fave, is the Chipping Sparrow, superb.
ReplyDeletewe've been having LOTS of rain here lately too...but for me...i love it...we need it badly! and the rain brings all kinds of mushrooms!!
ReplyDeletei LOVE all your birds and butterflies!!
and i LOVEloveLOVE the log birdhouse! what a great idea! i think i'll have to try and get sam to help me build one!!
have a great week Grace!
We are so so so so so so so in need of rain here. It's crazy, crazy dry. It looks like August here! Glad things are drying a bit for you. Life looks beautiful there!
ReplyDeleteFantastic images Grace... my weather is mostly rain at the moment.
ReplyDeleteIt's been throwing it down all day here...again! :-(
ReplyDeleteA lovely post and photos Grace. I love that little Chipping Sparrow especially the puffed up one, that's what you call attitude :-)
I was going to tell you exactly the same as Cheryl regarding the Wrens, she beat me to it!
Lovely to see the butterflies.
I have a crazy house wren here, too. I love watching them...especially once he begins bringing bugs home for the family. He filled up the wooden house and sat around singing by it, but I learned recently that he is really living in the gourd hanging in the maple tree. I think it is mostly to confuse predators and to discourage anyone else from living near by. I have a terrible time trying to clean the sticks out of the gourds when they are done with them. The gourd they lived in last year is not being used this year and I didn't clean it out. I might as well pitch it and buy some new ones. Sigh. Dear little crazy birds :-)
ReplyDeleteHEY Grace, we too are getting the rain...LOTS of it..all the flowers are getting a beating. Great Birds in your photos today...I imagine once they settle in one box you can clear out the others..
ReplyDeleteHope the sun returns soon :o(
I love these pictures Grace; nice shots of the wren and I like the little house, so cute...
ReplyDeleteBoth chipping sparrow pictures are great, nice compostition and I would say the same thing with your photo of the buttercups, great shot.
A very nice countryside series, if I can say...
Have a nice Tuesday, here the rain is pouring for the day but we should have sunshine for the rest of the week.
Louise
Hi Grace. Like others who replied I think it is the fact that the wren will build several nests until that picky female chooses the one SHE wants. Women huh!
ReplyDeleteHey we don't want any more of your rain either thanks we got plenty of our own as you may have seen on the telly. Floods in June, no fun.
Your Chipping Sparrow is a pretty smart chap - nice shots.
Love the log bird house...really sweet!!
ReplyDeleteOur wrens here sing heavenly..large voices for such teeny birds...
Love the chipping sparrow..great hairdo!!
Cheers!
Linda :o)
Looks like today's (Wednesday's) rain is just a short blip in a rather healthy spell of sunshine, that's such good news, isn't it? My garden seems to have survived the deluge of several days ago, and even my husband's little potato crop is finally poking through the ground. I might need to re-plant the cukes, though. They look quite anemic!
ReplyDeleteLovely series of photos! Seems like we've been having more rain than sun too and it's been a little cooler than normal for this time of year. It's supposed to be sunny and in the mid 70s through the weekend and next week. Of course the weathermen can't seem to get the next day right, so why would I believe a full week's forecast?
ReplyDeleteLots of rain here too, Grace. Really don't know the answer about whether or not the twigs should be cleared out.
ReplyDeleteThe Spring Azure is very like our Holly Blue GG. I think you should clean out nest boxes at the end of each season.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful series of nature photos Grace. I have yet to take any butterfly photos. I even went out specifically to get some yesterday. It was hot and humid and when I went to the special garden, I couldn't see even one fluttering around.
ReplyDeleteI love your little sparrow and wren shots Grace.
ReplyDeleteWe've had nothing but rain here too.
The world's weather has gone crazy.
hey....i am happy you are still alive!!
ReplyDeleteYour butterflies, buttercups, wrens and chipping sparrow are all adorable! Sorry, but I am no help on the nesting habits of birds!
ReplyDelete