It seems this was going on for a few days before I was aware of this activity going on by the pond just 400ft or more down the road from my home!!
While working outside I would occasionally hear what seemed to being slowing traffic and on occasion a horn tooting,but it was when a heavy load gravel truck, that was traveling quite fast, came to a complete stop in the road, that my curiosity was peeked!!
I found out from a neighbor that Mrs Mallard and her eight little ones, not big enough to fly. was crossing back and forth from the pond to the stream on the other side !!
Now mind you ....she had the perfect place to cross without using the road,because there is a very large culvert with just a trickle of water running through it that would have been safe ,but no she had her mind set...so over the road it was!!
Was able to get a photo,but a bit far of, so not to clear!!
Slowing traffic has stopped and no horn tooting going on ...no sight of the little family, so I hope
everybody survived, and have moved down to the river!!!

It was lucky those Mallards didn't see you driving towards them on your mower Grammie G as that might have scared them just a teeny bit. Hope they made the safety of the water where they can keep out of trouble. Speaking of which .........
ReplyDeleteOur mama and ducklings left Linda's pool and made it to the pond, but we haven't seen them since. Hope they're OK.
ReplyDeleteWhat a lot of excitement going on in your neighborhood. Hopefully the family got back to the pond and is having a wonderful summer!!! Great photos and I love them!!!
ReplyDeleteAdorable! Glad they made it across safely. :) The newspaper/compost is working great so far!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a proper family! High standards, sophisticated living...as we see in the choice of taking the road instead of the culvert. Got to take some lessons in 'Mallard' to understand what all the quacking is about. A really fun story. Thanks for sharing, Grammie G.
ReplyDeleteHey Phil...I noticed that they weren't around when I was mowing lol. When they heared that motor they probably headed for the tall reeds!!
ReplyDeleteThanks and have a good ringing week
Grace!!
Hi Jeannie...I think once they are big enough the probably head to the river where there is more food ,but that pond should provide enough hope they are all ok!!
Hey Tracey...I know it so exciting, but boring all at the same time hahaha
Thanks...hope everything is ok in the next town over!!
Hi J&S..thanks... like kids they are adorable when they are little and listen to Mom then they grow up....hahaha !!
Glad the paper is working !!
Hi Seasons...thanks , and I loved your comparison to the road, and culver choose...decisions...making the right one sometimes is not always the easy way,but the best hmmm.
Like you bit of humor to made me : }}!! Grace
Good for the Mallard Duck and babies, aren't they so proud!
ReplyDeleteHi Grace, Lovely captures.
ReplyDeleteThey are sooo sweet... and it looks sooo dangerous!! I hope they are all safe. I remember we had to wait in a line of traffic once for the same reason and mummy duck looked so haughty and proud :)
Hi Bob...thanks...yes proud indeed!!
ReplyDeleteHi Jan...my hope is that they got to the river which is not far!!
No signs that anything happened to them here!!
I have heard many stories about people and ducks crossing the road! lol
Thanks and have a good week...Grace
A lovely family...fingers crossed they all survived.
ReplyDeleteIt's great to hear that all the passing motors and trucks slowed down.
HI Andrew...Mom walked right there like she owned the road....lol and who could resist not stopping!!
ReplyDeleteThanks...Grace
SO gald to hear everyone is respecting her and giving her right of way! SHE deserves it--what a cute family!!
ReplyDeleteExcellent post and very funny... I hope you will finally manage to get into my new blog... I put some info how to do that on my old blog ;-)
ReplyDeleteBaby ducks are right up there on the cute-o-meter! Live long and prosper, ducklets!
ReplyDeleteHI Sondra...some travel pretty fast on this road,but those little cuties could stop a freight train!!
ReplyDeleteThanks..
Chris..thanks...I can get to read what you right,but not photos...I have window IE 9... I will keep trying!!
Jain...Precious little things aren't they...thanks!!
Lovely shots of the family.
ReplyDeleteI do hope they all managed to survive safely. It's good to know that the traffic slowed down for them.
HI Keith...I guess there are some people with compassion.
ReplyDeleteThanks my friend!!
Hey Grace, down our way that avenue would be called Duck Street. Some of our place names are older than me(yes, honestly)and before maps and the Internet it was a case of using a very descriptive name to describe where someplace was and what it looked like, hence Burned House Lane - the lane with the burned out house on it - no more barbies there then.
ReplyDeleteI loved this post...precious Mom and her little ones holding up traffic! I bet Mama took the road just so she could show off her little family!
ReplyDeleteI suspect Cheryl hit the nail on the head: Mama chose the roadway, not the culvert, in order to show off her babies. She sure looks about to burst with pride in these photos. CN't blame her, really.
ReplyDeleteHi Grace. That is definitely a mother with a mind of her own .. and no fear of any motorised devices!
ReplyDeleteHi Cheryl...long time ..hope ypur well!!
ReplyDeleteYour probably right : }...I didn't think of that I was more concerned about them getting hit!! Glad you enjoyed!! Thanks
Hi Jean Thanks..I believe your right about Cheryl : }}
Real cuties they are...she should be proud!!
HI Frank...thanks..they probably have more danger in the wild then getting hit in traffic!!
A very sweet family! I'm glad they didn't get run over. Ducks can pick some of the scariest places...geese, too.
ReplyDelete