Monday, February 15, 2010

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ABE AND GEORGE!!


    When I was in grammar school in that one room,little red school house, where the teacher actually rang a real bell ,----the brass colored one with the black handle -------clang! clang! clang!-------Time to get in from recess!!!,with the ----back house ---- where we asked to go to the basement ------of course that is confusing today being that we now refer to the room under our homes as the basement----- which back then was called the cellar???????????????   Now this was awhile back in a little town in Aroostook county Me.and I am now 66yr. old ----you do the math.
   
     Well now I am rambling and what I wanted to say was about how we celebrated Abe and George's birthdays which now ends up being presidents day, and just another day of for some, and a work day as usual for others.  Our teacher ''Miss Glady's Sharp" always had a little party for Abe Lincoln, on Feb. 12th. We all traced a silhoutte on black construction paper of Abe-----yes we had construction paper back then!!!!----- and Miss Sharp hung then all over the room.

     Then it as on to the holiday we had yesterday Valentine's Day, which was all hearts and valentine cards and, giggle's and tee hee's. A party with cupcakes send by Mom's covered with pink and red frosting and sprinkles. Of course Miss Sharp had big red hearts with white lace paper dollies to decorate the edges all on the walls along with Abe's silhoutte's
.  
      Now it George's turn,born on Feb. 22nd in 1732,-------did I mention that Abe was born in 1809 ------no guess I didn't . George sure had a few years up on Abe!!! Well of course Miss Sharp gave the same honor to George's birthday as Abe's.  Black construction paper silhoutte picture's that each one of us traced right up there on the wall along with, Abe,hearts,and now George. Thank goodness there was nothing else to put up for the month of February-----we must have been running out of room -----but I bet it stopped some of those draft's from coming in on those cold winter days!!!






Myth or Truth?????
All most forgot the story of the gift George recieved -----hey maybe it was for his birthday----axe for a 6 yr. old ---oh ya!!. Well the story goes that he chopped down his fathers favorite tree in the yard----the cherry tree---but when dear old Dad asked who did the deed------well George being the honest son he was confessed right away ---Dear old dad was very proud of his son for telling the truth ----and the whole tree thing --forgotten --honesty is the lesson!!!

       Well I guess you know by now Miss Sharp couldn't miss out on that oppurtunity to teach about honesty, and add yet -----you got it----pictures of a cherry tree and some of little jags of cherries where also added to the already full walls!!!


We had a great time at the little red Hatfield School House,and Miss Sharp was my best teacher ever !!!!!!!!!!!
I am the one in the next to back row on the right second one in,and my sister is on the left back row third one in the one giggling with her head down !!!!
What a crew!!!!!



2 comments:

  1. Let's see???Front Jane Barnes, Terry Merrill and I think Mary Adams. Next row Rhonda Merrill (maybe) and Eugenia Adams. Next - Patty Jean Adams and Sharon Irish. Next Bonnie Brewer and Mary Irish. Next Donald Jeffery, Leonard Merrill, Otis Stevens, Dick Barnes, Barbara Irish, Grace Monk and Ronnie Brewer(Not sure) Back row - Joyce Monk, Eugene Stevens, Janice Merrill and Philip Clark. What's my score?? 100%??

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must have been very interesting going to a one room school house with grades all mixed together. I posted some stuff my dad wrote about his in my other blog awhile back. I can remember doing those black silhouettes, too! I guess because they both have such well known profiles, it was a good exercise.

    ReplyDelete