Wednesday, November 6, 2013

"Blue Heron Eat What ???"


Imagine my surprise to look out my back window an see the Great Blue Heron walking through my back yard !!! ( October 10th)
The distance was a stretch, but got the camera an took a string of shot's of him!!
Then worked my way outside and tried to get closer,but didn't want to scare him!  Well he didn't seem to worried about my presents and I wish I had pushed it to get closer!!

Results is poor quality photo's , but the sequences is interesting, and a surprised to me!!


Here he is passing through the yard!! 


Making the edge to the field!!


Stops suddenly!!


Falls forward!!
I'm thinking omg there is something wrong with him!!


Then up he came with what..."A mouse"!! : )
Until I downloaded these I thought it was probably a frog he had because as far as I knew they 
feed on aquatic animals in or around water !!


He threw it to the ground , "gave it a good thrashing".... 


"picked it back up" ...


"tossed it into the back off his throat"...


Ooop's...must be to much fur and fight, and up it came ...


Another try and down it went!!

You learn something everyday about nature !!

I have more to share about him, and my thoughts on why he hung around here!!

Linking to Wild Bird Wednesday

45 comments:

  1. nope, i knew they eat mice, voles and the like, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I did not know either. Great shots anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup I knew they did to have seen them in the fields here do this , they also eat frogs here in the marshy swampy area of our river . Nice photos lucky you to have him visit your yard . Thanks for sharing . Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Grace That was a great series of shots about your Heron. No I didn't know either that they eat mice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness! I would never have thought that he would take a mouse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am surprised about the heron eating the mouse! I guess it does not mind the hair. Cool series, Grace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen... Must go done pretty dry with the hair!! : )

      Delete
  7. Wow! Wonderful to have a bird like that so close to you and the sequence of photos is very interesting. Maybe it's the same with birds also - if you're really hungry you'll eat anything!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy Mouse-arama.. guess they make good pest control then! Sweet shots Grace...now is there gonna be a pellet come back up I wonder???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sondra.... Lol now that's a thought, hair ball : )

      Delete
  9. That was a great sequence. Lucky you to catch him making a catch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great sequence of shots! What a catch ... on camera that is ! Ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent. It was worth the effort to see it catch a meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Adrian... Ya something I won't forget!!

      Delete
  12. Hi grammie, you outdid yourself. What a shot, all of them. I can't remember the last time I saw one of them. They are fun to watch. I envy you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John... Couldn't hardly believe my eyes !! : ))

      Delete
  13. What a fun sequence of shots! Glad I don't have to swallow my food whole or with fur on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elaine.... You and me too!! That fur would be a bummer!! : )

      Delete
  14. Awesome series! I didn't think they'd eat mice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gunilla .... I guess a lot of us didn't!! : )

      Delete
  15. Hi Grace...Great series of images, well spotted.
    I guess it was using the same philosophy as I employ...Never turn down the chance of a good meal!!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great share and yes, they even eat small Red Squirrels, and other interesting things. You were fortunate to get these!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lucky day. Bet your heart was pounding a million beats a minute!! I would have been so excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Muffy... Lucky yes"" never know what is going to show up in my yard !!
      It was exciting!! : )

      Delete
  18. hehe....good thing you keep that camera close!!

    it's so strange what they do/eat as the weather is changing!!

    ps...my blue jays are so kind and not noisey at all. i have heard that but mine line up and wait their turn for peanuts ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. ooohhh and your pictures are good, they are difficult to photograph!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These birds are great opportunists, and generally if it moves its lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fantastic sequence Grace.
    Like Dave says, if it don't move quick enough .......

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is sure one way for mic control, but not sure it easier than felines. And, I also never knew herons ate anything other than aquatic life, Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Grace, I have learned something today. I only thought they ever ate fish! Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  24. :) Looks like you have no need for a cat if you have a heron to do the work for you. Great shots and certainly a surprise to me too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow...what a series of shots! I've never seen them eat a mouse, but I guess I'm not surprised. I did see one eat a big snake once and frogs. I guess I thought they only ate things along the water. Never thought about a mouse. You were in the right place at the right time for those!

    ReplyDelete
  26. How fascinating! I had no idea. I always love learning from nature...it's endlessly fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Grace, I had no idea they eat rodents! what an amazing sequence to capture! Don't you just love those feet?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow! So glad you were there to capture that. Excellent series! I've never seen a Great Blue capture a mouse! Very interesting...

    ReplyDelete