Friday, August 15, 2014

~~~A Few More Swallow's Plus Bluebirds~~~

First I would like to say thanks to you kind bloggers for all you well wishes in my last post, much appreciated!
So far so good , and 11 days to go before this hopefully is over!!
I am so craving my favorite nighttime TV watching bowl of popcorn!!

Well I have a few more Tree Swallow's from another of my nest boxes to share !  These are not babies, but teenager!!   They are not learning to drive but flying is there thing, and hanging around the house ! : )


This was a nest full, and believe or not there is still one inside that hadn't fledged!
It was 2 days later when it left the nest!!



The parents kept trying to get junior to leave the nest, while the rest of the 
teenager hang out on the roof waiting for the first flight of junior!!


One got bored and made a few practice flights around the homestead!!


Even it's siblings tried to encourage him to come out!!

A little head kept showing up in the hole and the 
parents keep feeding, then it was all quite, around the old homestead!! 
I checked the box ..empty!!   It was a successful hatch !

Four nest boxes with tree Swallows where all successful hatches!
In two others I found some unhatched eggs and a few young that didn't survive !


Bluebirds 

The first nesting for the Bluebirds was not a success.   After I had noticed they had moved to the 
box you will see in the photo's I'm posting I 
checked the  box, and found 7 eggs that didn't hatch,and she had sat on them for  
the full incubation time!!  
They where all rotted inside!!


Second time was a success!!
This box is the oldest I have and has had many a repair
 I worried about them using this box, since I hadn't 
fixed the hole where the Red Squirrel had chewed it, and made it large enough that 
predators could get at the babies!!!


But all went well and on the hottest, haziest, humid day we had this summer the little guys left
the nest....



"All but one"


The parents made fly by's with food to temp it to come out, but stopped by with food too!!


It started to thunder, so I headed inside, and left them to there parenting!

When I went out later after the storm...the box was empty!!

I found these two that had fledged in the near by Cedar tree trying to balance there 
awkward unsteady legs !!


Just look at that adorable face!!

These cuties are hopefully going to have more siblings since I found that
the parents are nesting again in the same box, and I am seeing the 5 that fledged 
hanging out on and around the nest box!!
Just hope it is not to late in the season for a successful hatch!!

22 comments:

  1. both families are so darn cute! amazing the amount of work the parent birds go through! and then, turn around and do it again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such sweet photos, and hope the time will go quickly before you're eating your bowl of popcorn :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are lovely little things GG.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grace, I just love all your swallows and the cute baby Bluebirds. Awesome captures. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the photos and stories. Beautiful little families!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to hear you're back to "normal" Grace. Mmmm!

    You need to be so proud of your boxes and helping to bring all those insect eaters into the world. I'm sure they will repay your kindness over and over again. And don't worry about the late ones because as you know we get there in the end.

    Best Buddy Phil.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful series of photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. fabulous photos Grace - how great to have this in your garden. Good to hear the bowl of popcorn is getting closer now; take care

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Grace,

    So sorry to hear that you have been so unwell. Do hope you will back on your nightly popcorn:)

    What a success story in your garden.
    How wonderful to see many birds fledging.
    Some really lovely images of the youngsters.................

    ReplyDelete
  10. CUTE!! I GUESS some birds are like some people and are a little afraid to get out there in the big world!!
    Fun to watch I know!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is so special to be able to watch those babies take that first shaky flight.Thanks for sharing those moments here on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done Grammie! What a brood you've "raised!" Glad to hear you are doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  13. All I can say is, I'm surprised you don't get a visit from National Geographic or something similar. I believe you have a magic yard, a santuary. Thanks for sharing your world with us.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice to see this post with all the successful fledgings, Grace. Some very cute and wonderful captures as well. Yiu do have a knack for bird photography!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats congrats congrats!!! I wish I could do these kinds of boxes here. Maybe one of these days when I have gotten rid of all the feral cats. But for now, I'll enjoy your success. Congrats on your wildlife sanctuary around your home. Great birds!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi grammie, is everything ok? I'm missing your wonderful blogs and great photos. Just being a worry wort.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A beautiful and sweet series of photos!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love all these photos!!! You are so good at finding cool nature stuff. :) We hope you are enjoying a great fall!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just stopping by to check on you!! You haven't posted in awhile. Not many birds, eh? (Canada speak) Believe it or not, I still have yellow-rumps hanging around!! First to come, last to leave. Hope you're doing okay!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful photos of these beautiful birds !

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your beautiful bird pictures!

    ReplyDelete