Bird Hunting season is over the cold weather is settling in, and I believe the backyard mouser has moved
on!! ( You might, if you haven't already seen my past two posts want to check them out for a better understanding of the mouser)
I haven't seen him for a week now !!
Here are the last of the photo's I had taken of him at the end of October!!
On this day I was really surprised when I pushed the limit on how close I could get before he flew !!
I was within 14 to 20 feet before he started to slowly walk away , not looking concerned at all !!
I just kept taking photo's of him as I kept walking and following him!!
on!! ( You might, if you haven't already seen my past two posts want to check them out for a better understanding of the mouser)
I haven't seen him for a week now !!
Here are the last of the photo's I had taken of him at the end of October!!
On this day I was really surprised when I pushed the limit on how close I could get before he flew !!
I was within 14 to 20 feet before he started to slowly walk away , not looking concerned at all !!
I just kept taking photo's of him as I kept walking and following him!!
Keeping an eye on me!!
Took a few minutes for some preening also!!
But then without warning he came up like he had springs in his
legs, and caught me of guard !!
I just pointed and clicked at that point, and got these not so
great shot's of him taking flight!!
I so enjoyed having him spend time in the back yard !!
Hope you have enjoyed him too!
Great photos - especially the ones you took of the bird launching itself up into the air and flying off. It must have been wonderful to have a bird as big as that so close to you.
ReplyDeleteThanks Mick .... yes I love it!! : )
Deletehe was trying to play it cool, for sure! such neat birds.
ReplyDeleteThanks Teresa... : ))
DeleteWonderful captures! Hopefully he will be back next year.
ReplyDeleteThanks Karen... : )
DeleteWhat an amazing opportunity! The pictures are wonderful.
ReplyDeleteThanks you Ruth... : )
DeleteI don't know of anyone getting so close to a heron before. I simply think he was used to you and knew you posed no threat. I think you got some really great photos even when he taking flight. Well done on the mouser.
ReplyDeleteThanks John.... I always feel privileged for the trust when these things happened !! : )
DeleteGreat shots Grace, especially enjoyed the ones of him taking off.
ReplyDeleteThanks Denise... : )
Deleteexcellent shots Grace; so lovely that he chooses to visit with you
ReplyDeleteThanks Carole... I just loved it !!! : )
DeleteHI Grace How wonderful to have a Heron in your back yard. You got great shots of him especially the flight ones.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much Margaret ... glad you like those flight one, they where right into the sun!!!
DeleteBeautiful photos.
ReplyDeleteThanks Neil ... : ))
DeleteYou have make beautiful photos!
ReplyDeleteGreetings, RW & SK
Thanks so much .. : )
DeleteGrace, these are awesome shots of the heron. The last one is one of my favorites. Have a happy day!
ReplyDeleteThanks Eileen... : )
DeleteHe obviously liked you GG.{:))
ReplyDeleteThanks Roy..... Ya I guess so, at least he didn't run off!! : ))
DeleteHope it's OK
ReplyDeleteWe have two herons living in our backyard...its more a marsh than a regular yard. I saw them both fly over the house today. One stands under the bridge and fishes away on occasion. I have only seen one at a time recently but today was glad to see them both.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful series of the heron. I like the lift off photos.
ReplyDeleteThats a big bird! I also liked the "mouse eating" post, which I seemed to have missed before.
ReplyDeleteCheers - Stewart M - Melbourne
hehe, your getting closer!! these are marvelous!!
ReplyDeletelove those chicken legs, how in the world do they provide the strength this bird must need?!?!
Hi Grace, yes I have enjoyed your pics :-) and he is very fearless. The ones we see over here is very difficult to get close to. Great job !
ReplyDeleteYou did just fine at capturing that takeoff! I know just how quickly a bird like that can take off. The Sandhill Cranes that visit in our neighborhood always catch me by surprise when they take off, and like you I just click madly away hoping that I'll have something in focus. Mostly I end up with a lot out of focus, but every once in a while I get it right.
ReplyDeleteI love it, the Heron flying are superb, well done Grace.
ReplyDeleteWhat fun to have a GBHE hanging around your back yard!
ReplyDeleteThat heron decided you had more than enough pictures Grace so thought to head off and give some other photgraphers a chance too. he looks pretty pleased with himself though - preening away like that and posing for yet another picture. Nice work my friend - what's next?
ReplyDeleteHi,
ReplyDeleteI just found your blog and wanted to invite you to guest post on our site Retirement And Good Living about bird watching. Many visitors to our site are interested in various hobbies and I think they would be interested in a post about this topic.
Earlier this year we launched our retirement site Retirement And Good Living at retirementandgoodliving.com that provides information on a variety of topics including travel, retirement locations, health, finance, hobbies, volunteering, part time work and much more to boomers, recent retirees and others thinking about or planning for retirement.
Currently the blog section of our site is comprised entirely of posts by guests on a variety of topics. To date over 100 guests from around the globe provided posts to our blog.
Please send me an email and I will provide additional information.
Thanks,
Simone
Hope the heron returns some time, Grace, as I have enjoyed the posts.
ReplyDeleteHappy Thanksgiving to you.
...I like the shots of his take off. I'm going to go back and check out the previous posts. I have catching up to do! Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!
ReplyDeleteThey are just like our Grey Herons here, and you caught him well as he took off.
ReplyDeleteSuper shooting Grace!!! I hope I can get out with my camera soon....Im getting stir crazy!!!
ReplyDeleteThis is the most recent blog of yours I could find but i wanted to say Happy New year to you. From Findlay. And i really like the icy berries on your banner picture.
ReplyDelete