Monday, June 20, 2011

Flowers~ Fields~ And ~Flying Things~~~~~~~~

This seems to be a very good spring for wild flowers.    The fields have been aglow with them!!
The Skippers, butterflies.and bees are in great abundance also, and busily going from one flower to the next working hard to collect as much of the sweet nectar for fulfilment of natures plan for them!!
Dragon and Damselflies skim over the tops of the fields in there endless search for food.
In the tall grass reeds near a small water hole there must be a Red winged Blackbirds nest , for the spot is visited often .  With a watchful eye, where they land bobbing on a swaying reed ,they slip down into the spot with food in there beeks!!
How fast Spring has slipped  away...so I am glad to have photos to share of what has been happening these last few weeks!!

Tiger Swallowtail!!









White Admiral


Autumn Olive Bush
and Mr Bumblebee!!





??


Skipper??

Ragged Robin...

Field of Ragged Robin ...just masses of it!! 
I read that it was introduced to the states from Scotland!!
Does someone know why it is Robin?..the Ragged I get!!


Viceroy!!


Field Bouquet....
Jan ..I found the field by my house full of the Yellow Rattle plant.
Do you see them in the photo!!

June 21
"Welcome Summer"







19 comments:

  1. Nice tour of the flowers and insects hanging round your gardens, Grammie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely shots here GG, that field of Ragged Robin is amazing and I really like the last shot with all the different colours. It looks like it should be on the front cover of a countryside and nature book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Beatrice...thanks...next time you come to Maine you need to stop by and I will give your a personal tour...except in winter lol!!


    Hey Roy....Oh thank you so much ..that is lovely for you to say, I went back and forth with that last one..wasn't sure if it was good enough to use!!
    Ragged Robin does very well here, and the field are just beautiful this year!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too funny :) I see them Grace, I see them... thank you, I shall never forget them now :)

    The only reference to the Robin part of the name I could find said that it is because the flower stands out at the beginning of Summer just as the bird does but since the Robin (well ours anyway) has a bright red breast I don't really see why it would be associated with a pink flower!

    Anyway, a thoroughly enjoyable post with lovely photos. The butterflies are so beautiful, I especially like that Viceroy, gorgeous! Butterflies are worryingly absent in my area at the moment.

    I agree with Roy that last photo could be on a book cover or greetings card.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jan...I don't think I will either : }
    Here I was thinking I had seen something new to, when all the while the field is full of them, but I must say that it has been a few years since the wild flowers have been so abundant!!
    So it makes me look good~~hahaha let's just say they are "bi-annual"
    The butterflies are everywhere this year and,last year I hardly seen any!!
    Strange I guess we are having a trade of year with you all!!

    Thanks you so much to for your kind words on the last photo,and help with the Ragged Robin!!
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing blog, and the butterflies, the Tiger Swallowhead, that is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Bob seen you around..: } thanks for coming on board!!
    My favorite too...thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey I like your flowers today Grammie G, and those spectacular butterflies. But don't spend too much time taking all those photographs because I know you're itching to mow those 2 acres of grass, you lucky girl. And don't forget to put your crash helmet and those "L" plates on, but most of all don't go crashing through those flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Grace,

    What an absolutely charming post. I do love your butterflies and yes it is a skipper.

    Ragged Robin can be pink/red according to my book on wildflower book. So perhaps that is where the robin comes in....just a guess.
    Sadly our native ragged robin is in decline. As you know I grow it in the garden, I also scatter the seeds along the lanes, and there are now plants growing happily there.

    So lovely to see such a vast expanse of them growing in your area.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your wildflower meadows are beautiful to see.. most have been lost in the UK as farming methods changed over the last fifty years.
    Campaigns to reinstate are ongoing though as the benefit to our declining wildlife is at last sinking in.
    Lovely images Grace...reminds me of my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Phil...It is hard juggling life between lawn mowing and a camera!! I run that thing full trottle and I probably need a helmet!!
    In fact after I finish here I am of to take a couple photos of the newly hatched Mourning Dove babies and mow the lawn..: }}
    Thanks for taking time from playing ring around the birds leg to come visit !!



    Hi Cheryl...sad that there is decline there of the Ragged Robin ..I think it is just beautiful..
    Thanks for your kind comment..butterflies are everywhere here this year!!
    Take care~ Grace



    Hi Andrew..It is sad that it is when something becomes exstinct that notice is taken!
    Thanks very much always like to hear reminds me off my childhood..you must have had a good one...Grace

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome summer,for sure! I'm in awe of your knowledge of nature

    ReplyDelete
  13. HI Jean...bring it on right!!
    Don't be in awe...I think I grew up with it!! hahaha
    Thanks....I can't knit though!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wild plants can be so delicate and dainty. The butterflies really suit being there. Lovely pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The white admiral is new to me. We have Red Admirals.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The flowers and butterflies are all so very delicate and pretty. Lovely images. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Some of those pictures look like a dream. As you say: "Summer is not just a figment of our imagination." Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks to Jenny,Abe,Lois,and Seasons for your kind comments!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Two of my favorites...flowers and flying things :-) These are great shots of them.

    ReplyDelete